How did you get into DDR?

Moderator: Moderators

Ray_Clark
Standard
Standard

yea

Post by Ray_Clark » Wed Feb 09, 2005 11:50 am

Although I said I've been playing for a year and a half(that info is on the introduce yourself thread), I actually tried it in 2001 at the old arcade in Lafayette Square Mall. I used to go up there and play Tekken 4(back then it was some heavy competition). Then I seen some guys playing DDR USA. They convinced me to try it and I did on light mode. It was cool, but I kinda stop playing for a while. It took me 2 years after that for me to play again. I got addicted this time and I having stop ever since.

aspen
Standard
Standard

Post by aspen » Thu Feb 10, 2005 5:12 am

I started playing DDR back about a year ago around January of '04. I started a job in Indy and met a guy named Ian(Gatekeeper, Monban) who also worked there. We quickly found out we had the same interest in music, and we both knew about DDR. I had only played it once prior to meeting him. He invited me to come to WS Funpark and play with the gang :) . I played a few times and got to meet the people :D and it all kind of fell in place after that. I've been playing ever since, short of this time period of being out of the country :P

Juwi bean
Standard
Standard

Post by Juwi bean » Fri Feb 11, 2005 11:48 am

Let's see...

I was first introduced to DDR in the winterish time of 2001...my friend Shannon and I started playing during our break for BOA. My friend James H. (who was better than me at the time...since I have NEVER played...it's good to know I kick his ass now ^^) anyway, James put on Butterfly Upswing Mix, i believe, because I really liked that song. He said it was on Beginner...but I don't think so. I don't think Shannon has ever played again as a result. But I really liked the game and I wanted to get better.

Every time (I think it was twice) that Shannon, Andrew (UberAvonDancer) and I went to the mall...Andrew would play and I'd want to, but Shannon didn't.

So almost a year later I started playing at Just 4 Fun (when it had a 3rd Mix) The next time I went, they had a 5th Mix (my baby) I was already playing Standard and Heavy at the time (from playing at home)

The first Heavy song I beat: "Kick the Can" and then "Dream a Dream" and then I failed "Heat of the Night" (I believe...I failed on the last song of that set) I beat my first Heavy song with my friend Shaun (ParaniodBoi...from the last IndyDDR) (that's right...Paraniod*)

I was forced by Justin (SSJRigsby), Andrew, and Paul (DarkScythe) to play Heavy songs before I was ready. So I learned really fast. Plus, I didn't have someone bad to start with me. So I was bad all by myself. But I learned from some awesome people. And now I'm better than a lot of people who have been playing longer than me.

But I'm out of practice. Now I wanna play DDR.

I hope you enjoyed my story...it feels good to look back :-P
i am cute. my panda's bigger than your panda.
Avon Otaku

aspen
Standard
Standard

Post by aspen » Fri Feb 11, 2005 1:00 pm

Juwi bean wrote:Let's see...

I was first introduced to DDR in the winterish time of 2001...my friend Shannon and I started playing during our break for BOA. My friend James H. (who was better than me at the time...since I have NEVER played...it's good to know I kick his ass now ^^) anyway, James put on Butterfly Upswing Mix, i believe, because I really liked that song. He said it was on Beginner...but I don't think so. I don't think Shannon has ever played again as a result. But I really liked the game and I wanted to get better.

Every time (I think it was twice) that Shannon, Andrew (UberAvonDancer) and I went to the mall...Andrew would play and I'd want to, but Shannon didn't.

So almost a year later I started playing at Just 4 Fun (when it had a 3rd Mix) The next time I went, they had a 5th Mix (my baby) I was already playing Standard and Heavy at the time (from playing at home)

The first Heavy song I beat: "Kick the Can" and then "Dream a Dream" and then I failed "Heat of the Night" (I believe...I failed on the last song of that set) I beat my first Heavy song with my friend Shaun (ParaniodBoi...from the last IndyDDR) (that's right...Paraniod*)

I was forced by Justin (SSJRigsby), Andrew, and Paul (DarkScythe) to play Heavy songs before I was ready. So I learned really fast. Plus, I didn't have someone bad to start with me. So I was bad all by myself. But I learned from some awesome people. And now I'm better than a lot of people who have been playing longer than me.

But I'm out of practice. Now I wanna play DDR.

I hope you enjoyed my story...it feels good to look back :-P
Hey, you and me both Juli...I haven't played in about 8 months :(

STUPID ARMY! :P j/k

But I shall return and fulfill my destiny...whatever that may be 8) but dider will be included in there somewhere... :D

Rusty Shackleford
Standard
Standard

Post by Rusty Shackleford » Sun Feb 13, 2005 11:27 pm

I started playing because of the first DDR A THON for riley childrens hospital.

Lolita
Light
Light

Post by Lolita » Thu Feb 17, 2005 12:47 pm

It was three years ago at Sugoi con, when I first stepped on the pad.

I am a major Anime fan, and I don't remember where I had first heard of DDR, but I knew what it was... I was wearing a skirt that was too short, and I think I passed with a D...

Just barely...

I remember I did some songs on Light mode that were really hard...

But, look at us now!
Student, freak, Fangirl, and Part Time Dream J-rocker,

~Lolita~
(Formerly Rally Vixen)

Yume_Taira
Standard
Standard

Post by Yume_Taira » Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:55 pm

I first saw it way back when B&A's had a Third. I failed miserably, but I promised to come back and try again. When I did, it was gone.

One day, about four years ago or so, I walked into Ben and Ari's, and saw the same game I tried...but it was different.

It was a DDRMAX.

And the rest, well...is history. ^_^

Darkstarwebstar
Standard
Standard

Post by Darkstarwebstar » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:29 am

i just went out and was llooking for a new game and sae ddr so i blew like 60 dollars on a game and pad and still have both of those to this day. but that was a year and 1.2 ago so i should get a better pad.
You're beautiful
Well I'm a total wreck and almost every day.
Like the firing squad or the mess you made.
Well don't I look pretty walking down the street.
In the best damn dress(pair of pants for me) I own?
My Chemical Romance- Give Em Hell, Kid

God Of Rock
Standard
Standard

Post by God Of Rock » Sat Mar 05, 2005 10:38 am

Started in Japan.

Came back and have been playing since.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:44 pm

I started playing after my friends and I started hanging out at putt putt. But it was mostly Chris that convinced me to try it, but by that time, he was already moving up to Heavy, so I'm still way behind.

Tsaren
Light
Light

Post by Tsaren » Sun Mar 06, 2005 1:10 am

Heh i started after my room mate drug me out there to try and instantly got addicted

oh yah /wave Orange Lounger

MEEP!

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Sun Mar 06, 2005 11:46 am

I first saw ddr at circle center a few years ago(back when it was still by the front desk) and was amazed by these people playing songs on heavy. After that I wanted to play it but didn't get to for a long time. about 2 years ago I got max 2 for ps2... played now and then. after a while I just stopped playing :( . recently I've gotten back into it and have been to GW a few times. I wont stop again!
indyddr.com - "THE DUMBEST forum on the Web."

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Sun Mar 06, 2005 2:38 pm

Tsaren wrote:Heh i started after my room mate drug me out there to try and instantly got addicted

oh yah /wave Orange Lounger

MEEP!
/poke

yamcha61
Standard
Standard

Post by yamcha61 » Tue Mar 08, 2005 11:14 am

I got into DDR because one day I was at Laser Flash and a group of ppl came in and tore the game apart. After I saw that it look irresitible. Since then I haven't stopped playing. :P
What happens when you get scared half to death twice?

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Re: ...

Post by letshavetea » Tue Mar 08, 2005 12:05 pm

Darkstarwebstar wrote:i just went out and was llooking for a new game and sae ddr so i blew like 60 dollars on a game and pad and still have both of those to this day. but that was a year and 1.2 ago so i should get a better pad.
yea same here... i still have my orriginal pads (but mine are like... 3.5 years old) neither of them work now... and so im going to nail them to my wall :P