Wanting to buy the SN2 at Tilt

Moderator: Moderators

Diamondback1996
Standard
Standard

Wanting to buy the SN2 at Tilt

Post by Diamondback1996 » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:30 pm

So the SN2 at Tilt has been broken for months now. Asked someone there today about it and she said the motherboard is fried and it's essentially trash but they don't have room in the back to store it so it sits on the arcade floor. I still think it could have been the HDD dying and it just appears to the techs like the motherboard fried.

She also said I need to talk to a manager if I want to buy it and gave me a phone number to call after 4 pm. Was doing research on the USA that Chad bought (just so I can prove a working machine's price; a machine with irreparable game hardware should go for quite a bit less than one with working game hardware imo. The machine was $995 unless the price changed). I ended up calling after they closed (9 pm) and no one answered. I figured that I would just try again tomorrow.

Anyway, I'm hoping I can get them to let me take it for $500 or less. I would think that if I'm willing to take it off their hands they'll let it go (my apologies) for a low price. Otherwise, it will just sit there, wasting space where they could put the DDR X, which would probably be a good spot for a shiny new redemption game.

Also, a question: my dad wants the machine to go on the 2nd floor. I feel like he's underestimating the weight of those things and that it's a terrible idea. Is there anything wrong with that setup?

Edit: Also, wondering what type of cab it is. I assume the USA was a... well, USA cab. I think I remember seeing Korean on the SN2's warning labels when it was an EXTREME. They're English now. My memory is fuzzy, it could have actually been Japanese.

I wonder if they still have the EXTREME 573 in storage... would be interesting if I could get that as well.

Also, how would I go about transporting it? Moving truck?

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Re: Wanting to buy the SN2 at Tilt

Post by MonMotha » Fri Apr 24, 2015 12:57 am

To be fair, as far as "official" channels go, a dead hard drive (which is indeed likely) basically means the "motherboard" (aka PS2 in a box) is worthless.

The SN2 is a Korean cabinet. They're not as nice as the JP/US ones, but the stage should be identical. IIRC, the monitor is a replacement; it's probably a D9200 which is capable but prone to maintenance issues, but I'm not sure.

You will want a truck to move it, yes. The mall has a dock, so you can just pull the truck up and push the machine on in, but on the other end you'll have to get it out somehow. You can chuck it on an appliance truck, tilt 'er back, and run it down a ramp with enough help (you want AT LEAST 3 people for this, preferably 4 or even 5 so you can have a spotter), but I'd recommend springing for a truck with a lift gate. Bring some moving blankets to avoid unnecessary damage, and you also want plenty of tie-downs to secure it from moving during transport.

The whole thing weighs over 1000lbs. You probably don't want it on a second floor in a typical residential building, especially an older one. Getting it up the stairs will be a huge pain in the butt, too, but it's been done.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:25 am

I always liked that cabinet. I think they were selling it for 6 or 7 thousand when I bought the USA cabinet. Good luck!

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Fri Apr 24, 2015 8:36 am

I second the "don't put it upstairs" notion. Not only is it going to be the absolute biggest pain in the ass to do, the people downstairs are going to have to deal with the noise of people stomping around. An insulated garage would be the best place for a cabinet IMO but the drawback of that is that you'll likely have to sacrifice a car spot and for some people that's a deal breaker.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Fri Apr 24, 2015 9:02 am

Wait, they want how much?

I'm going to consult to see about getting a minimaid and if I can I may swoop in on this one.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Apr 24, 2015 10:32 am

It is definitely a Korean cabinet. It arrived back in 2001 as 3rd Mix Ver.KOREA2. It was subsequently upgraded to MAX2, Extreme, SuperNOVA, and then SuperNOVA2.

When I moved that cabinet for DDR-A-Thon 9 in 2011, I thought it was literally going to fall apart. Ok, I'm exaggerating a little bit, but the whole cabinet creaked, flexed, and made terrible sounds just from pushing it through the mall. I question whether it would survive being transported by truck and strongly question whether it would survive a trip up or down stairs.

I've never recommended putting these machines on a second floor of a house, or even in a house at all, unless there was a slab underneath it (that rules out over a basement or crawlspace). Basement, first floor slab, or garage seem safest. I'm not an engineer and have no scientific data to back this up, but my experience has been that residential floors tend to flex and creak over time through normal use. I wouldn't call putting a 1,000 lb. machine that you jump on repeatedly "normal" for any residential structure.

Heck, even at GameWorks/Tilt, if you stand near the machine while someone is playing, you can feel the floor flex a bit. I don't necessarily think a machine is going to drop through the floor of a house, but I can definitely see that kind of flex causing cracks in the ceiling below or other potential problems. Better safe than sorry, I'd say.

All that being said, the machine did not seem well-maintained the last time I saw it. I don't have any reason to believe it has gotten any better since (though it may not have gotten worse since it's been broken and no longer being played). Especially in its current non-working condition, it barely seems worth $500. I feel that you're likely to spend that much just getting it going again.

Diamondback1996
Standard
Standard

Post by Diamondback1996 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:19 pm

This is a CP Morgan house. It's probably safer to put it on the edge of a cliff than to put it on the second floor of one of these. Also, no basement or crawlspace so it can go on the first floor. Garage would work if it's cleaned out. It's a 2-car garage but we only keep 1 car in it.

Also, I would say the machine is in worse condition because of kids stomping on it for no reason. There's no way they would repair it.

I'm guessing that if I do get it it's best to take everything I can apart, including the Python2 and the monitor.

Diamondback1996
Standard
Standard

Post by Diamondback1996 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:22 pm

Never mind, I was lied to. It's not for sale.

Looks like Tilt's getting an EXTREME again, since that's how Betson is "fixing" SNs.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:26 pm

My first house was a CP Morgan. It was ok. I've had more head scratching, WTF moments in the Hansen & Horn I live in now. I guess it's not caving in on itself, but I don't think there is a single square corner, straight edge, or level surface in this thing. :P

Merk

Post by Merk » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:44 pm

Well shit we're getting a public Extreme in Indy, that answers Cbav's question I guess: http://www.indyddr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4372

Diamondback1996
Standard
Standard

Post by Diamondback1996 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:47 pm

Yeah, this house isn't actually bad. I've always heard that CP Morgan is bad though.

Anyone know where I could find a cheap cabinet?

Diamondback1996
Standard
Standard

Post by Diamondback1996 » Fri Apr 24, 2015 3:47 pm

Merk wrote:Well shit we're getting a public Extreme in Indy, that answers Cbav's question I guess: http://www.indyddr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=4372
Keep in mind that is IF they ever get around to fixing it.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Sat Apr 25, 2015 9:49 am

Diamondback1996 wrote:Yeah, this house isn't actually bad. I've always heard that CP Morgan is bad though.

Anyone know where I could find a cheap cabinet?
A lot of us got ours from trolling eBay every once in awhile. Just keep your eye out - a lot of times machines will pop up from $1500-$2500.

GMSRocks104
Standard
Standard

Post by GMSRocks104 » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:57 pm

I asked a couple days ago, they insisted that they are fixing the SuperNova 2 and I said, "I think you guys are fixing the DDRX and that SN2 has been broken forever and far as I've been hearing YEARS." and the employees didn't care one bit and said I'd have to talk to cooperate. They didn't give me any phone numbers either. I told them to tell them I'd offer $500 to take that *broken* cabinet of their hands and they wouldn't lift a finger to write down any info to whom I could contact. Props to getting that number! Maybe we should race to who will snag it and fix it up ;)

Diamondback1996
Standard
Standard

Post by Diamondback1996 » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:28 am

To be fair, the employees probably have no idea, or are just told to tell people that they are "fixing" any broken machines.

I think the only thing we can do is wait until the last quarter of the year.