cobalt flux

Moderator: Moderators

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

cobalt flux

Post by lgolem » Mon Jun 19, 2006 10:55 pm

I heard that a cobalt flux pad can be used for PiU? I know the buttons are ddr scale and all but still it would be neat to have a metal pad for PiU. Does anyone know if you have to alter the pad in any way to make it work for PIU or does it just work the way it is made?

mexican ninja
Heavy
Heavy

Post by mexican ninja » Tue Jun 20, 2006 12:20 am

You would have to do some very minor alterations to get them to work properly. Basicaly, if you can use a screwdriver, you can do it.

When CFs are shipped out, they have the center panal disabled. All the people at CF do is slip a chunk of cardboard under the contact, so when you step on the panal, it doesn't respond. This can be fixed by simply taking the cardboard out.

Also, it would be a pretty good idea to disable the DDR/ITG arrows, since you don't use them when you play PIU. To do that, just do the reverse of what you did above.

FLAKK
Heavy
Heavy

Post by FLAKK » Tue Jun 20, 2006 2:42 am

Did you already buy a cobalt? If not, check out mymybox.com. They are coming out with a metal Pump It Up pad (with and without the bar).

http://www.mymybox.com/piumpad1.html
Yea, I'm like Mother Teresa, except I pwn.

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Tue Jun 20, 2006 11:30 pm

FLAKK wrote:Did you already buy a cobalt? If not, check out mymybox.com. They are coming out with a metal Pump It Up pad (with and without the bar).
No I hadn't bought a cobalt yet....I was thinking about it, but since you told me about the metal PiU pad and it is coming out soon I will have to order 1 or 2.....

ImuyumI
That guy in Kentucky that posts in an Indiana forum
That guy in Kentucky that posts in an Indiana forum

Post by ImuyumI » Wed Jun 21, 2006 6:15 am

I'd like to see someone review before I'd buy it. That'd be sweet if it was a great pad. I'd get one.

FLAKK
Heavy
Heavy

Post by FLAKK » Wed Jun 21, 2006 11:17 am

Well, Cobalts are horrible for Pump simply because of how the buttons are layed out.
Yea, I'm like Mother Teresa, except I pwn.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Jun 21, 2006 12:47 pm

I have actually seen a Cobalt Flux with panels modified to match PIU proportions (rectangular corners and square center). I would think that would help with that particular issue.

However, my experience with CFs is that their design makes them step more like EXTREMELY sturdy soft pads since they're more touch sensitive than pressure sensitive like an arcade stage. That's not to say the CFs are bad, just that they do not feel at all like an arcade stage (DDR or PIU).

Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Pheonixguy » Sun Jun 25, 2006 1:18 pm

Im still waiting for one with the foam :cry: ... I love those...

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:39 am

Ho wrote:I have actually seen a Cobalt Flux with panels modified to match PIU proportions (rectangular corners and square center). I would think that would help with that particular issue.

However, my experience with CFs is that their design makes them step more like EXTREMELY sturdy soft pads since they're more touch sensitive than pressure sensitive like an arcade stage. That's not to say the CFs are bad, just that they do not feel at all like an arcade stage (DDR or PIU).
I did PIU on CFs and some modding would have to be done to match proportions. Also, Ho is dead on about the difference cause they don't use arcade sensors, they use sheet metal as the contacts. (Albeit I think it is possible to implement arcade style sensors in them, we'd just have to come up with a design for it.) I played PIU for the first time ever this past Friday on a Prex3 machine and it's pretty cool so I'm lookin to get into the game a little more now.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:41 am

Again I say how much I love my flux pad. If sunk in arrows are something you can do without, your flux pad will take brutal 10 footer after 10 footer. I've had mine since December and it works as good as the day it came out of the box.

I've also played unmodded PIU on it. The proportions, as everyone else has said, are all off compared to the arcade, but you still get the flawless accuracy that makes CF pads worth owning. Also, stepmania isn't bad with its auto-generated steps for PIU. I've read some decent mods for turning a CF pad into a PIU pad, but none of them particularly simple.

Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Pheonixguy » Sun Jan 07, 2007 12:36 pm

*bump*
FLAKK wrote:Did you already buy a cobalt? If not, check out mymybox.com. They are coming out with a metal Pump It Up pad (with and without the bar).

Are these a good buy?
You will be baked
Jeff wrote:Try playing in your room where your father enters to see you making crotch gestures with your hands.

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:26 pm

Pheonixguy wrote:*bump*

Are these a good buy?
Yes they are...I have 2 and they are AWESOME. ^_^ GET THIS PAD

Wolfen
Standard
Standard

Post by Wolfen » Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:53 pm

lgolem wrote:

Are these a good buy?
Don't get this pad. They break if you do anything above a 12.

Just go to the arcade.
ImageImageImage

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:04 pm

Wolfen wrote:
lgolem wrote:
Are these a good buy?
Don't get this pad. They break if you do anything above a 12.

Just go to the arcade.
I play Canon D CZ on mine....it works still...I play Crosstime on it and that is a 15 or 17...my pad is still working and I just got a 2nd one for christmas and I keep play Wi Ex Doc Va and they are both working...I don't know what pad you got but you got ripped off...mine work great and I have put ALOT of work on them and they still work.

Wolfen
Standard
Standard

Post by Wolfen » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:13 pm

Playing a song and passing it are two different things.

I really don't think you could pass either of those songs. I'm sorry.
ImageImageImage