Cheap DDR pad?

Moderator: Moderators

Reflectivity
Standard
Standard

Cheap DDR pad?

Post by Reflectivity » Fri May 23, 2014 7:34 pm

I'm broke at the moment, and don't really have any options to play DDR at the moment. (Surprise! My local machine is broken. Again. -.-)
I remember seeing a reasonably cheap pad somewhere that only required taping wires to the floor. This seems like something I could afford at the moment to satisfy my DDR craving.
Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Re: Cheap DDR pad?

Post by Merk » Sat May 24, 2014 10:09 pm

How cheap are we talking here? Do you have a budget?

Reflectivity
Standard
Standard

Post by Reflectivity » Mon May 26, 2014 2:50 pm

I'm a broke 12 year old so let's say $50

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon May 26, 2014 8:01 pm

Are you trying to play double or just single? There are decent soft pad options at that price.

What interface do you require? I happen to have a couple old RedOctane "Ignition" pads that I have no use for nowadays. They're the good ones, in terms of physical construction, but that means they only have a Playstation [2] interface on them.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Reflectivity
Standard
Standard

Post by Reflectivity » Tue May 27, 2014 7:10 am

MonMotha wrote:Are you trying to play double or just single? There are decent soft pad options at that price.

What interface do you require? I happen to have a couple old RedOctane "Ignition" pads that I have no use for nowadays. They're the good ones, in terms of physical construction, but that means they only have a Playstation [2] interface on them.
That's my problem. I only have beware's stepmania running on my computer at the moment. The only adapter I own is GC > USB, so I wouldn't be able to use that =c

My birthday is relatively soon, and my mom said she'd buy me a set of pads (from her and my stepfather.) These were what I was going to get:
http://www.ddrgame.com/pcensoft.html

DAVE101
ITG4LYFE
ITG4LYFE

Post by DAVE101 » Tue May 27, 2014 10:04 am

I saw the ddrgame link and instantly knew you were in good hands. You can't go wrong with those.

/sarcasm

Reflectivity
Standard
Standard

Post by Reflectivity » Tue May 27, 2014 3:08 pm

DAVE101 wrote:I saw the ddrgame link and instantly knew you were in good hands. You can't go wrong with those.

/sarcasm
I don't know much about buying. Could you point me in the right direction?

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue May 27, 2014 3:17 pm

Welp, I can't comment on how bad/good the DDRGame soft pads are but the rule of thumb for soft pads is that on their own they are generally pretty bad unless you do some modification. There's a really old school article on this topic on DDR Freak - http://www.ddrfreak.com/library/faqs-modding.php

If you don't worry about score so much then whatevs, a soft pad taped down to the floor will suffice but expect a lot of pad misses.

The Ignition pads that MonMotha has were the gold standard for home softpads back in the day. If you can get your hands on a PS2 -> PC adapter then I'd highly recommend going the Ignition route.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue May 27, 2014 4:21 pm

I regularly played 9-footer single on the Ignitions back in the day with no real complaints. No, it's not arcade-quality, but no soft pad is going to be. 10s were a little tricky, mostly because even with a non-skid bottom (which the Ignitions have), they tended to move around. Since the Ignitions have a fairly dense foam insert, they don't bunch up, at least. I even played double on them, though they were only good for easier/simpler doubles up to maybe level 7 or 8.

Of all things, the Radio Shack Playstation->USB adapter is the gold standard for hooking these things up to a PC. They're low-lag and map the arrows as buttons, rather than a joystick, so you don't have problems with left-right or up-down jumps.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.

DAVE101
ITG4LYFE
ITG4LYFE

Post by DAVE101 » Wed May 28, 2014 1:28 pm

I had this DDRGame foam pad (from where you linked), and the plastic arrow risers migrated out of position.
Merk wrote: There's a really old school article on this topic on DDR Freak - http://www.ddrfreak.com/library/faqs-modding.php
I did this actually and was really satisfied. I learned how to play up to 12s with shoes on this, can't say that about any other soft pad. I ended up doing it with my PIU soft pad as well, but I was able to mimic arrow recession by nailing 1/8" blocks on top of the plywood in between the arrow positions.

Reflectivity
Standard
Standard

Post by Reflectivity » Thu May 29, 2014 7:12 am

MonMotha wrote:I regularly played 9-footer single on the Ignitions back in the day with no real complaints. No, it's not arcade-quality, but no soft pad is going to be. 10s were a little tricky, mostly because even with a non-skid bottom (which the Ignitions have), they tended to move around. Since the Ignitions have a fairly dense foam insert, they don't bunch up, at least. I even played double on them, though they were only good for easier/simpler doubles up to maybe level 7 or 8.

Of all things, the Radio Shack Playstation->USB adapter is the gold standard for hooking these things up to a PC. They're low-lag and map the arrows as buttons, rather than a joystick, so you don't have problems with left-right or up-down jumps.
If I can get my hands on such a converter, how much would you want for the pads? I have $50 but I can get more.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu May 29, 2014 11:20 am

Do you want one or both? ...And let me find them before I commit to selling them. I think I know where they are, but they haven't seen the light of day in probably 5 years.
A normality test:
+++ATH

Reflectivity
Standard
Standard

Post by Reflectivity » Thu May 29, 2014 2:39 pm

MonMotha wrote:Do you want one or both? ...And let me find them before I commit to selling them. I think I know where they are, but they haven't seen the light of day in probably 5 years.
I'll take both depending on the price.
Please run a test on them before sending them to me. I'd hate to have them shipped up here and then find out that they don't work.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu May 29, 2014 3:24 pm

Reflectivity wrote:
MonMotha wrote:Do you want one or both? ...And let me find them before I commit to selling them. I think I know where they are, but they haven't seen the light of day in probably 5 years.
Please run a test on them before sending them to me. I'd hate to have them shipped up here and then find out that they don't work.
I just noticed you're in Ontario... Shipping these will not be cheap. They're quite bulky due to the stiff foam inserts. I may still have the original boxes.
A normality test:
+++ATH

Reflectivity
Standard
Standard

Post by Reflectivity » Thu May 29, 2014 5:02 pm

MonMotha wrote:
Reflectivity wrote:
I just noticed you're in Ontario... Shipping these will not be cheap. They're quite bulky due to the stiff foam inserts. I may still have the original boxes.
Can you give me an estimate?