Footpads I/O error

Moderator: Moderators

Klink
Beginner
Beginner

Footpads I/O error

Post by Klink » Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:47 pm

So im working on a cabinet that on startup check says the footpads are "BAD". It wont boot into game mode. In the test menu, testing the foot pads shows that all 8 foot pads are working fine. But it still shows I/O error for foot pads.

This cabinet was recently moved to and from a storage unit while the PS3 was being serviced. I noticed that two wire in the hose going to the foot pads were pulled from their connectors, i fixed those but still have I/O error with working footpads.

Have any of you had this issue, or know which connections specifically i could test/track down. I found the manual with the wiring schematic. Im going to try and figure out what each wire specifically does to the foot pads. If anyone has any more information that would be much appreciated.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Re: Footpads I/O error

Post by MonMotha » Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:45 pm

I take it this is a Supernova or Supernova 2? If so, one of the DIP switches (I don't remember which one) will let it boot bypassing the pad IO check. That will at least get you back up and running if indeed there are no real problems.

Chances are you still have a wiring issue somewhere that's preventing it from establishing bi-directional connectivity with the IO boards. The only thing that's needed for is to do the single sensor checks, so it doesn't impact gameplay any. Depending on where the fault is, you may find that you don't have pad lights, too.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Klink
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Klink » Tue Jan 26, 2016 1:39 pm

Yes it is supernova 2. That seems to fit everything im seeing here. Do you happen to have the layout of the dip switches or a url to a supernova 2 manual?

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Jan 26, 2016 2:10 pm

I'll try and post a picture of my DIP switches tonight. I've never messed with them, but mine seems to work. That means they're correct...right? :oops:

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Jan 26, 2016 8:02 pm

There should be 4 DIP switches near the security dongle(s). This particular option is not documented in the manual.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Jan 27, 2016 1:40 pm

Sorry. I forgot all about this last night. I'll make a note to myself to try again tonight.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:37 am

I took a picture last night. I was just getting ready to post it right now and noted that it was an embarrassingly bad photo. So, rather than putting uncharacteristically bad photography online, I'll just tell you that all 4 DIP switches were in the OFF position.

Klink
Beginner
Beginner

Post by Klink » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:58 pm

Sorry I haven't checked in a while.

I did find the dip switch, setting #2 to on does skip the error shutdown. thanks for that!

now somehow in moving we get nothing from player 1 foot pad. i tried swapping yellow and white connectors for player 2 and player 1 pads, and player 1 works fine.
So somewhere in the wires for player 1 im having an issue. its the 12 pin connectors. Does anyone know more about the details of the wiring?

the wires that plug into the control board are grouped like so:

Black

Green
Blue
Purple
Grey

Green
Blue
Purple
Grey

White
Brown
Black

using a multimeter i get 5v mostly from the bottom black to every other connection except the second black.
on the working player 2 pad the upper most purple gives 112mV while the rest give 5V.

on the non working pads the white give <1v and the rest give 5v.

I hope that makes sense....

my guess is the grey, purple, blue, green goto the pads and they are NO switches. so there should be two wires to handle a pad press, and they just color coordinate this.

Does anyone have any documentation on the wiring for each player pad?

when I first turn on the game all the lights on the pads are supposed to come on.
now player 1 lights do not come on, but i can still read power on the control board underneath the top right panel(player 1)
player 1 pads do not work at all, even with power in the pads. any questions/thoughts would be appreciated.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Feb 22, 2016 10:15 pm

It's unfortunately a bit more complex than just hooking up directly to switches and lights. Everything goes through the little CPLD on the board which has a little state machine in it manipulated by the extra two wires and (maybe, I'm not entirely sure) the signals from the system that normally control the lights. This little state machine allows various individual sensors to be masked off. This is how the game can tell that it's talking to the IO board as well as do individual sensor tests.

In normal operation, one set of the 4 {Green, Blue, Purple, Gray} lines is indeed the signals to the lights, and the other set of 4 is the signals back from the board representing the merged view of its sensors. Figuring out which is which is not too hard. The signals for the sensors originate from a 4 channel optoisolator while the signals that go to the lights come in and are buffered by a schmitt trigger before making their way to the CPLD. The {White, Brown} set controls the aforementioned state machine in the CPLD and are I think also buffered by a schmitt trigger. You can force the whole thing into a usable state by grounding one of those lines, though I don't remember which one off the top of my head.
A normality test:
+++ATH