How did you get into DDR?

Moderator: Moderators

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

How did you get into DDR?

Post by chocobojoe » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:06 pm

Another one of those threads that every DDR forum seems to have.

It all started for me about 2 1/2 years ago when I played a little bit at an all day anime event at IPFW. The following week I ordered Konamix and some ignition pads and I was hooked. I started playing in the arcades a month or two later.

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Sat Feb 05, 2005 9:28 pm

actually... it would be about 4 years ago when i first got hooked... my sister brought her friends game over to our hourse (DDR USA) and 2 shitty soft pads... then a lil while later we bought it... and then our pads died... and we never replaced them... untill about a year and 4 months ago... and thats when i got hooked again... because i was at the Kalahari (waterpark/hotel) and they had a DDRMAX2 there and i was with my friend and she wanted to try it... so i started playing... ended up spending $50 that weekend on DDR...

lately i havent been able to play much... (maybe a good 20 songs in every 3 weeks :S) because i let people borrow all my pads lol... but my step bro got the PS2 EXTREME... (ugh) with a pad... and its all i got to play now... and i played that today... but i should get my metal octane soon :D so ill be playing a lot more soon :D

EDIT:... i think another reason why i got hooked on it so much... was that about 3 months into when i got hooked i went on a cruise... and nobody there knew what DDR was... so me along with a few other friends i made on the cruise were the "leet" players... and we would easily get crouds of 30 people every night.... that feeling made me want to play more... i ended up spending all my money ($400) on the arcade there.... but i got $80 from some people on the cruise :D so that was awesome hehe that defenately pushed me into becomeing what i am now in DDR

Dyme
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Dyme » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:28 am

Hmm. I guess it was maybe a year ago. I was in school and one of my new friends i met was all like, "MY FAVORITE GAME IS DDR!" At first i had no idea what DDR was. Then he told me it was dance dance revolution. and then i went OHHHHHHH. So he said you should go to the arcade when we go. So i went and got hooked rather fast. I still remember the first song i ever played, Bag....lol
Team KIMO represent!

O 16581 72452 5
Standard
Standard

Post by O 16581 72452 5 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 10:52 am

Yo,

It was when 3rd Mix was released, i was at a friend's watching him play it on his (of course) Japanese Playstation. He asked me to try, i loved it and purchased the first USA mix when it was released in 2000.

Secef
Standard
Standard

Post by Secef » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:00 pm

Well, a long time before I started playing DDR in the arcade, I played DWI a lot. That was probably a bit less than a year or so before we got DDR in the arcade at Mr. Gatti's in Bedford (February '03, I believe). My buddy called me up from over there and said "Hey, Mr. Gatti's has a DDR machine now! It's awesome!" and I high-tailed it over there. It was a lovely 3rd Mix Korean v2 that kept me pretty happy for a couple months until I realized how much better Lazerlite's machines were. I've been playing it constantly since then.

UberAvonDancer
Standard
Standard

Post by UberAvonDancer » Sun Feb 06, 2005 12:32 pm

I started playing almost 3 years ago now. I was downtown for school band event and found DDR USA. I played it alittle, and about 6 months later I befriended one of the 1st gen dancers. He got me hooked. I loved the music , the work out, the challenge, the group, everything. I quit for a little bit because I got fed up with my inability to get better, but in the end DDR won. I hope to play it, if not as much as I do now, at least everyone once in awhile when I'm older.

Hoody2006
Standard
Standard

first started

Post by Hoody2006 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 2:54 pm

about to years ago i was at greenwood park mall and seen like ten people around the machine after they all left i seen they had a couple credits left and they obviously werentn coming back so i jumped on the machine and totally embarrased my self a little later i bought Maxx2 and then started playing in the arcades and its been glorious ever since
if it doesnt matter who wins or loses then why do they keep score
-Vince Lombardi-

Gumby
Standard
Standard

Post by Gumby » Sun Feb 06, 2005 4:48 pm

I was first introduced to the game my freshman year of college. A friend of mine from back home had usa mix for his playstation and some ignition pads. He completely pwn3d my ass because i was uber noob at the time. I just did the normal "this game is gay" thing but deep down inside i knew that i craved for more.

I didn't play it again until my sophomore year of college when we had a fair for all the student clubs that you could join and someone had started a DDR club and I said to Matt "omg i've played that game before, it's really freagin hard" so we signed up and played every week and i eventually bought my own home system. I can now soundly own my friend who first introduced me to the game.
I don't fear death; I fear not living.

Grubb
Standard
Standard

Post by Grubb » Sun Feb 06, 2005 5:47 pm

I started playing DDR at Block Party.

I used to work at the General Cinema (AMC theater now) right next to it. And I would walk over to Block Party on my breaks and play a game or 2 of DDR.

I kept runnin' into the folks from INDYddr, back when there were only like... 12 of us. So I joined up.

I kinda miss the ol' Yahoo board.

sonykid753
Standard
Standard

Post by sonykid753 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 8:53 pm

played at lazer blaze in louisville at a church lockout and then about a year later i found out one of my friends had it so i got me interested again and i went and bought max 2 on ps2 then my friend (mao) got into it too so we started playin together. just started trying to PA in the arcade about 5 months ago tho
AAA's - 1
1. kind lady

SDG's - 17
17. sexy planet oni - 5
16. its raining men - 8
15. butterfly - 5

STM200
Light
Light

Post by STM200 » Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:28 pm

About a month ago one day my brother brought home extreme and a pad from bestbuy and we got hooked.

Mei-Mei
Standard
Standard

Post by Mei-Mei » Mon Feb 07, 2005 1:57 am

I started playing once in a great while back in my sophomore year of high school with a few friends. When I got to Indy, I had been on standard for quite a while. Started playing more frequently, got significantly better. I'm still not what I consider "good" though. ^^; Comes with time and practice, I know. =p I can still find fun out of it though.

Mosh_Mosh_Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Mosh_Mosh_Revolution » Tue Feb 08, 2005 4:59 pm

The only reason I started playing DDR was because Time Crisis II broke.

LoL. This was right after I started working at Lazer X, which was early July. I started playing during dead time with the guys there. When they got Time Crisis up and running again, I was really bent on quitting DDR. I didn't, though. Don't know why. I guess I just figured there was no reason to quit if I could play both. *shrug*

If it weren't for Time Crisis breaking, though, things would be very, very different for me. Most of the people I hang out with now are people I met through DDR.
No more eggs! :D
An actual signature will come soon, I suppose.

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Tue Feb 08, 2005 9:24 pm

Originally, it was something to do to pass time while my daughter played the other games at Lazerlite.

CgSquall
Standard
Standard

Post by CgSquall » Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:04 pm

I got pissed off while i was in Timeout in Greenwood playing Time Crisis(don't remember one of them) and some DDR kid said something to the extent of "This game is so easy, try ddr" so i did, first round i played on heavy and got a few C's and a D, back then that was still considered pretty good...