Yay

beatmania, beatmaniaIIDX, beatmania III

Moderator: Moderators

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Yay

Post by Pokebis » Sun Aug 14, 2011 11:00 pm

Today I passed a bunch of 8s in IIDX (or Lunatic Rave 2 with IIDX songs, rather) with As.
That probably sucks, but for me it's a huge accomplishment. Too bad there are still 7s I can't pass. The songs like to mock me by making them seem fun and playable and then kicking it up one or twelve notches at the end of the song just to make me fail. I know that's Konami's way of eating money, but that's fucking evil.
Oh yeah, IIDX improvement is finally coming after like a 2 month brick wall in play level. I feel like I'm going to hit another wall soon, though.

Starting to suck less at IIDX general.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: Yay

Post by Merk » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:57 am

Good job! Overcoming skill walls in Beet is a wonderful feeling! Get used to songs going all bullshit on you on the last couple of measures, that literally becomes standard once you get in to 11s and 12s; you haven't truly suffered until you've had to deal with Blocks [a] and One More Lovely [a]. If you want to get better sooner, I'd try playing every song on Random. Not only does it give the game a lot more replayability, it also makes you play patterns that you normally wouldn't see until harder difficulties.

We should probably move this to the Beat accomplishments thread.

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Post by Pokebis » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:07 pm

I kind of wanted discussion instead of just going "yes I got passed this part."
I kind of want an asc controller because the CS controller seems rather spread out and occasionally I'll just flat out miss the key and that's always a really disappointing feeling. I also don't care for the springy feeling of the buttons too much. Is it worth it?
Also do you use LR2? I have an issue with the songs from Resort Anthem opening up the BGA videos in a separate window, minimizing my game in fullscreen. Every other mix has the videos working perfectly and I don't really want to mess with my codecs. Is there an easy fix? I've just been turning BGA off when I play RA songs, but I'd rather see the videos.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Aug 15, 2011 1:35 pm

I play on a US KOC that shipped with the US release of Beatmania. It's actually an absolute huge improvement on the original Jap home controller since it almost never sticks. There is nothing more frustrating than not being able to play Beet because your 1 and 7 keys stick every other time you hit 'em.

The only problem I see with the home controller is that the turntable is much closer to the keys than on the arcade layout. I suck when I play on an actual arcade cabinet since I have to stretch my hand more which makes TT+1+2 chords a lot more difficult. This isn't a huge deal to me since I prefer playing at home, but purists will insist on getting an ASC. As of right now the way to get your hands on a ASC is through eBay or from DJ Dao. A Dao costs a fuck load of money and you have to pay international shipping so I'd only blow your wad on this if you're absolutely sure you're going to dedicate a lot of time to Beet - their cheapest controller is $320 after shipping and that is without the bells and whistles such as Sanwa buttons.

Just play on the US home controller, it's the best thing out there for its price and it's not like you won't be able to pass 12s because of your controller (unless it sticks or you break it over your knee in frustration).

If anything, an arcade style controller is more spread out than its CS cousin. Everyone in the US plays at home so I wouldn't worry about emulating the arcade experience so much and just play on a controller that you like. Amp can comment better on an arcade controller than I can. Play more and you won't make mistakes on where the buttons are.

I only play on the CS home releases so I don't know much of anything about Lunatic Rave or the not-so-legal hacked arcade releases for the PC. I hear that both programs are huge pains in the asses to set up so I don't bother.

You should set up an account on Solid State Squad and track your scores. It adds a whole other level to the game and its nice to see how you are progressing against other people.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Mon Aug 15, 2011 2:49 pm

When it comes to KOCs, the US KOC feels like a mixed bag to me. While Japanese KOCs had sticky key issues, sanding down the sides of the keys a bit helped me get around that issue. US KOCs don't stick which is a major upside, but they feel like they have to be pressed in farther than the JP KOC and ASCs. (There are probably ways to circumvent that, but I never really looked into it.) A bigger issue I saw though was that the control board is inferior which is very unfortunate.

As for getting an ASC, it's actually only $268 to get the FP7 model from DJ Dao, (I believe the $320 pricetag Merk stated was due to the site having shipping charges set to Albania and not the United States by default for the country to ship to) but like he also stated, it isn't worth it unless you are a purist.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Post by Pokebis » Mon Aug 15, 2011 5:24 pm

I have a US CS controller and when I miss keys it's because I put my finger in between the buttons, and iirc the arcade-style has buttons that are much closer making this issue a lot less likely. That's what I meant by spread out. The turntable would be an easier transition for me since I don't pinky or anything, I always move my left hand off anyways, which is likely part of why I suck so much. I did spend a while with some cabs while I was in Taiwan and I did prefer the feel and felt I could get better with adjustment. Although, if I could pinky I'd probably stick with CS, but I just can't do that.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Aug 16, 2011 8:39 am

I don't recall there being any difference in key spacing from ASC (or AC) to KOC. At least I don't remember having any trouble like you're describing when I made the switch from KOC to ASC and then to AC. It was more the feel of the keys (the activation pressure, the click (or lack), and the spring back that is the biggest difference I notice.

Then again, I am hardly a power player and your skill level probably exceeds mine, so take my experience with the casual grain of salt it deserves.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Aug 16, 2011 9:17 am

Pokebis wrote:I have a US CS controller and when I miss keys it's because I put my finger in between the buttons, and iirc the arcade-style has buttons that are much closer making this issue a lot less likely. That's what I meant by spread out. The turntable would be an easier transition for me since I don't pinky or anything, I always move my left hand off anyways, which is likely part of why I suck so much. I did spend a while with some cabs while I was in Taiwan and I did prefer the feel and felt I could get better with adjustment. Although, if I could pinky I'd probably stick with CS, but I just can't do that.
As you play more and more you'll not miss keys and you'll evolve into a pinky scratcher, it's a simple matter of time and practice. I used to hit in between the buttons too all the time when I was first starting out so it's normal to make dumb little mistakes like that. Beet is one of those games where you really just have to practice - there is hardly any advice we could give that will make you instantly better other than play two-handed, pinky scratch, and always use random.

You should have been around when Beet was at Great X-Scape, even though the machine was off sync like a mofo that was an awesome couple of months!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JS9fnGj9BSc

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Aug 16, 2011 2:37 pm

I play one-handed, don't pinky scratch, and never use random.

However, Merk, I notice that you put a comma before the and in a series. At least we have that in common.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Aug 16, 2011 3:43 pm

Correct and we both can agree that you have hit an impassable wall in skill which you are comfortable with. I am glad you also put a comma before an "and" in a series because that is correct and people who don't put a comma there upset me and my Bourgeois attitude of life.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Aug 16, 2011 4:45 pm

Thanks for putting words in my mouth.

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:12 am

I like doing your work for you!

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:43 am

The comma is debatable.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:12 am

Riot wrote:The comma is debatable.
Hey...
teacher...
leave them kids alone.

[Also Pink Floyd sucks]

Pokebis
Standard
Standard

Post by Pokebis » Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:53 pm

So I tried learning pinky style and I started playing worse.