The player who can pass harder songs
67%
The player who generally performs better on easier songs
33%

Total votes: 9

Fluffyumpkins

DDR Skill

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:42 pm

Classic argument, but let's see what people think. Is the better player the one with all the stamina and technique to pass incredibly difficult songs, or the one that can't clear hard songs, but performs very well on easier songs?

ex1: Someone who has few AAAs but can pass those crazy ITG style 14s.
ex2: Someone who gets too tired to pass really tough songs, but has a lot of AAAs on 8s and below.

For the purposes of this poll, tech play is in question. Freestyle ability and overall funness should not be factored in.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: DDR Skill

Post by Merk » Mon Jul 28, 2014 2:51 pm

I'm going to go with "Someone who has few AAAs but can pass those crazy ITG style 14s" because I think it's a lot harder to build up stamina than it is to build up your timing skills. I feel like some of you will disagree but keep in mind my perspective is that of a fat person so to me the amount of work I'd have to put in to pass crazy hard Mad Matt shit is a lot more than it would be for me to AAA something like..... Spin The Disc.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:59 pm

Harder songs. I mean anybody with a little dedication can whore out a song over and over to get a AAA... it's not "hard," it just takes some tries and focus. It's hard to pass really fast stuff and not die doing it. I assume that the person doing the hard stuff is still doing relatively well by the way, or if he's just barely passing the song is super hard. But it's still harder than AAAing a 7 or 8 or whatever.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Mon Jul 28, 2014 5:14 pm

Generally the people who can pass super hard songs are also fairly good at accuracy. It may have been more true in the days were us cool kids would do "suicide sets" and get As and B's on all 3 songs. I don't think the sampling today would be the same. Near the end of my tenure playing seriously the exponential nature of skill increase of newcomers seemed to mean they could kill Dragon force songs and AAA a good amount of the set list.

This, of course, can vary.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:14 pm

When it comes to rhythm games, I've seen the best way to handle things is to have set goals based on the level of difficulty for the song so that you can get the best of both worlds.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Aug 05, 2014 3:58 pm

So are we all in agreement that stamina is a better indicator of skill than timing?

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:45 pm

So, for example, my accuracy on easier stuff is certainly better than harder stuff, but there are plenty of people who can out-time me with ease on lower difficulty stuff that still cannot even pass some of the harder stuff I can do on PIU. How does that factor in? They're really kinda separate skills, it seems.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Oct 14, 2014 1:44 pm

Stamina > timing

So in that respect, you're the better player! I suppose you can look at it from the eyes of a casual observer. If a rando watches a dude fail around on PSMO and get a B and then watches another dude AAA Kind Lady then I'd wager that the rando would think that the guy who played PSMO is better at the game by the sheer fact that PSMO looks way more difficult.

I'd agree with you in that they are separate skills but as this poll shows, stamina is more valued than timing. Ultimately both are needed to compete at the highest level but stamina is much harder to build than timing because you'll naturally get better timing in the process of building stamina.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Oct 14, 2014 2:55 pm

I remember we took the CF pad to Teter once, and played some difficult-ish songs. Some rando started playing Matsuri Japan Heavy and really struggled to get through it. He looked like he was going to pass out. Once finished, everyone around commented about how hard it was and how that's gotta be the hardest song in the game.

If you want to make something look difficult, act like you're struggling to do it but still succeeding.