Welp, bought some candy cabs

Discussion of other non-rhythm/music games

Moderator: Moderators

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Welp, bought some candy cabs

Post by Merk » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:41 am

Ayyyyy what's going on IndyDDR? I got my hands on two New Astro City candy cabs yesterday and I don't know what the fuck I'm doing with them. I'm going to get a CPS3 board and run Third Strike on them but in the meantime I was going to turn em into MAME cabinets for when randos inevitably come over and want to play games that aren't fighting games for old people.

I don't really know what I need to do to MAME these mofos out. My assumption is that I build a little dedicated MAME PC, buy a J-PAC, connect my PC to the JAMMA wiring via the J-PAC and then shit just sort of works. What am I overlooking?

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Re: Welp, bought some candy cabs

Post by Riot » Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:37 am

This doesn't help you but I told my coworker who wants a 4-player MAME cabinet I would investigate for him so if anything helpful is posted here I am also curious

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:24 am

Welp it looks like some dude in Germany makes a Jamma2Pi circuit board so the plan now is to load up a bunch of shit onto a Raspberry Pi, connect it to the Jamma2Pi, and just kinda hope everything works!

Merk

Post by Merk » Wed Sep 26, 2018 1:36 pm

Jamma2Pi came in yesterday! Hopefully I'll make some time this weekend to set it up with a Raspberry Pi and MAME the fuck out of one of my little cabbies

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:09 pm

Cool keep me posted on how that goes - told me coworker about RetroPi and stuff a few days ago and he's looking into trying to have some kids in woodshop class build some kind of pseudo-cabinet where joysticks could be wired in (or placed in and covered or something). I offered my old TV stand, a pretty small wooden stand that I was wondering if he could drill holes into to set some buttons in, then wire the stuff down into a Raspberry Pi inside, but no clue how easy it is to wire stuff separately into one. I imagine it would be easier to do something simple and buy a TE stick and mount it into something though.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:33 am

Welp I got audio/video working! The controls kinda sorta work but I gotta do some re-wiring or tweak a few config changes. This is super, super easy to do - all you gotta do is get a JAMMA2PI PCB from a guy in Germany, get a Raspberry Pi 3b+ with a 32meg Micro SD card, download some software and follow the instructions here (http://pi2jamma.info/download) and there you go! It just becomes plug and play to the JAMMA connector at that point.

Gonna fuck with it some more today but the initial set up is really not that hard at all.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Oct 02, 2018 6:48 pm

Merk wrote:
Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:33 am
32meg Micro SD card
Party like it's 2002!
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Merk

Post by Merk » Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:42 pm

Oh I got one of the cabs working perfectly! I want to get it so that video/sound gets output to both cabinets in a sort of master/slave set up. What the heck do I need to do to get video/sound to both cabinets? Controls are working fine thanks to some long ass 22 AWG wires and some fancy crimping.