DDR Karaoke Mix

Moderator: Moderators

LikeableRodent

DDR Karaoke Mix

Post by LikeableRodent » Sat Feb 05, 2005 3:34 am

I'm sure many people have heard rumors of the DDR Karaoke Mix of which only extremely low numbers (like about two or three) actually exist, so I figured you may be interested to know that there's currently an auction for one on Yahoo.

You know, just in case someone wants to buy it.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Sat Feb 05, 2005 8:30 am

I've seen other auctions for this on Yahoo! Auctions Japan. A previous one I saw had additional pictures of the machine actually on. The stage design is rather cool in that the arrow part of the design on the panels is actually transparent so that you can see the colored light tubes inside. It was a nice look.

I have never seen one actually played (nor do I know of anyone who has), but I will share things I've picked up or inferred from other discussions about this game.

For those that don't know anything about this game, it is said to include literally thousands of songs and have the ability to add thousands more. However, don't get too excited. My understanding is that it's basically a marriage between a karaoke machine and a custom DDR game. The game generates steps on-the-fly as the music is playing. So the music is actually contained within the karaoke part of the machine...which is why it's so large and expandable. I don't really know if there is any game element to the karaoke (as in Karaoke Revolution).

Konami had a Playstation game called Goo Goo Soundy that had a mode that generated DDR step arrows on-the-fly to music that you provided. I bought a copy of this game last year out of curiosity. When you enter this mode in the game, you replace the game disc with a music CD. The game then generates arrows to go along with the music. The arrow patterns were alright, but not all that interesting. I think it was basically using beat detection to keep them in sync with the music. I don't think it ever came up with anything that was more than maybe a 4 foot difficulty and it seemed to get confused and randomly switch between downbeats and upbeats for its synchronization.

Anyway, I imagine that DDR Karaoke Mix might have borrowed its step generation engine from Goo Goo Soundy. I suppose the fact that GGS didn't generate very difficult steps is probably not such a bad thing in this case. Afterall, do you want to try and sing while stepping at 200-300+ bpm? So yes, it has tons of songs, and yes it is karaoke, but I think the DDR element of the game would quickly become more gimmick than anything. Although it might be a neat thing to have just for the sake of collectibility.

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Sun Feb 06, 2005 9:59 am

Yea ive heard the same about the thousands of songs with ability to add more... they said that you can also record your voice and save it onto the machine... and play it later as a song...

Mosh_Mosh_Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Mosh_Mosh_Revolution » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:10 pm

I'm sorry that this is only slightly on topic, but what I really wish they would produce, or what I wish I could put together myself, is karaoke versions of the DDR songs that I could play on Karaoke Revolution (once I get it. Just blew my money on a PS2, so am going to have to wait on KR).

Is this possible at all? To doctor the songs yourself or something?
No more eggs! :D
An actual signature will come soon, I suppose.

Secef
Standard
Standard

Post by Secef » Sat Feb 26, 2005 9:09 pm

Mosh_Mosh_Revolution wrote:I'm sorry that this is only slightly on topic, but what I really wish they would produce, or what I wish I could put together myself, is karaoke versions of the DDR songs that I could play on Karaoke Revolution (once I get it. Just blew my money on a PS2, so am going to have to wait on KR).

Is this possible at all? To doctor the songs yourself or something?
Well... they were planning to make something like this, but according to BemaniStyle, Konami cancelled its release due to lack of interest. It was going to have a bunch of BEMANI songs in a Karaoke Revolution format, not just DDR songs. They might release it in the future if demand increases for it however.

Here's the game's official website on KonamiStyle

Mosh_Mosh_Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Mosh_Mosh_Revolution » Sun Feb 27, 2005 6:54 pm

Agh, come on, Konami+Bemani fans!!! Unite and get me this Bemani Karaoke game!!!!

XeRo
Standard
Standard

Post by XeRo » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:19 pm

Get you? Are you proposing that we get together and all go out and buy it for you!? Pfft...maybe if you went out and bought me my own home machine so that I could play ItG or DDR anytime I wanted, and if you did...I suppose I could be nice enough to let you of my Fort Fun peeps come over and share the wealth! :P

Mosh_Mosh_Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Mosh_Mosh_Revolution » Thu Apr 14, 2005 11:20 pm

And since I feel like bumping, I think I will! <3

Another karaoke question I have. Call me stupid, but I found that when I plugged my microphone into the USB port on my lappy, I could use it as a regular mic.

NOW... Since we have things like Stepmania, is there something out there that any of you know about that's a karaoke game that you can download like Stepmania and play?

Spazz
Standard
Standard

Post by Spazz » Thu Apr 28, 2005 9:40 am

No.