Perfect Attack and Achieving It.

Moderator: Moderators

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Fri May 13, 2005 1:49 pm

I first AA'ed a Heavy song after a few months of playing, maybe (it was a long time ago :lol: ).

I first AAA'ed a song (Witch Doctor Standard) at probably a year or so, maybe a bit more.

I still haven't AAA'ed a Heavy song, and now that I don't play so much, I probably never will :cry:

TaQa
Standard
Standard

Post by TaQa » Sat May 14, 2005 1:06 am

Vince wrote:It's really just a matter of climbing up the ladder and refining your accuracy. Don't try to AA trippy songs like Gamelan or Xenon if you can't do it on something as straightforward as Holic.
Holic is so not straightforward, 7/8 time is confusing :-\

Also, "Trippy", as you call them, songs are very good learning tools when learning to AA/AAA things. Learning the rhythms to songs and associating them with the sound it makes when you step (note: Not stomp) is important. If you don't get a perfect on a step, you can figure out why not, and adjust your timing. Xenon is a perfect example: In the non-chaos parts, you follow the background. Now, MOST people will kind of...slop through it, and not even notice they're getting 20-30 greats in that part alone. Knowing why you aren't doing good is a great step towards getting better.

Vince
Standard
Standard

Post by Vince » Sat May 14, 2005 12:20 pm

Of course the syncopated songs are good for improving PA, but still. I have a pretty vast musical background, and when trying to teach someone how to play, I would have them learn a song where the fastest note value is an 8th note, before even thinking about having them try to play something with 16th notes or triplets. Gotta work your way up the tower.

My only 9-footer AA is My Summer Love, which is pretty straightforward for the most part. I'm not even close on something like Xenon yet.
-Vince
"I was seein this real good lookin woman for about six weeks until somebody stole the binoculars out of my truck." ~Larry the Cable Guy

Zash
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Zash » Tue Aug 16, 2005 10:09 pm

Took me a while to get my first AA *Door of Magic or whatever*. After that, I started playing all the time. My first AAA came pretty fast *Kind Lady*. PA does take a while to improve upon if you don't naturally have pretty good PA. Music/rhythm isn't exactly the easiest thing to learn.

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Tue Aug 16, 2005 11:01 pm

I actually never got a AA until I played a ton of ITG, I have to say ITG saved my DDR career... since I get paid for it and all....
dance1005 wrote:Fucking retarded bots, bumping threads with dildos.

Dyme
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Dyme » Wed Aug 17, 2005 4:56 pm

ive been playing a little over a year and i got my first AA i think after 4 or 5 months. now i can AA everyting except 10 footers but i AA'd sakura
Team KIMO represent!

MaO88176
Standard
Standard

Post by MaO88176 » Wed Aug 17, 2005 8:06 pm

Like 4 days for my first AA and 2 months for my first AAA (La Copa).

I had played DDR at home enough to get to heavy then quit for like 6 months. Went back to the arcade to get serious and in 4 days I was AAing shit.

XeRo
Standard
Standard

Post by XeRo » Thu Aug 18, 2005 1:42 pm

I'd say my first AA had to have been Senorita Speedy Mix, however, I could be wrong on that seeing as I played many games before Extreme. My first AAA was Freckles heavy...and it does take much patience and time to achieve that...just keep working on your timing...it gets easier with time, trust me. :wink:

Dyme
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Dyme » Thu Aug 18, 2005 4:12 pm

XeRo wrote:I'd say my first AA had to have been Senorita Speedy Mix, however, I could be wrong on that seeing as I played many games before Extreme. My first AAA was Freckles heavy...and it does take much patience and time to achieve that...just keep working on your timing...it gets easier with time, trust me. :wink:
yeah but that doesnt seem to work for me. i have a curse. i will never be able to AAA a song
Team KIMO represent!

Intermezzo
Standard
Standard

Post by Intermezzo » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:00 am

My first AA was Cowgirl on Standard, and my first AAA above Light was Love Love Sugar on Standard. My first AA on Heavy was My Summer Love on x3, and I've yet to AAA a Heavy song. I have trouble with Greats, so I don't really get to many AAs. I've come close to AAing Mahou no Tobira and Waka Laka, but I got too many Greats.

When I go to Circle Centre and I see all those people getting AAs, I feel angsty and have the urge to commit sepukku, for I feel my family has been dishonored. :(

XeroCi
Standard
Standard

Post by XeroCi » Sun Aug 21, 2005 1:46 am

First AA - like... 3 months o.o
First AAA - 10 months (aka the month of August 2005 :D) -Cutie Chaser: Morning Mix on MAXPS2USA on Heavy -
Owner/Operator/Leader of DDRKokomo. Assistant Leader of DDRKokomo: Arrow Stompers.

Pufi the arrow slayer
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Pufi the arrow slayer » Thu Aug 25, 2005 5:15 pm

i've been playing for 7 months and my first AA was jam jam reggae my 6th month

i still suck to bad to get a AAA but
Some Times I Cry At Night

Dyme
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Dyme » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:20 pm

if i had a nice machine in my area or maybe even a decent one, my scores would probably be alot better. wow my avatar is sexy.
Team KIMO represent!

ItAmi
Light
Light

Post by ItAmi » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:11 am

I have that same "greats curse" you're talking about. I'll full combo just about every song I do, but on a normal day there's almost as much greats as perfects. It might have something to do with my alternating of stepmania, home ddr, and arcade ddr too damn much, as timing windows and things like that are different, or so it seems.
Yeah, whatever, blah.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:26 am

The home versions have larger timing windows than arcades (it seems to vary by mix and region, with US mixes being more lienent). StepMania has configurable timing windows and sync. Generally, people with even marginal home setups will score better at home than on an arcade if they frequently play both for this reason.

ITGs timing windows are also slightly larger than DDR's, thoguh ITG adds Fantastic, while DDR only features Marvelous during nonstop and oni play on Extreme.

Also, if you play at home in socks or barefoot, and on arcades with shoes, the timing changes slightly. You have to anticipate more without shoes since your foot doesn't have an extra 1/2" or so of material on the bottom. I tend to do particularly poorly on soft pads these days for that reason.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.