Machine Question

Moderator: Moderators

Shadowolf93
Light
Light

Re: Machine Question

Post by Shadowolf93 » Sun May 15, 2016 9:06 pm

MonMotha wrote:I don't think Betson ever even distributed Disney's Rave. The legit disc certainly wouldn't say that on it since it would be an import. Also, IIRC it's "Dancing Stage Featuring Disney's Rave". There was a US release titled "Dance Dance Revolution Disney Mix" (I think), but it was console only as I recall. Your boot ROM on the Disney's Rave board is also not an original. Now, it may be a copy of the original mask ROM, but normally that's another indication of a bootleg.

What I'm amused at is that it doesn't even have to install to the onboard flash to run. Apparently the whole program fits in RAM. I can't say I'm totally surprised. It's a rather small game compared to many of the other titles.

It's normal for Disney's Rave to not have a flash card. It didn't use one.

Your Extreme might also be a bootleg, though it does have an original boot ROM on the board (there are bootlegs that work with this). Extreme definitely needs to be installed onto the onboard ROM before it can run, so the fact that it didn't immediately boot on your Disney's Rave board is not surprising either. Depending on the bootleg, the process to install it varies. If you do actually have a legit one, it will indeed be keyed to the IO board in your Extreme system. Note that it keys to the IO board, not the main board, as the main board does not have a unique electronic serial number whereas the IO board does.

Yeah I found it very odd, so I contacted a buddy of mine owns an arcade with a 7th mix, so we went and swapped his 7th CD with the Disney CD, Removed the flash cards and security chip and sure enough, it booted right up in Disney's rave, we both more-less laughed as he (nor I) have ever seen a DDR version boot from the CD without the security cart, flashcard and without having some sort of modification on the PCB, but he mentioned the same thing, he has been trying to get a Disney's rave but said getting a legit one through import was nearly impossible and Betson didn't have upgrade kits for this version (Which he mentioned was very weird that it was on the CD as he goes through them for most of his arcade repairs) and like myself he is interested in legit copies, which probably won't ever happen, but it was worth a shot, Seller agreed to refund me 100% so that is good.

I always wondered though where the security cart pulled the serial from, nice to know it's the I/O board, as I always assumed the actual PCB had the serial number on it.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sun May 15, 2016 10:26 pm

Hah, that's a pretty amusing attempt at making the CD look legit, but it looks nothing like the real Konami discs with have a silkscreen, single-color print. I'm guessing it's a burn, too, though I wouldn't be surprised if some of Konami's real distribution were burns. Most were, in fact, pressed discs, believe it or not.

Don't think that just because you buy it from Betson that it's legit. Betson mostly sold bootlegs of the old 573 stuff. Their newer era stuff should be legit, if you can get it, though.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Shadowolf93
Light
Light

Post by Shadowolf93 » Mon May 16, 2016 8:08 am

Yeah you are correct, it looks like a burned CD which is pretty funny, I guess the bootleggers want things to look as legit as possible.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon May 16, 2016 8:59 am

DIP4 on your Disney's Rave unit may be switched to ONBOARD (I forget if that's on or off), so it will be booting the program from whatever is installed on the onboard flash--in this case, Disney's Rave--regardless of what disc is in the drive. Of course, if you have the wrong disc in and actually try to play the game, the game is going to barf when it goes to retrieve media because it's not going to find it.

The fact that it's not saving any settings could be a problem with the bootleg. I know I had a really wonky Disney's Rave bootleg at one point that did all sorts of weird and random things including spontaneously crashing and/or rebooting. So, who knows. But it could also just be (in fact, likely is) that the RTCRAM battery is dead on that board. I don't think I have any 573s left with a working battery at this point. (I think I have at least 4.)

You might consider keeping the extra 573 as they are 16+ years old now and you never know when your main one might crap out. I'm not saying that these things have high failure rates, but they definitely have "high mileage." And you didn't grossly overpay for it in the end (though I LOLed when you quoted the original price because I see whole machines *not* sell for that price! :P). Maybe he might even knock some money off since it wasn't as advertised. As you might have guessed, I'm the kind of guy that likes to have spares around. ;) But, if you want to just return it, that's totally fine, too.

Shadowolf93
Light
Light

Post by Shadowolf93 » Mon May 16, 2016 8:52 pm

I am the same way, I love to have some spares around, Luckily for me, My 8th mix I bought last year had actually had the RTC chip replaced before it was sold, I guess they added a socket for it, that way the battery wasn't actually soldered on so it could be replaced (Wish this one was like that). The funny thing is the seller did contact me around noon and asked if it would be alright if he did a partial refund and gave me all but $50.00 back as he needed to make some profit off the thing then I could just keep the board, so before I replied, I actually jumped on here to check this thread, plus I think it would be good to have a spare board around just in case, as I do have all sorts of other spare computer parts around here, so I agreed to that as it's not a bad deal at all.

Only thing I wish, is that you could reset those security cartridges as I have a 3rd mix plus that we upgraded to 4th mix plus, then to 7th (Which one of our technicians bought the upgrade kit from I think it was channelbeat or one of those other sites) which broke the machine, so they parted the machine out to some arcade repair that took the PCB, lights, Subs and header and left us with an empty machine (We apparently kept the monitor and case, and older versions), It sucked because this happened over a two week period when I was on vacation, so when i got back, they gave me the 3rd mix plus and 4th mix plus CD's and security carts and told me to do whatever with them as they didn't need them, so I kept them around all these years just in case I ever wanted to buy a machine ... and last year I did, but they are still useless sadly ... I just wish they would have done the upgrade on our DDR USA machine instead of messing with the 4th mix plus, as no one in our arcade even played the USA mix, all the DDR fans always did the 4th mix plus.

Edit: I'd love to buy another copy of 4th plus and 5th mix, but I am not sure where the company I worked for bought the copy of 7th from so I'd rather not take the chance, but I did notice Channelbeat (I don't know why this site always comes to mind) does sell 4th Mix Plus and 5th Mix that includes the CD, Manual and Security IC, but I have a hard time believing they are actually new and for the price they are asking, I'd rather not waste the money to get unusable things.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue May 17, 2016 8:53 am

If you ended up with that 573 for $50 in the end, I would say that you got yourself an excellent deal. You also had some astounding luck in dealing with an eBay seller that didn't know his stuff but was willing to make amends for it. BRAVO!

Shadowolf93
Light
Light

Post by Shadowolf93 » Tue May 17, 2016 9:08 pm

Yeah, I figured it was a good deal, plus it looks like the guy replaced the RTC on it, so that should give it some extra life (Probably will die before the battery does).

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Wed May 18, 2016 12:19 am

The batteries only last 10, maybe 15 years tops. Hopefully you won't die before then!
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed May 18, 2016 8:45 am

I think maybe he meant the 573 itself will die before the battery. :)

The CD-ROM drive almost certainly will. :P

Shadowolf93
Light
Light

Post by Shadowolf93 » Wed May 18, 2016 8:36 pm

Ho wrote:I think maybe he meant the 573 itself will die before the battery. :)

The CD-ROM drive almost certainly will. :P
Yeah that's what I meant >.<, Sorry for the bad wording had a long day.