Kylene's Scores

Discuss your greatest DDR and music/rhythm game accomplishments

Moderator: Moderators

Kylene
Light
Light

Kylene's Scores

Post by Kylene » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:49 am

Here are some of my latest accomplishments!!

So-NM- 14 misses-A
Snow Dream-NM-A
Up,Up-CZ-S

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 11:40 am

I don't know much about Pump, but since you're getting A's on NMs, I'd say that's pretty good!

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Sun Aug 12, 2007 8:40 pm

Good job! Oh, and So NM is extremely fun! :D
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

elcuebee
Standard
Standard

Post by elcuebee » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:22 pm

Can someone explain to me why pump scores are ranked by # of misses, and not perfects or greats or etc.?

I know the perfect window is massive but yeah

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:28 pm

liquidblue aka DBV wrote:Can someone explain to me why pump scores are ranked by # of misses, and not perfects or greats or etc.?

I know the perfect window is massive but yeah
there are perfects, greats, goods, bads, and misses...it is just typically when people post brags they typically just post the grade and # of misses, unless it is an S (no misses at all) then typically it is just S

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:42 pm

Pump players tend to care more about combo than accuracy. Of course, the scoring system on NX seems to work this way too.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:24 am

What seems to happen is that people try to first simply pass the song (i.e. not get an F), and when they do they quote the number of misses. If they do very well (a high A), then they might quote either the number of non-combo (misses and bads) or simply give full stats. Once the song is S'd (no misses), generally people will give either a bad count or, for a full combo, full stats on perfects/greats/goods (goods do not break combo in pump, nor do they increment it). The highest achievement is of course the FPC, or full perfect combo, which would be the equivalent of a AAA on DDR.

Players will also often specify max combo with their miss count and whether the score was with or without bar as World Pump Festival regulations prohibit so much as touching the bar during play. Stage break pass/fail (whether the autofail would have been tripped or not) will also sometimes be noted, as many machines have autofail turned off.

It should be noted that it's possible to get an S which would actually evaluate to an F if you had a single miss. Just get all bads. You will get an S (since there were no misses), but by the point system used to determine letter grade, you actually got an F. The "no misses" factor overrides the F and you get the highest letter grade the game gives.

Pump really, really focuses on "just hit the damn arrows" over accuracy. The timing windows are huge, and the scoring is extremely biased towards combo. There is also a 100,000 point bonus for getting an S. This is very different from DDR/ITG, but it makes some sense: some pump charts are so fast and with so many steps that it is all but impossible to full combo them, let alone get all perfects. There are charts on NX which the vast, vast majority of speed players cannot even pass. There are normal length charts where it is possible to rack up a 2000+ combo. Though many of these "steps" come from holds, it still says something about the difficulty of the chart. Then of course some of the remixes and full-length songs are also just plain insane.

Remember that combo based scoring is not without precedent (though Pump seems to make it needlessly complicated): DDR 4th Mix used a combo biased scoring system, too. This combo based scoring system also makes a raw perfect/great count somewhat useless, or at least a completely different metric.

Player focus for scoring is just one of the many things that makes Pump a different game from DDR. Personally, I find the Pump attitude more in line with my style of play, which focuses on passing hard stuff rather than incessantly playing easier stuff until I can get perfect scores.

All of this applies to semi-modern Pump. Some time during the Prex/Premiere era, the timing windows and scoring were changed from something that more resembled DDR.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:16 am

MonMotha wrote:Personally, I find the Pump attitude more in line with my style of play, which focuses on passing hard stuff rather than incessantly playing easier stuff until I can get perfect scores.

Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Pheonixguy » Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:34 am

WhiteDragon wrote:
MonMotha wrote:Personally, I find the Pump attitude more in line with my style of play, which focuses on passing hard stuff rather than incessantly playing easier stuff until I can get perfect scores.
lol

who needs AAAs...
You will be baked
Jeff wrote:Try playing in your room where your father enters to see you making crotch gestures with your hands.

Kylene
Light
Light

Post by Kylene » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:22 pm

Here are some of Kara's and my accomplishments on NM and Freestyles...

A Handsome Character that Pass-NM-11 misses-A
Chumg Hwa Ban Joem-NM-10 misses-A
Beethoven-Freestyle-3 misses-A
Final Audition 2-1-Freestyle-1 miss-A
Throw Em Up-NM-27 misses-B

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:25 pm

cheaters -_-

elcuebee
Standard
Standard

Post by elcuebee » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:23 pm

WhiteDragon wrote:
except i just apply it to ridiculous stepmania songs on pad
and it's more like "hey can i get 50% into strangeprogram" instead of even passing it

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:45 pm

...Except for a lot of people who DO play for AAAs, like me, don't play anything "incessantly" and get the AAA first try ;)

Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Pheonixguy » Mon Aug 13, 2007 7:55 pm

liquidblue aka DBV wrote:
WhiteDragon wrote:
except i just apply it to ridiculous stepmania songs on pad
and it's more like "hey can i get 50% into strangeprogram" instead of even passing it
lol see the beginning of my brag thread.
You will be baked
Jeff wrote:Try playing in your room where your father enters to see you making crotch gestures with your hands.

blackcat
Heavy
Heavy

Post by blackcat » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:02 am

Kylene wrote:Here are some of Kara's and my accomplishments on NM and Freestyles...

A Handsome Character that Pass-NM-11 misses-A
Chumg Hwa Ban Joem-NM-10 misses-A
Beethoven-Freestyle-3 misses-A
Final Audition 2-1-Freestyle-1 miss-A
Throw Em Up-NM-27 misses-B
Which ones are yours and which ones are Kara's?