Welp, I bought a cabinet

Moderator: Moderators

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Welp, I bought a cabinet

Post by Ho » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:11 am

http://www.harborfreight.com

It's a store that has lots of cheap tools and supplies. They're often not the greatest quality, but they will generally get the job done. And especially if you're only planning to do said job once, they're a good place to check for a good deal on whatever it is you need.

They have three locations here in Indy and one in Plainfield.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:54 am

Harbor Freight is pretty much the go-to place for semi-disposable tools that are cheap and often low quality but good enough to get the job done once or twice.

For example, I needed a flooring nailer to install some hardwood floor in my new place. I could have rented one for almost $50-75/day and been under time pressure to complete it, liable for damage to it, etc. Instead, I just went and bought one at Harbor Freight for $120 by stacking some coupons and advertised specials (they usually let you do this to some degree, and they'll let you scan in a bunch of crap and have it work out the best "allowed" deal). It was less than renting for three days, allowing me to take my time, and it got the job done no problem.

Almost all my moving equipment (blankets, tie-downs, dollies, hand trucks, etc.) is from Harbor Freight. I mean, really, how often do you move? It's not like I'm a professional mover. I certainly don't want to be!

They're also great for little geegaw-y type tools. I'm pretty sure my "helping hands" are from there.

Believe it or not, they also offer a "lifetime" warranty on their Pittsburgh brand hand tools, but don't kid yourself into thinking they're even up to the quality standards of Craftsman let alone something like Mac or Snap-On. I've never heard of anybody having a problem claiming the warranty, at least.

Just don't buy anything with a battery or electric motor from them if you plan to rely on it. You will not be happy.

And yeah, I think ALL those tie-downs are from Harbor Freight, not just most of them.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Tue Aug 04, 2015 10:33 am

I see. Well you learn something new everyday!

Speaking of which, is it safe to assume that the box truck with a liftgate that I'll be renting will have like, little loops or hooks that I can actually tie these tie-downs to? I can wrap a shit load of tie downs to a cabinet but obviously if they aren't tied down to a part of the truck then they won't do me much good.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Aug 04, 2015 3:48 pm

Every truck I've rented has had a rail along the sides that you can tie things down to.

Do note that, if you haven't already reserved it, you should get the truck reserved soon. They don't usually "run out", but the more esoteric trucks, like the ones with lift gates, usually have to be brought to your local rental depot from a main lot in the city. Also note that, at least with Penske, the only truck with a lift gate you'll find is going to be pretty damn big.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Aug 04, 2015 4:44 pm

Hell yeah, I reserved a 16' box truck with a lift gate from Enterprise yesterday and called their office today and confirmed that my reservation is in place and that the truck will be ready for me on Saturday morning. Unfortunately the Enterprise is at 38th and Shadeland so I gotta dip into the hood.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Aug 04, 2015 7:48 pm

Handy that they have smaller trucks with lift gates. Your only option with Penske is a monstrous 26 footer. Hopefully the lift gate on that "puny" 16 footer is decent. I was quite happy with the one on the Penske I used recently.
A normality test:
+++ATH

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Aug 05, 2015 8:37 am

I remember when my Pump It Up was delivered and the driver's truck was in the shop, so *he* was in a rental. I want to say he was in a Ryder, but I can't remember for sure now. But it was a smaller 16' box truck with a lift gate. I felt really bad for him because that lift gate was pretty crap. It wasn't level and had so much flex/give in it that it looked like it might collapse from just the weight of the machine. He literally had to hold the machine on the lift while lowering just to make sure that it wasn't going to fall off.

Meanwhile, the lift gate that Brandon had on the truck he rented last month seemed the same as what I'm used to seeing on the full-size semi trucks that usually deliver games to my house. What a beast! We certainly put it through its paces that day.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:45 am

Thank you, MonMotha, for the tie-downs. The machines got moved successfully and nothing as far as I can tell has been horribly broken. I have not turned the games on yet, that's tonight's project, but nothing is cosmetically damaged and the machines stayed in one place while in the truck.

The lift gate helped immensely and I would not have wanted to move these machines without one. There were no problems with the lift gate itself other than needing to go out into the street to tuck the lift gate back into the truck due to the incline of my driveway.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Aug 11, 2015 7:36 am

Games have been moved and are all in good working order! DDR didn't do it's weird monitor freak out that it usually does so maybe I knocked something into place during the move!

Here's a piccy of my dinky little arcade

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Aug 11, 2015 8:26 am

Must... name... arcade...

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Tue Aug 11, 2015 2:57 pm

I liked Casa Rotundo and Minchin Mansion but I guess those don't necessarily have to do with arcades and more about funny Merkisms.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Aug 11, 2015 3:20 pm

To be fair the only arcade nickname that really works and is probably the most creative thing I've ever come up with is "Bemani Bordello." It's such a fitting moniker.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed Aug 12, 2015 3:46 pm

There's frequently a Ho in mine. While I'll happily visit yours sometimes, WILL THERE BE HOs ON A REGULAR ENOUGH BASIS FOR IT TO BE A BORDELLO?

I just want to keep you clear of false advertising claims. I have your best interests at heart.

Diamondback1996
Standard
Standard

Post by Diamondback1996 » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:25 pm

dat bootleg IIDX

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Aug 18, 2015 3:58 pm

Hell yeah BEET BEET