Welp, I bought a cabinet

Moderator: Moderators

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Re: Welp, I bought a cabinet

Post by Riot » Fri Jan 16, 2015 5:05 pm

Man I need a bunch of those screws. I still have a mishmash of crap I had to get from the hardware store just to get the machine up and running a few years back. They jut out too much from the base of the pad still.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Sat Jan 17, 2015 11:30 am

Riot wrote:Man I need a bunch of those screws. I still have a mishmash of crap I had to get from the hardware store just to get the machine up and running a few years back. They jut out too much from the base of the pad still.
Have your kids make them in their middle school metalshop class that they have so this suggestion works this is a terrible sentence sorry teacher.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:00 pm

We don't have metal shop or anything like that anymore! When that teacher retired like 6 years ago we never replaced the class despite having a large back shop room.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Mon Jan 19, 2015 10:55 am

What do you guys do with that room now? Just let it sit empty?

Anyway, MonMotha / Ho / whoever, are these screws worth it? What is the benefit of new screws?

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:11 pm

Hopefully you won't need Brandon to come and be stronger than you just to get screws out ever again.
Brian had a great post here but I screwed up and edited it. [Fluffy]

---

Let's see if I can fix this... We obviously have at least that one sentence immortalized. :P

I believe what I said was that I would get the screws from Anthony over other sources because I trust that he knows what the hell he's doing. The price he's charging seems reasonable.

The benefits of new screws are that they either aren't busted or aren't missing. Hopefully you won't need Brandon to come and be stronger than you just to get screws out ever again.

If you are getting new screws, you could also opt to get the flat Pump-style heads rather than the domed DDR-style heads. Some people prefer those. I may prefer those, but I try to keep my machines as close to factory-original as I can. That means flat for Pump and domed for DDR regardless of what my personal preference may be. Part of that is a preservationist attitude and the other part is wanting to keep things close to what I'm likely to find "in the wild" so that I don't play crappy in public because I'm used to a very specific/different setup at home.

The reality of my situation in this particular case, however, is that I haven't replaced the stage screws on either my Pump or DDR machine. Pump was bought new, so there was no need to replace. The screws on DDR were good enough and present when I got the machine. Only a couple are a little bit iffy. But I've been very careful with them and made sure to always use the correct tools, so I haven't had any issues that required me to replace any of them.

I have replaced a few non-visible screws on the machine with parts that I've gotten at local hardware stores. Since they were not visible, it didn't matter as much to me what they looked like as long as they were the correct size and function for where they went. These are pretty "specialty" parts when sourced locally (no doubt due much in part to them being metric), so I probably paid a premium price for them. But it was generally less than half a dozen of any particular type, so it was a convenient alternative to trying to source more original parts.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:04 pm

Is that a quote from this thread?

Brandon works smarter, not harder. I AIN'T SAYING I AIN'T A PUSSY BITCH THOUGH

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:11 pm

Oops! I accidentally edited Ho's post... Err.... let's see if I can fix this. I think I've made this mistake before. If I accidentally click Edit instead of Quote, the resulting screen is very similar, minus [quote][/quote].

Edit: Man oh man. I dun f'd it up.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:22 pm

Chad is a bad mod.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:30 pm

I'm switching to the 'new' theme to make sure this doesn't happen again. My penance is unacceptable. See you in hell. :evil:

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:39 pm

I fixed the original post. I'm sure the wording isn't exactly the same except for the exact quote that was preserved, but I think I covered everything I had originally. I even took the opportunity to add some additional details.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:52 pm

BTW, in case it helps you looking for info on them...

The "domed" head style used on DDR is a "Truss Head" style screw. The "flat" profile used on PIU is a "Cap" screw, albeit pretty low profile. A button head is also pretty darn close, especially if you can find one without much round-off.

Note that "flat" head screws also exist, but they are different as they are intended to be installed into a countersink so that the top of the head of the screw rests flush with the surface.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:58 pm

Ho wrote:Hopefully you won't need Brandon to come and be stronger than you just to get screws out ever again.
Surprisingly little strength was involved. I'm not even sure if I used the impact gun on it in the end. I think I just used a plain ol' #3 screwdriver. Mostly I just cleaned out the screw head so that the screwdriver could get proper engagement. And by "I cleaned" I mean "I told Merk to clean and made sure he did it".
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:17 pm

MonMotha wrote:
Ho wrote:Hopefully you won't need Brandon to come and be stronger than you just to get screws out ever again.
Surprisingly little strength was involved. I'm not even sure if I used the impact gun on it in the end. I think I just used a plain ol' #3 screwdriver. Mostly I just cleaned out the screw head so that the screwdriver could get proper engagement. And by "I cleaned" I mean "I told Merk to clean and made sure he did it".
Ok. I will amend my statement:
Hopefully you won't need Brandon to come and be smarter than you just to get screws out ever again. ;)
There are much better things for Brandon to be smarter than both of us than simply removing screws.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:24 pm

MonMotha wrote:BTW, in case it helps you looking for info on them...

The "domed" head style used on DDR is a "Truss Head" style screw. The "flat" profile used on PIU is a "Cap" screw, albeit pretty low profile. A button head is also pretty darn close, especially if you can find one without much round-off.

Note that "flat" head screws also exist, but they are different as they are intended to be installed into a countersink so that the top of the head of the screw rests flush with the surface.
Thanks for the real terms. I'm sure that would be helpful if one wanted to attempt to source these personally. But, again, I would just go with what Anthony has. He's done that work already and I trust him to do a good job of it.

As for countersinking, I've actually known people to do that to their DDR stages. I personally dislike this even more than just replacing the screws with cap screws as it not only changes the factory spec but requires a permanent modification to the machine (drilling the brackets for countersinking).

But I guess I understand the desire. Andamiro seemed to think it was a good enough idea enough to not only countersink the screws but actually remove the brackets altogether on their current stage design.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:43 am

Hypothetically, if I were to move my machines out of Chad's house and into a home of my own, what would be the best way to go out that? My initial assumption is that I'm going to need some sort of vehicle with a liftgate. How has everyone here moved their machines around in the past? How likely is it that something is going to break horribly on my machines in the process of getting them moved?