Faovorite and least favorite mixes

Moderator: Moderators

Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Pheonixguy » Thu Mar 09, 2006 9:30 pm

Im not sure ive even seen any pre max mixes (excluding 3rd)
so i guess i can't really say whats bad, but to me the number of songs and the difficulty is really what i consider good, the reason for why i said i dont like 3rd. XD

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Mar 09, 2006 11:33 pm

3rd Mix arcades actually have a rather large number of songs on them as they have the entirety of 2nd Mix available too (<<>> I believe is the code: it's displayed on the screen for you if that's not it). They're also the few remaining machines on which you can play So Many Men and Strictly Business (whether or not you like those songs is a matter of personal opinion of course, but I think Strictly Business rules). Of course, it doesn't have as many songs as Extreme, but the entire point of Extreme was to cram as many songs on there as possible. You can see it in the overcompression of the backgrounds. The 3rd Mix songs are also mostly older ones (obviously), many of which can't be played on anything newer than 4th Plus. If it's a Korean (especially Korea 2), even better (then you have some K-Pop, in addition to the rest of the songs).

As far as difficulty, the 9 footers first showed up on 3rd mix. Until then, 8 was as hard as it got. 3rd has some stuff that is still considered to be at least not particularly easy (Afronova SSR, Gradusic Cyber SSR) and plenty of other 9s that are both hard and fun at the same time (Paranoia Rebirth, Captain Jack). Don't be doggin' my 3rd Mix! If you just think it's easy because it appears to not have Maniac, you need to go look up the SSR code :) [Incidentally, it's <<<>>><> on the cabinet selection arrows, then if you want vivid it's a stomp code of <><<>><>, yeah, I still remember them]

And of course, if you want hard stuff, go play some of the new maniac steps on 4th Plus. Stomp to my Beat Double Maniac, Butterfly Upswing Double Maniac, and Boom Boom Dollar KOG3 Mix Double Maniac are all EXTREMELY challenging for their era (heck, Stomp to my Beat is still hard, and Butterfly Upswing has enough drills in it to give Max300 a run for the money). Then 5th Mix has Moonlight Shadow maniac double...wow that's got some crazy turns.

There's certainly no shortage of challenge on the older mixes. No, they're not full of PSMO killers, but they have things that are both challenging and fun at the same time. Go play Follow the Sun maniac2 single and tell me it isn't fun with a straight face.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Mar 10, 2006 8:13 am

Thanks for saying what I was thinking but didn't feel like taking the time to communicate.

Oh, and...

Follow the Sun Maniac2 Single is not fun with a straight face.

(Though it is enjoyable while smiling broadly.)

Dyme
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Dyme » Fri Mar 10, 2006 4:09 pm

Ho wrote:(Though it is enjoyable while smiling broadly.)
lawl
Team KIMO represent!

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:32 pm

I may be starting to change my opinion on 5th mix. After last week, I'm starting to exhaust the song choices, and I got pretty PO'd when me and my friend were both going for a AAA on Dream a Dream, we both FC'd, but I got 1 more perfect and he got one more great, and he beat me in score. WTF? Why would you place more importance on notes later in the song? It's nonsensical. So yeah I'm prolly gonna play some Extreme this weekend so I might start warming up to that (ESPECIALLY if it gives me my first AAA).

-Dan

Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Pheonixguy » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:34 pm

Im preatty sure it was third, and im positive it had like 20 songs on it, but DDR machines have a knack of hiding things from me... it took me awhile to realize Extreme had more than the 30 or so songs that are on the song list when you first put your coins in. XD

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Fri Mar 10, 2006 5:40 pm

dance1005 wrote:Why would you place more importance on notes later in the song?
You do know that Extreme does that too, right? It's especially noticable in nonstop courses since it applies the same philosophy to stages. The last stage in a nonstop is worth 40% of the points, while the first stage is only worth 10%. In normal mode, the later steps in the song are worth much more (I believe it ends up with the last step being worth like 2x the first one or something like that, DDRFreak has the exact info). 3rd Mix also did this, with the last step even having a special bonus to make the score work out evenly!

I believe 4th Mix is the only "modern" mix (3rd and newer) that does things significantly differently: your score per step is based (very heavily) on your current combo. 2nd Mix also did this. I don't recall how 1st scored (I've never found a 1st Mix machine to play on, anyway).
Pheonixguy wrote:Im preatty sure it was third, and im positive it had like 20 songs on it, but DDR machines have a knack of hiding things from me... it took me awhile to realize Extreme had more than the 30 or so songs that are on the song list when you first put your coins in. XD
3rd Mix has many more than that (even 1st Mix had that many, IIRC). On 3rd Mix, you just have to remember that almost half the songs are apparently "hidden" due to being on 2nd Mix. Put in the 2nd Mix code before you play and you'll have the entirety of 2nd Mix. There are also hidden songs that come up depending on which character you choose (I know that Disc A/B gives you Graduisic Cyber, and Konsento gives you Jam Jam Reggae). DDRFreak has info about all this stuff. You should probably read it.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.

Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Pheonixguy » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:25 pm

I played it just like an hour ago, and I was on the right pad and I had the 30 songs that i mentioned before, but then I played it on the left there were a ton of songs.

I also find I don't like how you choose the difficulty, you get a choice between some thing like easy, hard, and nonstop and then in easy and hard you can choose between basic and trick. I pressed the enter button rapidly trying to get to playing faster and i accedentally hit easy most of the time.

Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Pheonixguy » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:29 pm

I also went to purdue, expecting to find Max 2 and i found ITG2!! :evil:
I mean i have nothing agenst it but im more comfortable with ddr, and the mines are annoying....

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sat Mar 11, 2006 10:49 pm

Soft/Hard controls the autofail bar. On easy, the step is on Little until you have a full bar, then you get whatever it would normally be. On hard, it's like every newer mix of DDR.

Pad side should not affect the number of available songs, but if you put in the 2nd Mix code (<<>> I think) on the selection arrows at the title screen, you'll get an entirely new songlist to pick from since you'll get all of 2nd Mix (and none of 3rd Mix). In 2nd Mix mode, you can pick Maniac difficulty as another diifficulty (just hit down-down on the stage twice).

On 3rd Mix, if you want Maniac, you'll need to put in the SSR code, like I mentioned before. At the title screen, where it says "Dance Dance Revolution 3rd Mix" put in <<<>>><> on the cabinet selection arrows. The title screen will then change to "Step Step Revolution", and everything will be locked on Maniac difficulty ("SSR"). The songlist is the same as normal 3rd mix mode. Note that this also puts it on flat by default, so if you want to take that off enter the stomp code <><<>><> before picking your song. DDRFreak has info about all this (and other hidden codes for all the old mixes).
A normality test:
+++ATH

Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Pheonixguy » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:26 pm

k, thx. I preatty sure i had more on the left pad.... it might have just been my imagination XD

and entering codes in the pad annoyed me, i accedentally turned on *forgets exact word* the one where the arrows disapear half way up the screen.....

Dyme
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Dyme » Mon Mar 13, 2006 7:58 pm

that would be hidden :D
Team KIMO represent!

blackcat
Heavy
Heavy

Post by blackcat » Fri Mar 24, 2006 9:39 pm

I'd have to say Extreme...8th Mix...I dunno if it's the same thing. I guess i'm not picky about mixes. I like all the songs!