Guitar Hero World Tour

Other music/rhythm games without specific coverage above

Moderator: Moderators

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Guitar Hero World Tour

Post by malictus » Thu Oct 30, 2008 11:03 am

I know most people here aren't fans of the Guitar Hero series but for anyone who's interested here's my super-quick review of Guitar Hero World Tour...

Gameplay
Several new interesting features have been added, all of which are good. These include 'open notes' (strum with no frets held down) for the bass only, and strummed notes while holding down a sustain on another fret.

Songs
86 songs, all master tracks, no covers. A very good variety of stuff; in my opinion the song list here is the best list for GH yet. Also, for the first time Wii owners will get DLC --- they got around the internal memory issue by letting you backup your DLC to an SD card!

Graphics
Graphics are fine, except for one very important detail. If you're on a regular (non-widescreen) TV, the fonts are messed up. Some text is so squished that you can't even read it at all! This is a serious oversight, and I can't believe they released a game with this kind of issue.

Interface
The interface is awkward and strange. Not horrible, but not really very intuitive either.

Since the gameplay aspects are solid, I would highly recommend the game, but I'm amazed that they released a game with the fonts messed up so bad. Note that I bought the Guitar pack; I don't have the drums so I can't review that part, although I have heard that many people have had problems with them.

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Re: Guitar Hero World Tour

Post by ShammerS » Thu Oct 30, 2008 2:51 pm

Jim,

We need to have a jam session sometime this week. I'd like to see how the RB(1) drums function on GH:WT, plus I'd like to just rock some all-expert band songs on both games and bathe in the resulting glory. My place or yours. =D

-Sam

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:16 pm

ShammerS wrote:I'd like to see how the RB(1) drums function on GH:WT
-Sam

No they don't from my understanding :(

-Some Loser

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Thu Oct 30, 2008 10:17 pm

Nay, they do indeed work. It removes one of the 5 pads from the GH:WT kit, but it works. Each song has a 4 pad chart and a 5 pad chart.

http://kotaku.com/5025890/gh-world-tour ... nstruments

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:59 am

You're both right :D

Rock Band drums work on every system EXCEPT the Wii.
The Wii RB drums are USB, and GH4's drums are wireless and use a Wii controller.

So Sam, a full band jam session may be out unless you own a copy for XBox :cry:

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:30 am

You can create your own notecharts in this right? That'd be the only reason I'd love to play, I love makingm y own charts, especially for drums. That would be fun.

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Fri Oct 31, 2008 12:55 pm

Ah, didn't realize you had the Wii version. I'd still like to jam sometime, I have RB 1 & 2 for 360 with the full she-bang.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Oct 31, 2008 1:20 pm

Riot wrote:You can create your own notecharts in this right? That'd be the only reason I'd love to play, I love makingm y own charts, especially for drums. That would be fun.
QFT.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Sat Nov 01, 2008 1:27 am

Can you do THIS?
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:10 pm

ShammerS wrote:Ah, didn't realize you had the Wii version. I'd still like to jam sometime, I have RB 1 & 2 for 360 with the full she-bang.
That would be cool; I haven't tried RB2 yet at all. I'll be in touch...
Riot wrote:You can create your own notecharts in this right? That'd be the only reason I'd love to play, I love makingm y own charts, especially for drums. That would be fun.
Yes, but I haven't tried out that feature yet. The interface is supposedly very hard to work with. There are other (non-official) ways to create and play custom GH/RB songs, though.....

ShammerS
Standard
Standard

Post by ShammerS » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:24 am

http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productD ... +HP+Module

X-Plorer guitar is ten bucks at Circuit City - has anyone used this model before? Worth it?

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:55 am

ShammerS wrote:http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/productD ... +HP+Module

X-Plorer guitar is ten bucks at Circuit City - has anyone used this model before? Worth it?
I've been using it since GHII first came out for the 360.
It's been mostly satisfactory. When it works, it works perfectly. A few times, a fret button or two just randomly stopped working, but I opened it up and shook things about a bit, and they went back to normal. That actually happened to me last week (for the 2nd time ever, I believe). I haven't checked to see if it's back to normal yet, but my red and blue buttons just gave up on me. It seems to have an air of permanence this time, though, seeing as I have been using it for almost 2 years now.
As for being worth $10, yes, without a doubt. I may go pick that up myself.