ummmmm Guild Wars 2 anybody?

Discussion of other non-rhythm/music games

Moderator: Moderators

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

ummmmm Guild Wars 2 anybody?

Post by Riot » Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:49 pm

So this game has been in the works for a looong time. I've played the beta weekends a little bit (another one coming up this weekend), and the game comes out August 28th. Basically, this is a giant MMO with no sub fee and a lot more emphasis on upheaving a lot of current MMO standards.

-No holy trinity (dps/healer/tank), all classes can do a bit of each thanks to weapon set switching

-No gear grind (all max level gear has the same overall amount of stats, though you can get continuously better cosmetic gear). This keeps PVP balanced and makes it so the game is not a giant treadmill grind and waiting around for raids like other MMOs, and so parties aren't like "need 1 tank, must be geared" blahblah

-Focus on collaboration (no kill-stealing cuz experience is shared no matter what, dynamic quest events that encourage everyone to work together, WvWvW combat which is basically server vs. server vs. server in a massive central PVP zone). You can also progress in levels doing anything you want (crafting, PVE, PVP, exploration, etc.)

-More action oriented combat (you have to aim your attacks, dodge, switch weapon sets, and not just click and forget). You can switch weapon sets on the fly and each combo has different skill sets. For example, dual axes gives you more quick crit-based attacks, axe+war horn will give you party buffs and stuff, dual swords is bleed-based, sword+shield more defensive, etc. etc.). This means if you want to be a melee DPS you don't HAVE to be a Warrior. You can be a melee Ranger and have a pet, or a melee Thief and have more stealth/poison/stealing, etc. And you can be a gun-toting Warrior if you want ranged (and you can switch back and forth in combat if your enemy is running away for instance).

-Level scaling lets you play with friends no matter what level/content they're doing. If you're level 1, you can go do world PVP and help your server and be scaled up to level 80 while you're in that zone (obviously your gear won't be as good but you can still help out). Oppositely, if you're level 80 and your friend is just starting and wants to do a dungeon, you can be scaled down to the content and still gain experience and rewards. Each dungeon has 3 explorable routes too with dynamic events that change each time you play.

-The main PVP zone is massive and has structures to defend, siege engines to buy and use, underwater combat and secret routes, puzzles, NPC camps, and more. Here's a video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7khMRQjfsc You can also do instanced 5v5 pvp matches whenever you want if you like more traditional small pvp arenas. I think it'll be fun to get on vent and coordinate some newb smashing either in arenas or out in world pvp in the Eternal Battleground

-It's pretty! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x6e9XNCFlqQ cities are huge and very nice looking. Beta had quality settings locked so a lot of the videos online don't look that good currently. Crank up the settings on that new 'puter!

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game ... -GW2-.html Here's a big list of information, mostly up to date I believe, though it looks like a few things might be updated by now.

This guy's got probably the best videos about the game when it comes to commentary, interviews, analysis, walkthroughs, etc. http://www.youtube.com/results?search_q ... 1m9MREJ6kM

Fluffyumpkins

Re: ummmmm Guild Wars 2 anybody?

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:10 pm

I don't know a lot about these world vs world games, but didn't they try this in DAoC? Is this game supposed to be something new and different?

I'm hesitant to dive into a game that I'm sure will take a crap-lot of time.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:13 pm

Yeah realm vs realm vs realm was in Dark Age of Camelot and from what everyone always says, people loved it. It creates a much better balance than 1v1 factions because people can team up to take out the big guy and it doesn't feel quite so crushing to be behind when there is another faction in the race as well. Plus it's server vs. server vs. server which hasn't really been done before so there will be a lot of server pride going on. Anyways, Dark Age of Camelot is over 10 years old now and nobody has done much that's similar since. A lot of what GW2 is offering is new and different than most conventional MMOs have been like for the last decade or so. It's just a more balanced take at competitive PvP and ArenaNet seems to have the "but is it fun?" mantra when it comes to designing a lot of elements of the game, especially PVE. I think it'll do very very well.

The other nice thing though is that though it still will take a bit of time to reach max level, like I said, there's no rush since there's no subscription fee, level scaling lets you play with friends no matter when, everything gives you exp, so you can play at your own pace and make progress no matter how long you have or what you're doing. I doubt it will take much longer to get to max level than 60 hours.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:29 pm

I am not going to play this game hope that helps! MMOs are an awful, over-saturated genre and boy howdy am I glad I got burnt out back in the EQ days when I could afford the time to do massive time sinks.

How many games have claimed that they are a "WoW killer"?

How many games have actually beaten WoW in terms of critical and commercial success?

ummmmm Owned much?!?!??!

I guarantee you this game is going to be the same paper, rock, scissors bullshit that exists in every competitive MMO ever.

Stop trying to find the next ultimate high, nothing to ever going to be as good as Ultima or EQ or whatever MMO you played when you were 14 and made you take your first hit of the MMO crack-pipe. Go outside and smoke some real ganja. ONE LUV

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:40 pm

Merk you are just a jaded bitter man who expects every game to be terrible and then you create a self fulfilling prophecy when you actually play anything new.

Top 10 reasons to be interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBC_ig73aMs

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:40 pm

I just want to be 14 again sitting in my parents basement playing Final Fantasy 7.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Jul 18, 2012 4:47 pm

Yes we all do but if you are a poopoo about every game you won't ever find the next Final Fantasy 7! There are plenty of great games out there! Plentyoffish.com

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:32 pm

This sounds carebear as shit.

AI might mess around with it if the wprld pvp is similar to daoc.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Wed Jul 18, 2012 7:33 pm

Every RPG is carebear these days but at least this one has a strong focus on PVP and it's not a contest of who has spent more hours in a raid dungeon but who has better tactics. Although I do like getting really good gear and smooshing babies I guess having balance in PVP MIGHT be good in the long run, especially when you're on the receiving end of getting destroyed by a neckbeard with top tier gear.