OH THOSE MORNING JITTERS

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Re: OH THOSE MORNING JITTERS

Post by MonMotha » Fri May 01, 2015 3:35 pm

Merk wrote:MonMotha did you ever find the IPTV wholesaler who were looking for?!?!
Maybe. I'm browsing. Do you know of any?
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Mon May 04, 2015 2:57 pm

I do not, unfortunately. IPTV is one of those spheres of influence in the networking world I never got exposed to. Your NANOG question motivated me to look up the wikipedia article for IPTV though!

Merk

Post by Merk » Fri May 15, 2015 9:24 am

Test is tomorrow

I'm ready for this to be God damn over so I can move on to the next exam :(

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Fri May 15, 2015 1:58 pm

Do you need/want to use my lab for anything?
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.

Merk

Post by Merk » Fri May 15, 2015 3:00 pm

I think I'll be good, luckily I can do all the shit I need to do for this test in GNS3.

I'll need your help on the CCNP SWITCH test though

Merk

Post by Merk » Sat May 16, 2015 5:33 pm

Holy shit that exam was super easy, I think I used maybe half of the allotted 120 minutes for the test. It was by far the easiest of the exams I've taken and I scored a 967/1000.

Some highlights:

-No BGP at all, holy shit, how do you even mention the most critical routing protocol out there?
-Lots of IPv6 stuff and NATv6 stuff that no one uses
-5 labs on the test, most of them were really simple except for the route redistribution lab which required knowing how to manipulate the default AD. The other ones dealt with setting up OSPF, route summarization, and setting up stub areas in Eigrp and OSPF

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Sun May 17, 2015 12:06 pm

Holy shit the number of acronyms is staggering.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun May 17, 2015 2:41 pm

People definitely use IPv6. Enterprise is seriously lagging behind, but almost all service providers and content networks have deployed it. Now IPv6 NAT - yeah, that's not very common. The only real applications for it I know of are PCI-DSS compliance (it explicitly mandates NAT for some reason) and doing a non-BGP multi-home for SMB applications where you NAT between a ULA and the two prefixes you have from your two providers.

Absolutely nothing about BGP on a mid-level routing exam seems like an oversight. I'd expect at least making sure you're able to set up a basic dual-peer, single edge AS with some minimal filters.

I'm curious...do they allow access to the OS config reference manual on these things? I'd be totally lost without them if only because I can't remember what command does what on a given vendor's OS. Almost all of them are pretty good at giving you help but often only if you can guess at the partial command name, and it's not always obvious.
A normality test:
+++ATH

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon May 18, 2015 8:20 am

On the Cisco exams they do give you access to IOS help (the "?" command) which does help immensely because you're right, it's really hard to memorize the exact commands. On live equipment you're never without IOS help so thankfully Cisco doesn't take it away for the sake of taking it away.

Now, the IOS on the test is not a real IOS so it has some quirks. You are locked out of commands that you don't necessarily need to access for that particular lab or commands that Cisco doesn't want you to use for a lab. For example, if Cisco wants you to force traffic across a specific router by tweaking a routing protocol's administrative distance then Cisco will disable your ability to "cheat the system" and configure a static route. The IOS will throw a "This command is not enabled" message and that sort of gives you the hint that you're getting sidetracked on the lab and need to take a different approach.

Oddly enough there was one instance on the exam where a command was locked out that I 100% knew I needed. The question asked me what the EIGRP advertised distance was for a specific network and the "show ip eigrp topology" command was locked out. The way that this particular question was set up I could use process of elimination to get the right answer but the fact that I couldn't use the exact command I needed was pretty amusing. They also disabled "copy run star" so I was really fucking nervous that I was going to get a 0 for all the labs since Cisco traditionally only considered saved configs when grading labs.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon May 18, 2015 2:19 pm

TIL I learned that there's no way I could pass a Cisco exam.

I'm totally lost without the relevant vendor config guide. Each vendor does things in sometimes wildly different ways despite having an otherwise "Cisco-like" CLI, and of course some vendors have a totally different style CLI (e.g. Juniper). There's no way I can remember where in the config hierarchy a given vendor puts a given function.

Then again, Cisco's config guides kinda suck to start with, and I usually end up just flubbing around asking IOS for help until I find what I need and its syntax, anyway...
A normality test:
+++ATH

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon May 18, 2015 5:36 pm

Yeah it's pretty bullshit and I guarantee that on any other vendor's equipment I would have no idea what I was doing. Hell, Cisco IOS-XR is a complete clusterfuck to me.

But anyway, let's say that someone may have shown interest in having me work for them. It would be a ~20% increase in pay and I would be working with people who I have worked with before. I have no idea what the corporate culture is like or if they would enjoy my antics and obesity. What pay jump would it take for you to consider taking on a job a new place?

Let's dig deeper, suppose you're trying to buy a house, is it a good idea to switch jobs (within the same industry) while you're trying to secure a mortgage?

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon May 18, 2015 8:45 pm

Well, since I enjoy working for myself, I can say that trying to hire me full-time is likely to be a pretty expensive proposition. I don't think anybody would end up going for it.

Your mileage will probably vary with your situation and preferences. 20% is the range in which many people start looking at jumping ship, especially if there's also better opportunity for advancement.
A normality test:
+++ATH

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue May 19, 2015 7:24 am

That's sort of my conundrum. I know that with my current employer that there's an opportunity for advancement and that my position is very stable. If I were to jump ship then there's a real possibility that they could shitcan me after 90 days and/or pigeonhole me into a position with no real chance to go anywhere.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed May 27, 2015 9:46 am

Does anyone here have any experience / advice on asking for a raise? It's either raise time or GTFO time for me but I am so cripplingly socially awkward that I don't know how to go about asking for a raise.