So I heard a rumor...

Moderator: Moderators

Pumeleon
Standard
Standard

Post by Pumeleon » Thu Aug 04, 2005 2:01 am

Okay, correction time.

It's OCTOBER not September.

And my contact wouldn't divulge where. If the place got flooded with people on the first week or so, they'd know something was up.
Penis size is inversely proportional to signature size.

pkmnx
Standard
Standard

Post by pkmnx » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:40 am

Ho wrote:Yes, but did you play it?

(If you answer no, I may have to take a drive to smack you around a little. ;))
Uh...sure! I, uh, played it. Best 200 yen I've ever spent.

*flees*

tepples
Light
Light

Post by tepples » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:22 pm

MonMotha wrote:Oh, and unbootleggable my ass. Extreme was supposedly "unbootleggable" too. I give them 6 months if they're still using S573 and the old digital I/O board. If they changed hardware completely, it'll be "unbootleggable" simply by way of being the only game to run on the new hardware.
In order for it to be unbootleggable, it would have to have brand new play mechanics such as the EyeToy-based 6-panel game in Extreme US. This would require a new cabinet. Otherwise anybody could bootleg it by capturing the music and backgrounds and transcribing the steps from video, dumping the result into a PC with an ArcadeVGA card, an ITG-IO board, Linux, and StepMania (hardware similar to the ITG Boxor).

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Aug 12, 2005 10:11 am

tepples wrote:
MonMotha wrote:Oh, and unbootleggable my ass. Extreme was supposedly "unbootleggable" too. I give them 6 months if they're still using S573 and the old digital I/O board. If they changed hardware completely, it'll be "unbootleggable" simply by way of being the only game to run on the new hardware.
In order for it to be unbootleggable, it would have to have brand new play mechanics such as the EyeToy-based 6-panel game in Extreme US. This would require a new cabinet. Otherwise anybody could bootleg it by capturing the music and backgrounds and transcribing the steps from video, dumping the result into a PC with an ArcadeVGA card, an ITG-IO board, Linux, and StepMania (hardware similar to the ITG Boxor).
What you're describing isn't so much a bootleg as it is a conversion. In the context we're discussing, a bootleg is a copy of the original game with hardware and/or software modifications to make it run on its intended hardware in a machine that would otherwise lock it out due to copy protection, region coding, or other restrictions imposed by the manufacturer. Given sufficient time, desire, and effort, I doubt that any game is unbootleggable by this definition.

MonMotha's point was that a DDR game designed for new hardware would be "unbootleggable" because even if the copy protection and region restrictions were broken, no one would have a machine to run it on because the hardware would have to be purchased from Konami in the first go around. If a subsequent games were released to run on that hardware, then bootleggers may create bootlegs of the new versions to run on the hardware people already had. This is what has been happening to the vast majority of DDR machines in the US that were imported from overseas and then upgraded with bootleg kits.

BakaOrochi
Korean!
Korean!

Post by BakaOrochi » Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:56 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if there is another arcade Mix that it'll run the same as GFVdmV's new hardware style: off a PS2 hard drive.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Aug 12, 2005 1:05 pm

BakaOrochi wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if there is another arcade Mix that it'll run the same as GFVdmV's new hardware style: off a PS2 hard drive.
Is it the same as Dancing Stage Fusion? That would be my guess as to the platform for a future DDR release.

sam
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Being a burden is great. It's like my... seventh favorite thing to be.

Post by sam » Fri Aug 12, 2005 11:44 pm

if anything it would get a dvd-rom upgrade as that is more cost effective.
insert code compile execute return

BakaOrochi
Korean!
Korean!

Post by BakaOrochi » Sat Aug 13, 2005 3:11 am

Eh, Konami may not see it that way. If it's DVD-ROM, it doesn't prevent bootleggers at all, since those can also be copied easily. If using PS2's + HDD may cost Konami a hundred bucks more per unit, but it deters bootlegging by a whole lot (or makes the bootleg cost too much for it to be worth it), then Konami did a job well done.