Announcement and discussion of music/rhythm game events and tournaments

Moderator: Moderators

Nick The Newbie
Light
Light

Re: MAGFest - Jan 5 - 8

Post by Nick The Newbie » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:48 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:
Nick The Newbie wrote:Honestly, I'm not 100% sure. I see that they sometimes link to us, just like I saw you guys did, but I can't view the site for obvious reasons. One friend I have on there has said he has seen threads.
For what it's worth, Josh Whelchel is the gentleman that tipped me off.

I would think the sows community would be into something like this. Bemani, after all, couldn't be any more about video game music. The more I'm reading about it, the more I'm getting hype. AVGN will be there. If you guys actually manage to get a Taiko no Tatsujin cab, I'd be crazy impressed.

A bit far to drive, but I'm down to fly. Any other IndyDDR folk interested? Riot-kun? Brandon-kun? Brian-kun? Whoeverelse-kun?

Josh is a great guy and I love having him every year. He donated a lot of downloads of his album to people who participated in our Red Cross Japan charity drive! Not to toot my own horn, but it's not a matter of "managing to get" that taiko cab, as we've actually had it for the past 2 years! I also forget that we have some kind of PIU cab as well as guitar freaks and drum mania. Here's a pic of most of our music cabs from last year:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/verne/5393765291/lightbox/

No worries to you babbies who can't make it out, I understand how tough the trip would be. I was a poor college student who drove to my first MAGFest almost 7 years ago. I didn't have a hotel room so I had to sleep in the video room and had to use other people's showers. In the end, though, I liked it so much that I haven't missed a year since and have now moved my way up to a place on the board of directors.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Oct 18, 2011 10:54 pm

Nick The Newbie wrote:
Fluffyumpkins wrote:
Nick The Newbie wrote:Honestly, I'm not 100% sure. I see that they sometimes link to us, just like I saw you guys did, but I can't view the site for obvious reasons. One friend I have on there has said he has seen threads.
For what it's worth, Josh Whelchel is the gentleman that tipped me off.

I would think the sows community would be into something like this. Bemani, after all, couldn't be any more about video game music. The more I'm reading about it, the more I'm getting hype. AVGN will be there. If you guys actually manage to get a Taiko no Tatsujin cab, I'd be crazy impressed.

A bit far to drive, but I'm down to fly. Any other IndyDDR folk interested? Riot-kun? Brandon-kun? Brian-kun? Whoeverelse-kun?

Josh is a great guy and I love having him every year. He donated a lot of downloads of his album to people who participated in our Red Cross Japan charity drive! Not to toot my own horn, but it's not a matter of "managing to get" that taiko cab, as we've actually had it for the past 2 years! I also forget that we have some kind of PIU cab as well as guitar freaks and drum mania. Here's a pic of most of our music cabs from last year:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/verne/5393765291/lightbox/

No worries to you babbies who can't make it out, I understand how tough the trip would be. I was a poor college student who drove to my first MAGFest almost 7 years ago. I didn't have a hotel room so I had to sleep in the video room and had to use other people's showers. In the end, though, I liked it so much that I haven't missed a year since and have now moved my way up to a place on the board of directors.
You should advertise (if you haven't already) on Bemanistyle.com.

Nick The Newbie
Light
Light

Post by Nick The Newbie » Tue Oct 18, 2011 11:29 pm

Thanks for the tip! I'll see if I can get anything up there. If possible, it would be a huge help if anyone here that's also on that forum made a thread over there. We've always had a shoestring budget for advertising, so word of mouth is our best friend when it comes to spreading the word. If anything, it's worked out in our favor because we get a tighter-knit network of people that attend MAGFest rather than people who just happened to see an ad somewhere.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Wed Oct 19, 2011 12:01 am

As long as no stupid elevator parties happen I may be interested.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:58 am

Nick The Newbie wrote:Thanks for the tip! I'll see if I can get anything up there. If possible, it would be a huge help if anyone here that's also on that forum made a thread over there. We've always had a shoestring budget for advertising, so word of mouth is our best friend when it comes to spreading the word. If anything, it's worked out in our favor because we get a tighter-knit network of people that attend MAGFest rather than people who just happened to see an ad somewhere.
I guess I meant 'post on their forums' by advertising. :D Would promoting be a better word?

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:38 am

Fluffyumpkins wrote:A bit far to drive, but I'm down to fly. Any other IndyDDR folk interested? Riot-kun? Brandon-kun? Brian-kun? Whoeverelse-kun?
I'd be interested, but I'm not your -kun. :P

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:41 am

Ho wrote:
Fluffyumpkins wrote:A bit far to drive, but I'm down to fly. Any other IndyDDR folk interested? Riot-kun? Brandon-kun? Brian-kun? Whoeverelse-kun?
From wiki: It can also be used by females when addressing a male that they are emotionally attached to or have known for a long period of time.

I see no problem with this. ♥v♥

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:54 am

What I want to know is, what the heck is an elevator party?

I mean, I can surmise that it's a party in an elevator, but why would people do this? It sounds dumb as hell but that's probably the point.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:31 am

Fluffyumpkins wrote:
Ho wrote:
From wiki: It can also be used by females when addressing a male that they are emotionally attached to or have known for a long period of time.

I see no problem with this. ♥v♥
<3

Nick The Newbie
Light
Light

Post by Nick The Newbie » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:37 am

Elevator parties at MAGFest are a long legendary tale. Two years ago, at M8, a couple guys dressed in 80s garb, armed themselves with a ghetto blaster, and proceeded to dance it off in the elevators all weekend. It was quite a hilarious because you would walk into the elevator, see a guy or two dancing, and then you would get off at your floor. Fast forward one year later, some other gentlemen, completely unrelated to the first group, thought it would be funny to take it to the extreme. They got a group of people, and just played loud music while jumping up and down in the elevators yelling ELEVATOR PARTY ELEVATOR PARTY. It was the most hideously annoying thing I've ever seen in my life. The 30 floor hotel only had 4 elevators, so with them taking up one, it made the wait for the elevator exceedingly long. What made matters worse is that they broke one of the elevators and then moved to another. The entire order made it a nightmare to go to your hotel room. Our security was near powerless to stop them because of the difficulty of tracking down the position of the elevator.

Rest, assured, though, that the new venue has 12 elevators, and we are fucking pissed about last year, so we are elevator party proof at this point.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:51 am

Nick The Newbie wrote:Elevator parties at MAGFest are a long legendary tale. Two years ago, at M8, a couple guys dressed in 80s garb, armed themselves with a ghetto blaster, and proceeded to dance it off in the elevators all weekend. It was quite a hilarious because you would walk into the elevator, see a guy or two dancing, and then you would get off at your floor. Fast forward one year later, some other gentlemen, completely unrelated to the first group, thought it would be funny to take it to the extreme. They got a group of people, and just played loud music while jumping up and down in the elevators yelling ELEVATOR PARTY ELEVATOR PARTY. It was the most hideously annoying thing I've ever seen in my life. The 30 floor hotel only had 4 elevators, so with them taking up one, it made the wait for the elevator exceedingly long. What made matters worse is that they broke one of the elevators and then moved to another. The entire order made it a nightmare to go to your hotel room. Our security was near powerless to stop them because of the difficulty of tracking down the position of the elevator.

Rest, assured, though, that the new venue has 12 elevators, and we are fucking pissed about last year, so we are elevator party proof at this point.
You were e. party proof until Merk and I found out about this. Sorry.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:58 am

I looked it up and it's only $150 for a round trip flight which is an incredible steal. We'd be arriving at Baltimore's airport (BWI) though which serves the DC area. How hard would it be to get from that airport to the Gaylord?

And yeah I hope we can get at least 4 people to come because $140 + taxes per night at the hotel is expensiveeeeeeel.

Nick The Newbie
Light
Light

Post by Nick The Newbie » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:02 am

Merk wrote:I looked it up and it's only $150 for a round trip flight which is an incredible steal. We'd be arriving at Baltimore's airport (BWI) though which serves the DC area. How hard would it be to get from that airport to the Gaylord?

And yeah I hope we can get at least 4 people to come because $140 + taxes per night at the hotel is expensiveeeeeeel.
A series of public buses and rail can get you from BWI to nation harbor in about an hour and a half. Use this trip planner for exact instructions: http://www.wmata.com/rider_tools/trippl ... m_solo.cfm

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:11 am

I see, welp! We might have to do that, a direct flight to DCA from Indy is about $200 more so if push comes to shove it'll cheaper to just take a cab from BWI if we need to and don't want to hassle with public transportation.

The flights I'm looking at for the curious:

http://www.orbitz.com/App/ViewFlightSea ... terstitial

Anyway, if we get four people:

$150 for flight
$140 + taxes for room
$40 venue admission
$30ish transportation
$200 food / drinks (fatty estimate)
--------------------
$560 for the trip

I'll see what I can do to manage this. Healthcare is kicking up for me, car insurance is coming up, and Christmas is one bad motherfucker.

Are the games all on free play? They weren't on free play at ACEN and it was fucking bullshit.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:20 am

Merk wrote:Are the games all on free play? They weren't on free play at ACEN and it was fucking bullshit.
Over 100 different arcade machines, all set on free play so you don't have to ask your mother for quarters any more. Come see our pride and joy, the six-player X-Men cabinet.