Current events

IndyDDR's online socialization center: general topics not related to specific coverage areas

Moderator: Moderators

Fluffyumpkins

Current events

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:26 pm

Making a new topic for venting opinions on current events. 'Current' being whatever is going on in the news at the time.

This whole Chick-Fil-A thing is ridiculous. If you don't like it, don't give them your money. If you do like it, then stay the course. For all the haters, don't forget that Chick-Fil-A pretty consistently donated a whole mess of free sandwiches as DDR-A-Thon prizes. It isn't like they're a soulless organization. They aren't committing any atrocities. They just don't like gay folk. If that's enough to prevent you from eating delicious chicken, so be it. Just don't blow it out of proportion.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Re: Current events

Post by Riot » Fri Aug 03, 2012 1:57 pm

I don't think the restaurant itself is bad but the owner seems pretty dumb. I mainly don't like all the people standing in line to "support free speech."

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Fri Aug 03, 2012 2:56 pm

I lol so hard at the people who are hiding their homophobia behind free speech. I guarantee you these exact same people would be singing a different tune if you brought up the KKK and Neo-Nazi groups.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:16 pm

I commented "Hungry Hungry Homophobes, the new boardgame from Milton Bradley!" on WOWO news' picture of people standing in line and the angry responses throughout the rest of the Facebook thread were pretty funny. People are really really dumb and it's kind of depressing.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Fri Aug 03, 2012 3:55 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:Making a new topic for venting opinions on current events. 'Current' being whatever is going on in the news at the time.

This whole Chick-Fil-A thing is ridiculous. If you don't like it, don't give them your money. If you do like it, then stay the course. For all the haters, don't forget that Chick-Fil-A pretty consistently donated a whole mess of free sandwiches as DDR-A-Thon prizes. It isn't like they're a soulless organization. They aren't committing any atrocities. They just don't like gay folk. If that's enough to prevent you from eating delicious chicken, so be it. Just don't blow it out of proportion.
In the interest of full disclosure, I should mention that Chick-Fil-A is a franchise, and as such the restaurants usually have different ownership when they are not in the range of headquarters. The end result is that the restaurants do not necessarily have the same views, which http://newsfeed.time.com/2012/08/03/goi ... ride-fest/ shows upfront. Also, I would be legitimately surprised if the locations that have helped IndyDDR with DDR-A-Thon events do not have a differing point of view than the headquarters as well.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:09 pm

True, but that's the risk you take if you open a franchise. There's generally an annual fee and a fixed profit share amount that goes to corporate.

Merk

Post by Merk » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:18 pm

I can't fucking wait until I get to open my own Subway!

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Aug 03, 2012 4:34 pm

Merk wrote:I can't fucking wait until I get to open my own Subway!
You opening a Subway in the future isn't a current event. Watch it or the next current event is going to be 'Merk banned on IndyDDR for being a douchequake.'

I don't think I can ban people. You lucked out this time.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:49 pm

Damn. I went to chick-fil-a to see drama and there wasn't anything of note going on. Just fat people and teens eating chicken. I feel cheated.

Merk

Post by Merk » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:52 pm

What did you eat there?

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Fri Aug 03, 2012 5:58 pm

Woman in front of me at store bought a pou.d of potato wedges, fried chicken, and ranch to smother it all.

Don't worry, though. Obesity is genetic so she needs a Rascal scooter. Support gays, eat a salad.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Post by Pokebis » Fri Aug 03, 2012 10:55 pm

I was actually aware of the CEO not liking gays a long time ago.
This controversy is astoundingly annoying. And all it does is make me think about how any CEO can just step up with some extremist viewpoint on any large political or social issue and get a shitload of controversy going letting their sales skyrocket as every news site/station and Facebook wall is littered in endless circles of people talking about the company. In this case it's about chicken. Fucking Chicken.

But, seriously, top tier business move intentional or not. Exploiting our social networked era is the smartest thing you can do as an entrepreneur.

Merk

Post by Merk » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:16 pm

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:00 pm

Pokebis wrote:I was actually aware of the CEO not liking gays a long time ago.
This controversy is astoundingly annoying. And all it does is make me think about how any CEO can just step up with some extremist viewpoint on any large political or social issue and get a shitload of controversy going letting their sales skyrocket as every news site/station and Facebook wall is littered in endless circles of people talking about the company. In this case it's about chicken. Fucking Chicken.

But, seriously, top tier business move intentional or not. Exploiting our social networked era is the smartest thing you can do as an entrepreneur.
I doubt this will pay off in the long haul.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Sun Aug 05, 2012 12:43 pm

Not necessarily current events in the news, but current events in videogame world.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2012/08/04/ ... al-reality - Article

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8gaqQdyf ... r_embedded#! - QuakeCon panel video (long, but interesting)

Basically it's about virtual/augmented reality finally getting to a point where it's viable with this Oculus thing and a lot of high profile devs are gonna try to back this thing. Will be interesting to follow over the next few years!