chonorof
Beginner
Beginner

ERROR 177 with DDR Mix 4

Post by chonorof » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:21 pm

.screenshot.1529268165.jpg
.screenshot.1529268165.jpg (69.44 KiB) Viewed 6680 times
Hello all!

I have gotten involved with a DDR 4th edition and and it is failing on boot with an error 177 and then the screen calls out PCCARD2 BAD and says that there is a CHECKSUM at the top of the screen.

Tried to see if I could read the 32MB Flash on my PC but I have no reader for it. Duplicated the CD-ROM and the same error even after running a cleaner disc through it. Tried SW4 and no luck there either.

I can't get the machine into test mode because of the error and I am thinking the the FLASH CARD is the culprit. I have gone onto ebay to find a new card (32MB PCMCIA LINEAR) card and I have found one but I have read comments about some cards working and some not.

I have seen people mentioning SOW forum as a good place to look but I don't know the URL for it. And all the searching was fruitless.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I'm in SoCal and I'm pretty new to this group since I don't know any local groups.

Thanks

Craig

P.S. This is the best card that I found on Ebay...

chonorof
Beginner
Beginner

Re: ERROR 177 with DDR Mix 4

Post by chonorof » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:04 pm

Here is the actual error screen
20180607_1501091.jpg
20180607_1501091.jpg (108.85 KiB) Viewed 6675 times

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Re: ERROR 177 with DDR Mix 4

Post by MonMotha » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:39 pm

If you can get into test mode some how and hit "initialize" on the flash card memory check, it should re-write the card. If not, you'll have to figure out how to make it re-install.

4th mix was an oddball that came on two discs from the factory (or maybe that was only 4th plus) - a separate install and game - whereas all the others were a single disc that was used to install and then play the game.

The data for the flash card is on the installation disc. It's just a matter of getting it onto the card. If you can force a re-installation, it will fix it. It's most likely that the card is fine and that it's just bit rotted. That game is almost 18 years old, after all. Data on flash doesn't last forever, especially not old flash.

The system is rather picky about what flash card it will work with. Just any old linear card will unfortunately not work. It has to have Fujitsu flash in it. Intel, which is far more common, doesn't work at all.

If you have a bootleg (illegitimate copy sold to unwitting machine owners as though they were legit), you may not be able to re-install it without the second installation disc that may have come with it. Bootlegs are very common. Unfortunately each bootleg works differently in regard to installation.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.