Why the rating system isn't working

Post your comments, suggestions, questions, etc. about IndyDDR.com here. Also use this forum to report issues or get help with the site.

Moderator: Moderators

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Fri Mar 18, 2005 2:25 pm

Thank you Adam. The drama was getting way out of line and I was doing nothing to help matters.

On topic, I would just like to say that I agree that some people, including myself, are abusing the rating system for the wrong reasons. I apologize for my behavior and I will try to act more civil from now on.

xK1
Standard
Standard

Post by xK1 » Fri Mar 25, 2005 6:48 pm

I don't know how feasable this is, but something that might be interesting is if when rating a post you had a text box where you could enter a reason why you were giving that particular rating. I honestly don't know if that would help or exacerbate things though.

Pheadra
Standard
Standard

Post by Pheadra » Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:09 am

xK1 wrote:I don't know how feasable this is, but something that might be interesting is if when rating a post you had a text box where you could enter a reason why you were giving that particular rating. I honestly don't know if that would help or exacerbate things though.
In a few cases that would actually work. But then again, you'll have someone abuse and say 'I gave you a boo because you are a poo poo head'
ImageThe secret to life is, oh look! Something Shiny!Image

mexican ninja
Heavy
Heavy

Post by mexican ninja » Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:35 am

Pheadra wrote:
xK1 wrote:I don't know how feasable this is, but something that might be interesting is if when rating a post you had a text box where you could enter a reason why you were giving that particular rating. I honestly don't know if that would help or exacerbate things though.
In a few cases that would actually work. But then again, you'll have someone abuse and say 'I gave you a boo because you are a poo poo head'

Something like this would be a great idea, and it would also be nice if it was mandatory to say why you gave a good/bad rating. I think it would cut down on abuse if it was mandatory because people will have to actuly think before they give ratings. Also, even if people do still abuse the system, and say stuff like "omg ur t3h suxorz", then it would be easier to tell whos abusing the system, and whos not.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:42 am

I had considered a rating comments system. I do think it's a good idea. I don't recall now why I didn't pursue it. It's probably because we already have a backlog of development as it is. :P I'll have to give it some additional thought and see what it might entail.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Sun Mar 27, 2005 1:02 am

It would be a lot of work to implement I guess, but it does sound like it would be a good idea. I rarely give ratings, unless I think someone has been unlawfully 'booed,' then I'll occasionally boost them up a bit if I think the post is worthy of a higher score.
Anyway, the abuse of the system doesn't seem to be getting better, but worse. Certain people seem to be stalking people with the rating's system, or simply booing people who say anything to their friends. At least if we all had to make comments on our ratings, it would be easy to see who's actually rating fairly, and who's just being an ass.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun Mar 27, 2005 4:35 am

Actually, adding a comment field wouldn't be that challenging, certainly not when compared to so of the other changes that have been made to support the integration of the ratings system with the user rankings. However, if you actually want to do something with the comment (other than display it), that's difficult, at least if you want to make it freeform text (which I presume is what you're going for here).
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:42 am

Hoody2006
Standard
Standard

Post by Hoody2006 » Sun May 22, 2005 12:58 pm

yeah its probably already covered but what are all the rankings, and what do they mean. FOr example how many posts does a level heavy get compared to a failed rating.
if it doesnt matter who wins or loses then why do they keep score
-Vince Lombardi-

Mosh_Mosh_Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Mosh_Mosh_Revolution » Sun May 22, 2005 6:20 pm

PERHAPS YOU SHOULD READ THE THREAD.
No more eggs! :D
An actual signature will come soon, I suppose.

ThatGuy
Standard
Standard

Post by ThatGuy » Tue May 24, 2005 6:11 pm

I'm a bit confused as to why my only choices for rating a post are either Good or No Rating. Without seeing the scale on the rating page, I don't know whether rating something Good is a positive or negative mark. I don't feel like I should be rating posts as good just to rate them - I need a choice of at least 2, preferably 3 in order to make the point. Otherwise, the rating is useless.

Potter
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Potter » Tue May 24, 2005 6:15 pm

its because your only light. When you make more posts and get more (good)
ratings then you will move to standard, where you have 4 choices to rate something as.
Riot wrote:My hair alone is like 5mb.
Merk wrote:Badyyyyy.. wanna go fiiiish? wanna go.... fiiiiIIIIIIIIIIIIsh?? Wanna go fishin'?!?!?! Him's a Badyyyy

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue May 24, 2005 7:47 pm

ThatGuy wrote:I'm a bit confused as to why my only choices for rating a post are either Good or No Rating. Without seeing the scale on the rating page, I don't know whether rating something Good is a positive or negative mark. I don't feel like I should be rating posts as good just to rate them - I need a choice of at least 2, preferably 3 in order to make the point. Otherwise, the rating is useless.
The ratings are (appropriately) DDR themed. The entire complement of ratings are (starting from the best and going to the worst):
  • Marvelous
  • Perfect
  • Great
  • Good
  • Boo
  • Miss
(Gosh, I wonder where those names came from...?)

Marvelous-Good have a positive effect. They're weighted roughly towards how DDR considers them.

For example, Marvelous is the best step grade you can get, and is only seen in Nonstop/Oni. It is supposed to be reserved for posts that merit special attention. It is currently restricted to Heavy (and above, if that ever exists) users.

Next up is Perfect. It is the best step grade DDR hands out in normal gameplay. It is the highest rating usable by standard users (normal users). It is still pretty positively weighted.

Great is also usable by standard users. It has the implication that the post is still above average, but not as good as a perfect. As an analogy to DDR, greats still increase your life guage and combo you, but they aren't as good as a perfect.

Good is kinda a limbo rating, at least compared to DDR. It kinda fits, though. Good in DDR is kinda an in-between rating in DDR. It breaks your combo, but doesn't touch your life guage positively or negatively. As far as the ratings system goes, it is very slightly positively weighted. Giving someone a good could theoretically bring them down in ranking, but most likely it won't, as long as they are still getting mostly perfects and greats. For example, in DDR, getting all goods will actually get you 0% of the DP and a grade of D, but you'll pass the song with a half lifebar. This rating is mostly around so that Light users can have something to play with. Normally, it would probably be better to just not rate the user if you're contemplating this rating (unless it's all you can give).

Boo is the first negative rating. It is valued negatively, and subtracts from the user's overall totals.

Miss is very negative, and is restricted to Heavy users (and above) only. It should only be used on posts that are completely out of line, such as personal insults.

I hope this helps.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

ThatGuy
Standard
Standard

Post by ThatGuy » Fri May 27, 2005 7:23 pm

MonMotha wrote:I hope this helps.
Quite. However, I'd like to see this as part of the actual ratings screen. That's where it would be most useful.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri May 27, 2005 11:44 pm

Several details about the innerworkings of the ratings system are intentionally not publicized. We don't want to arm would-be ratings abusers with too much information to screw things up for everyone else.