RedOctane Woes

Moderator: Moderators

Pink Pheonix
Standard
Standard

RedOctane Woes

Post by Pink Pheonix » Sun May 08, 2005 1:49 am

So, I got a RedOctane Ignition pad for my birthday which happened to be last weekend(so all of this has occured in the past week). It wasn't the new updated version. All was well and it worked just fine the first day, the second day the down arrow wasn't responding. So we returned it to Best Buy and then got another one except this time i got the updated version. The same day as the exchange i'm playing on it and all of a sudden the arrows stop responding(after a few hours of gameply). We try to figure out what's wrong, tried to see if there was a problem w/ the connectors and whatnot and discovered something odd. If you only used one foot there were no problems. But the instant you had two feet on arrows(or one foot just stationary on an arrow and the other moving to hit other arrows) the pad wouldn't respond(well, it wasn't all misses, there were some boos and goods as well). I'd prefer not having to take it back for an exchange again, but it looks like i may have to. Does anyone have any suggestions?
One time, at Latvian camp...

Spazz
Standard
Standard

Re: RedOctane Woes

Post by Spazz » Sun May 08, 2005 3:02 am

Pink Pheonix wrote:So, I got a RedOctane Ignition pad for my birthday which happened to be last weekend(so all of this has occured in the past week). It wasn't the new updated version. All was well and it worked just fine the first day, the second day the down arrow wasn't responding. So we returned it to Best Buy and then got another one except this time i got the updated version. The same day as the exchange i'm playing on it and all of a sudden the arrows stop responding(after a few hours of gameply). We try to figure out what's wrong, tried to see if there was a problem w/ the connectors and whatnot and discovered something odd. If you only used one foot there were no problems. But the instant you had two feet on arrows(or one foot just stationary on an arrow and the other moving to hit other arrows) the pad wouldn't respond(well, it wasn't all misses, there were some boos and goods as well). I'd prefer not having to take it back for an exchange again, but it looks like i may have to. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Go into settings and turn the controller off. I think that's what the option is. Something about turning the controller off. And it'll fix your troubles. Would've fixed it the first time. Good luck.

Pink Pheonix
Standard
Standard

Post by Pink Pheonix » Sun May 08, 2005 4:31 am

It isn't a software issue though. We tried it on stepmania and extreme for the ps2. We even put in an identical pad in the same port only to see it work fine. What's more confusing is how it works absolutely fine as long as two arrows aren't being pressed at once. I was always under the assumption that RO pads were great, but for two to die in one day of use?
One time, at Latvian camp...

Mosh_Mosh_Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Mosh_Mosh_Revolution » Sun May 08, 2005 2:11 pm

Dang. >_<

It really looks like RedOctane is slipping. Or just sliding straight to hell. LoL.

I've never seriously considered buying a home pad (besides the squishy I have now) just because they're so expensive. >_< I've played on OrangeLounger's Cobalt Flux, though, and it rocks.

I've spent enough in arcades by now that I could have purchased my own home pad once or twice over, so I think I'll just continue with that. I'm lucky that DDR/ITG is relatively easy to access.

Good luck with your pad, though. My suggestion: take the sucker back, get yet another. If this one doesn't work, take it back, get your money back, and add some of your own money to get a Cobalt Flux.
No more eggs! :D
An actual signature will come soon, I suppose.

Spazz
Standard
Standard

Post by Spazz » Sun May 08, 2005 5:24 pm

Pink Pheonix wrote:It isn't a software issue though. We tried it on stepmania and extreme for the ps2. We even put in an identical pad in the same port only to see it work fine. What's more confusing is how it works absolutely fine as long as two arrows aren't being pressed at once. I was always under the assumption that RO pads were great, but for two to die in one day of use?
*facepalms* Last time I try to help someone on the interweb.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun May 08, 2005 7:24 pm

Do try turning controller off. That will disable the x, o, square, and triangle buttons that you may be inadvertantly pressing. Does it still work if you try hitting two arrows at once?

The other thing is that the new "dual platform editon" that includes both X-Box and PSX connections is broken, as least on Playstation. You won't notice it on a PS2 (or at least you shouldn't), but on an original PSX (and probably the smaller PSOne), the pad draws more current than is allowed, causing random errors and such. In fact, if you hook two of them up to a PSX, neither side will work at all. The old version (with PSX connectors only) don't have this problem.

Failing that, I guess go get another one. I had 3 of the RO thin pads before I got my ignition. One got killed, the other was DOA, and the 3rd is now happy with a new owner (I liked it too, but I got my ignitions).

Also, are you using this on a PlayStation or an X-Box? I've never used any of their gear on an X-Box, but I've had various reports of lots of the X-Box DDR gear being flakey. RO just uses generic controller boards (the old one was a Topway, same board as MadCatz used), so they may be running into the same issue as others.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Mon May 09, 2005 5:03 pm

could be mapping the axises(axes??) wrong
indyddr.com - "THE DUMBEST forum on the Web."