DDR Arcade Memory Card (Anyone own a machine)

Moderator: Moderators

Shadowolf93
Light
Light

Re: DDR Arcade Memory Card (Anyone own a machine)

Post by Shadowolf93 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:22 pm

MonMotha wrote:Have you tried testing with an official Sony card? The 3rd party cards were notoriously unreliable in this application.
Not yet, I do have an official PS1 card on the way, so I'll be able to test hopefully next week when it arrives.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Jan 07, 2016 3:46 pm

I'm using a no-name memory card in mine and I haven't had any trouble with it. I think I got a bag of like 6 of them for $10 or something dumb like that. Strangely, I don't remember what happened to the rest of them. All I seem to have left is the one that I've been using for ages (in the slot in the pictures I posted).

Shadowolf93
Light
Light

Post by Shadowolf93 » Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:55 am

End result turned out to be bad memory card board, lucky for me a guy here locally was selling two machines for scrap for around $1k, both had the memory card slots and the board it connects to, was able to replace the current one and it works great now, however I did at first send the board to Betson for repair but they had no luck finding a vendor to repair it so all I was out was $30 shipping, but I am glad I got it fixed, hopefully it won't go out as it appears these memory card boards are rare and hard to find.

Edit: Thanks to everyone that helped, I do appreciate it :)

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Jul 14, 2017 2:51 pm

Good to hear you got it working!

Musashi
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Musashi » Tue Aug 08, 2017 4:11 pm

The cable shown here earlier in the thread: http://www.indyddr.com/images/misc/mcpowerplug.jpg
Where can I get one? Is there maybe a Jamma harness I could buy and remove this cable from?

I'm installing memory card slots on my 573 cab. I have the slots/bezel and the PCB. I bought a USB cable and I'm having my front plate altered to put in a spot for the bezel. But I don't have / can't find the piece that connects the PCB to the JAMMA harness. And that for that matter I'm not sure which exact spots on the harness it should go into or how to get them to stay plugged in.

Anyone know how to finish the installation? I can take some pics of my JAMMA harness if it's possible that I have the cable and just need to track it down inside the cab.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Fri Aug 11, 2017 2:02 pm

I'm assuming you are in the USA...

The connector pictured is a JST VH series (4 positions). You can buy the housing and crimp contacts in any quantity from Digi-Key. Since you don't likely have something suitable to crimp it with (using the standard, cheap automotive crimper you can get at a hardware store will not be reliable), you may prefer to buy some pre-crimped wires and work from those.

The 4 pins carry +5V and ground. There are two of each. Make sure you get the polarity right. The board will be blown up if you don't. The polarity is marked on the board:

The OEM wiring harness pulls power by introducing itself at the power connection in the wires leading to the JAMMA harness where it plugs into the System 573. You can build this if you want, though it's a lot of wiring and will only work on a Japanese cabinet. I don't remember the size of the connector off-hand, but it's a JST VL series and is likewise available in any quantity from Digi-Key. I do not recommend using automotive style inline crimp splices for this as those tend to damage the wire and, since the System 573 pulls quite a bit of juice, could result in problems or even a fire!

The OEM wiring harness uses 18AWG (or its metric equivalent, perhaps) wire, but honestly 22AWG is sufficient if you use all 4 wires. If you're using 18AWG, you can probably get away with just a single power and ground each, though being the purist that I am, I'd recommend using all 4 wires regardless. Red is recommended for 5V and black for ground, but electrons don't care about wire color if you don't have a good selection of wire colors handy.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Musashi
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Musashi » Tue Aug 15, 2017 10:34 pm

Thanks all the information!

I will order the housing, crimp contacts, and pre-crimped wires.

Once I assemble the connector, it goes into 4 specific spots on the Jamma harness right? Is there a diagram showing which 4 spots I can use for 2 +5V and 2 GNDs?

And to get the polarity correct, its the 2 left wires in to +5 V spots and the 2 right wires into GND spots?