Discussion of other non-rhythm/music games

Moderator: Moderators

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

The hunt for a new fightstick

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed Mar 04, 2015 4:50 pm

I own both a 360 and PS3 now and wish to get a new fightstick. There are a few things I want from a fightstick.

- High quality. (I consider MadCatz's older TE fightsticks to be the entry level of high end quality-wise and am looking for better.)
- Work on both 360 and PS3 without any mods.
- Low difficulty for maintaining or replacing parts.

Any and all help would be appreciated.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: The hunt for a new fightstick

Post by Merk » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:02 pm

Shouldn't you get a PS4 / XBone fightstick since that's where all the fighting games are going?

I can only recommend this one but it's not PS3 / 360 compatible without mods as far as I know: http://www.amazon.com/Fighter-FightStic ... B001M22WN8

I have no idea why it's listed at $400 on Amazon, I think I got mine as a birthday gift for ~$100.

I think the biggest question to ask yourself is what games you want to play first since there aren't too many exclusives out there. Killer Instinct being the sole 360 exclusive that I can think of. SF5 is going to be a PS4 exclusive but that's a long ways away still. If you want to play 3rd Strike, the only fighting game that matters, then you can get that shizzle for free via Fightcade and any input device you can imagine will work!

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Mar 04, 2015 5:20 pm

I'll sell you my 360 TE Round 2 stick! Maybe!

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed Mar 04, 2015 9:29 pm

Riot wrote:I'll sell you my 360 TE Round 2 stick! Maybe!
Yea, see all three major guidelines as MadCatz meets none of them.

With the exception of the Mortal Kombat reboot, Injustice, and maybe MK X, which all are available on PC, I don't play most fighting games. There are plenty of other games that benefit from using a fight stick. In addition, I don't see any reason to go for a Xbone or PS4 for quite a while as currently there aren't any games I want to play on them that are console only.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Mar 04, 2015 10:04 pm

The 360 is nice to just plug and play in PC. Only reason I still have it. I will probably be buying a PS4 stick soon enough.

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Mar 05, 2015 9:29 am

Sorry, I shouldn't have assumed that you wanted a fightstick to play fighting games.

I don't know if you're going to find something that meets all those criteria. There are definitely sticks out there that are 360/PS3/PC compatible right out of the box but they're usually a piece of shit or break easily. Your best bet might be to get a stick and then get a converter or mod one.

This might work for you -- http://etokki.com/Playstation3/Joytron- ... cade-stick -- but I can't comment on its quality. If you're going to use it for shmups or something other than fighting games then this will probably meet your needs.

This comes recommended by some Soul Caliber forum -- http://eightarc.com/fusion-ivory/ -- this one looks pretty good but again, I can't comment on its quality. It has Sanwas and shit in it so it's probably not too bad.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Thu Mar 05, 2015 1:55 pm

Merk wrote:Sorry, I shouldn't have assumed that you wanted a fightstick to play fighting games.

I don't know if you're going to find something that meets all those criteria. There are definitely sticks out there that are 360/PS3/PC compatible right out of the box but they're usually a piece of shit or break easily. Your best bet might be to get a stick and then get a converter or mod one.

This might work for you -- http://etokki.com/Playstation3/Joytron- ... cade-stick -- but I can't comment on its quality. If you're going to use it for shmups or something other than fighting games then this will probably meet your needs.

This comes recommended by some Soul Caliber forum -- http://eightarc.com/fusion-ivory/ -- this one looks pretty good but again, I can't comment on its quality. It has Sanwas and shit in it so it's probably not too bad.
The joytron/mayflash uses rather cheap parts so it really wouldn't work. As for eightarc, I have looked at the Qenba V4s they have, but I am unsure of how good they are. I was going to go JacensCustoms, but the store for it is open like 2 weeks out of the year so I have given up on them.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Merk

Post by Merk » Thu Mar 05, 2015 2:39 pm

DJ Dao really just needs to release a fightstick.

If I were in your shoes I'd go with the Eightarc since I don't think you're going to find anything else that comes close to meeting your needs outside of building one yourself or modding a MadCatz TE

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Thu Mar 05, 2015 4:02 pm

EightArcs are good, or Qanba. I'm gonna get a new PS4 compatible one, but wonder if those work in PC easily.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Fri Mar 06, 2015 3:49 pm

Riot wrote:EightArcs are good, or Qanba. I'm gonna get a new PS4 compatible one, but wonder if those work in PC easily.
EightArc's Fusion is built by Qanba and uses the same parts as the Q4. The main difference between the Fusion and Q4 are mainly the start button placement (The Q4 has it on the right of the top and there are people who are scared of pressing it during tournaments which I find unwarranted as using the six left buttons is the fastest way to avoid this issue), the Q4 having a handle whereas the Fusion doesn't, and the different artwork. I most likely will get Qanba, but will purchase through eightarc's amazon site as I've heard positive things about their support.

As for a PS4 fightstick, I know that the Hori Real Arcade Pro 4 supports both PS3 and PS4, the issue at hand is finding it in stock and under $200. The sad reality though is that oddly enough, the developers of skullgirls actually made a driver for PS4 that allows the game to use PS3 fightsticks, but most of the big games probably won't do this. The end result is that I think the best thing to do is wait for a good control board for PS4 and Xbone to come out and just play on PC for most games for the time being.
Memorable 2016 quotes:

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Amp Divorax » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:48 pm

A bit of an update on this. Due to some considerable issues I have read about concerning the qanba control boards, I have decided against purchasing one of them. Instead, I have placed a pre-order for the Hori Real Arcade Pro 4 Kai that is coming out on the 14th.
Memorable 2016 quotes: