Swap Magic??

Moderator: Moderators

vtec@5400
Standard
Standard

Swap Magic??

Post by vtec@5400 » Thu May 19, 2005 4:37 pm

I searched on this but it's hard to find anything about it. But does anyone have an experience with Swap magic? I'm thinking about getting it for my old style PS2 so I don't have to spend a ton of the japanese ps2 or mod.

Spazz
Standard
Standard

Post by Spazz » Thu May 19, 2005 10:57 pm

It works. There's a blue PS2 with a bunch of homosex writing on it floating around somewhere with a fliptop and swap magic. I played my first game on DDR Extreme (outside the arcade) on a system running it. Works wonders.

vtec@5400
Standard
Standard

Post by vtec@5400 » Thu May 19, 2005 11:25 pm

Alright. I just had to make sure. How in the world does this thing work?

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Fri May 20, 2005 12:02 am

Basically, when combined with some method of swapping the disc without the system firmware knowing (flop top, slide card, etc.), it allows you to trick the firmware into thinking that it's playing a valid game for your region. The swap disc is a valid pressed disc that loads up and immediately tells you to swap discs (using whatever method you choose other than hitting the eject button) then hit a key, and it boots that disc. Normally, the system firmware would detect the disc change, validate it again, and reject the out of region game, never starting it. The flip top or slide card allows you to bypass this check, and the swap disc lets you boot the game without the help of the system firmware (which would reject it).
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

vtec@5400
Standard
Standard

Post by vtec@5400 » Fri May 20, 2005 9:34 am

That explains it all.I'll have to get one of these.

Zash
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Zash » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:27 pm

I just recently purchased a Breaker Pro CD for my PS2. It's the same thing as the Swap Magic discs except it allows you to play Playstation Games instead of PS2 games. I've been playing the hell out of the old DDR mixes. :lol:

Don't waste your money on a Japanese PS2. Get a flip-top, Swap Magic, and Breaker Pro *assuming you want to play PS1 games*. You'll be happy. I don't even have a flip-top yet. I just took the cover off of my PS2 lol.