Let's tierlist random videogames

Discussion of other non-rhythm/music games

Moderator: Moderators

Fluffyumpkins

Re: Let's tierlist random videogames

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon May 09, 2011 4:33 pm

Merk wrote:I've never played Solo or Supernova2 so I'm guessing on how good they'd be. Chad is under the impression that Supernova2 is leaps and bounds above Extreme but something tells me that's just Chad hyperbole.
Best in series.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Mon Jun 20, 2011 11:39 am

I just finished watching all of Dexter last night and God damn what a great show. I don't watch a lot of TV but man there's something about this show that I like. I want to go in-depth on each season and talk about the finer points of the show but none of you give a shit so I'll just tierlist the 5 seasons that how been showed thus far.

If any of you do decide to watch this show, for the love of God do NOT spoil yourself. I habitually spoil myself for literally every piece of entertainment I've ever enjoyed and I really regret doing so for this show. All of the twists in the show lose their impact when you know they're coming. Just grab the DVDs / Torrent and don't do any research on the show on Wikipedia or even the show's website. Better yet, the first two seasons are on Netflix so give the first few episodes a watch. If you don't like it then you didn't waste any money (and you have bad taste)!

Anyway:

-- S Tier --
Season 1
Season 4

-- A Tier --
Season 2
Season 3

-- B Tier --
Season 5 (This season wasn't all that bad in the grand scheme of all things TV, but in terms of the show it was sort of a step back from the greatness of season 4)

ImuyumI
That guy in Kentucky that posts in an Indiana forum
That guy in Kentucky that posts in an Indiana forum

Post by ImuyumI » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:56 am

Merk wrote: -- S Tier --
Season 1
Season 4

--A Tier --
Season 5 (Julie Stiles, OMG!)

-- B Tier --
Season 2

-- C Tier --
Season 3 (Uuuuuuuuuugh.....)
Fixed!!!

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:16 am

John-Michael I'm glad you like the show!

You know, I'd love to debate this, but I don't want to spoil anything for the plebeians. I will say that Season 3 wasn't that bad and Jimmy Smits' character added what I thought was a great dynamic to the show. The season was bogged down IMO by all the supporting characters' sub-plots and the weak as hell season finale.

Season 5 was pretty much just like Season 3 except worse in about every way. The resolution of the aftermath of Season 4 was so brushed under the rug and nearly forgotten by the third episode that I felt cheated. Julia Stiles was pretty good and I'm hoping that her character's actions have some sort of impact on the coming seasons.

I hope for the best with season 6. The only thing that really concerns me is that supernatural stuff is going to start coming in to play like in the books and completely remove the Dexter-universe from any sort of plausible reality (albeit with a huge suspension of disbelief).

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:41 am

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:44 am

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:32 am

TV Shows:

-- S tier --
MST3K
Seinfeld
Married With Children
South Park

-- A Tier --
Dexter
Star Trek: TNG
The X-Files
The Simpsons

-- B Tier --
Hardcore Pawn
Firefly (so much potential wasted on Joss Whedon and a shitty Fox network)
The Office / Parks & Rec (they're basically the same show)
Family Guy (Season 1-3 were great and then it went way downhill)

-- C Tier --
Lost
The Daily Show
Most of what's on Adult Swim
Saturday Night Live

-- D Tier --
Reality shows
Reality talent shows
Anime
Soap operas

Honorable mentions:

Game of Thrones (it has potential, first season was great but the show is probably too young yet to tier it)

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:19 pm

Chrono Trigger time period tier list:

S tier:
Middle Ages
Present

A tier:
Antiquity (Zeal)
End of Time

B tier:
Future

C tier:
Prehistoric

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Sep 19, 2011 12:25 pm

Riot wrote:Chrono Trigger time period tier list:

S tier:
Middle Ages
Present

A tier:
Antiquity (Zeal)
End of Time

B tier:
Future

C tier:
Prehistoric

Disagree:

S tier:
Future
Present

A tier:
Middle Ages

B tier:
Antiquity (Zeal)
End of Time

C tier:
Prehistoric

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:11 pm

The future is pretty cool, it's just too brown and bleak. All the domes are the same and the factory is very tedious.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:41 pm

Merk wrote:TV Shows
What of Sex and the City? What of game shows?

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:47 pm

I'm a sucker for post-apocalyptic futures and the story sort of meanders plot-wise until you get to the future and your goal officially becomes "Okay guys we need to not make this happen."

Looking back I think Chrono Cross could have really been a solid game if Square wasn't so gung-ho about pulling off the 50+ playable character gimmick. I like the idea of dimensional travel and it's a cliche that's not well traveled in video game plots. It's a shame they couldn't just focus the plot on a few characters and how they change between the Home/Another universe. Instead we got four characters (Serge, Lynx, Harle, Kidd) who are of any consequence to the story and tons of fluff characters with silly accents and one-liners.

If Square wasn't a pile of shit I'd love to see Chrono Break actually come out but a part of me knows that they're just going to fuck it up. The company should stick to making games for the 3DS / Vita because god damn have their current gen games been a disaster. They try to do too much in the ways of presentation when really their games are good for the simple battle system and anime plots. Look at Dragon Quest - the series has literally been the same game since the NES days and people eat that shit up. There's no need to innovate and try to outdo yourself; let people control their guys, let people grind, and just make a system where people can customize their shit. FFX (sorta), FF7, and FF5 did these well and there's no denying how obsessed Japan is with FF7.

Bring back the world map. I don't care if it creates seams in the world. I prefer to see the game's world as a whole instead of a little baby part of the world. "lolololol but that makes the world huuuuge" fuck that - nothing good can come of that. You either have a game entirely in a handful of biomes (plain/jungle/desert) which is boring OR you have a shit load of biomes and have to explain why you have eight different environments in just a small section of your world. "Why yes we have a jungle next to some plains next to an ice area next to an active volcano next to an underwater palace next to desert next to a deep forest next to some mountains and blahblahblahblah because of MAGIC!" Just cut that bullshit out and make a world map; the games that were good all had a world map.

God damn I've ranted a lot today about stupid shit.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Sep 19, 2011 3:11 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:
Merk wrote:TV Shows
What of Sex and the City? What of game shows?
I haven't seen all of Sex and the City so it would be hard for me to pass judgment. It's not an awful show but I have to suspend belief that any man would want to bone Sarah Jessica Parker; the girl has cheek bones that practically go past her forehead. The characters are at least fairly well-written and they actually develop which puts it in at least high B tier.

Game shows are so varied that it's hard for me to lump 'em all in one. I actually put a good amount of thought of where they should be tiered but I could make a case for both A tier (Jeopardy, Price is Right, Ninja Warrior) and D tier (Deal or No Deal, Minute To Win It) that an aggregate judgment wouldn't work. Anime, Reality TV, and Soap Operas are all terrible though that it's hard to put any show of these genres into something higher than D.

TECHNICALLY Hardcore Pawn, which I put in B tier, can be considered reality TV but I like to think of it as more of a reality documentary. I'd like to see more shows where they take a business and follow it's life. Do a month of shooting and make a couple of episodes of the highlights and commentary from the employees. Pawn shops have been done to death (because they're perfect for this) but something like a bar or a sex shop would be neat.

DAVE101
ITG4LYFE
ITG4LYFE

Post by DAVE101 » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:21 pm

All of entertainment television is stupid and an easy way to burn time. That being said I'm starting my tier list with C tier.

C Tier:
Futurama
early-mid Simpsons

D Tier:
few Family guys
even fewer south parks

F Tier:
Everything else

EDIT: No these results are not biased. They are facts based from statistical evidence from my imagination.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:26 pm

DAVE101 wrote:All of entertainment television is stupid and an easy way to burn time. That being said I'm starting my tier list with C tier.

C Tier:
Futurama
early-mid Simpsons

D Tier:
few Family guys
even fewer south parks

F Tier:
Everything else

EDIT: No these results are not biased. They are facts based from statistical evidence from my imagination.
You see, but you are a bro with a limited palate, as evidenced by your selections.