DDR Arcade System Unit

Moderator: Moderators

DarkSaiyan
Beginner
Beginner

DDR Arcade System Unit

Post by DarkSaiyan » Mon Oct 07, 2013 9:28 pm

Hey guys! I'm new to this forum as well as a new DDR Arcade machine owner. Finally picked one up a few weeks ago and I'm currently in the process of refurbishing it to new status. Only problem is, I got my machine on the cheap knowing that the system unit was fried and thus not included. Anyone know where I can source one of these for a reasonable price? I'm not picky as to what mix it would be, though ideally Extreme.

Also I've been looking through Channelbeat and planning on making a large order through them. Has anyone here ordered from them before and have feedback? Any help is appreciated. Thanks!

Fluffyumpkins

Re: DDR Arcade System Unit

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Oct 07, 2013 10:16 pm

Welcome to IndyDDR. We have a few veterans in-house that have more experience in buying these sorts of things than I do. Merk, didn't you have an extra one at my place you might want to sell? I remember we had some trouble getting Extreme on it though.

Always bet DBZ.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Oct 08, 2013 3:49 am

In general, watch eBay and Bemani/music gaming related forums. They typically go for $200-400 fully working. You can sometimes catch them closer to $100-150 if somebody is having a fire sale. Don't expect to get a working one for much less, and be prepared for people asking far more (fully unaware that they aren't likely to get it any time soon), especially on eBay. FYI, it's called a "System 573", but the Bemani ones are special. Get one that's running DDR already unless you want to do a bit of reading to try to piece one together yourself.

They're pretty self contained units, but make sure it comes with the 32MB flash card. The system is totally useless (for DDR) without it, and it can be externally removed. Everything else is securely bolted inside the box and is unlikely to be removed for sale aside from potentially the security cartridge, if it even had one (see below regarding bootlegs - many don't have one at all). In general, if it's advertised as working and complete, it should come with everything you need. Artwork and whatnot is generally sold separately, these days, and very often goes for more than the game hardware if legitimate.

Be aware that the vast, vast majority of them are bootlegs. They usually work fine, but if absolute authenticity is important to you, be prepared to shell out a LOT more for a legit one, especially with the artwork. Chances are you've probably never played a legitimate machine newer than 5th Mix unless it was in Japan, so don't get too concerned. The bootlegs do usually have very low quality artwork, if you're getting any at all, and a few Extreme bootlegs had a bug that would prevent you from being able to get to the "secret" menu to put in the unlock codes.

Also be aware that the NVRAM/RTC batteries are all starting to die. This means it won't remember its settings, including the unlock codes, the time (for bookkeeping), bookkeeping data, or high scores and will need to have the test button pressed upon every startup. It doesn't negatively affect anything else. These can be replaced, though it's a bit difficult since Konami was nice enough to solder them in rather than putting them in a handy socket.

The CD-ROM drives are also all either dying or dead. Many many people have replaced them. If the drive is a recent-ish replacement and the system boots, all is well. If it's an original, be prepared to replace it, and not all drives will work (though there's enough known-working models now that it's usually not too hard to find a compatible one at a reasonable price).
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

DarkSaiyan
Beginner
Beginner

Post by DarkSaiyan » Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:29 am

Thank you both so far for the awesome info. I really appreciate the time you guys take to write that stuff up. I'll start search on Ebay for one. In the meantime if anyone here has a spare working unit lying around, let me know. Thanks again!

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:13 pm

If you can't find one I know that Fluffyumpkins and I have an extra one that I'd be willing to sell for cheap as long as you can cover shipping. I'll sell it super cheap because you will need the following:

* 32MB NVRAM disk - I bought one for $60 back in 2012. A cursory search on eBay did *not* bring up a card similar to the one I bought so you may need to put some effort into finding one. As MonMotha says though it looks like it's not necessary to play the game however I was always under the impression that it was necessary to install the game. MonMotha is pretty much the guy to talk to when it comes to Bemani shit so his word trumps mine.

You also may need the following:

* CD-Rom drive - This can be bought for like $20. I believe this model is compatible http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lite-On-DVD-ROM ... 3a8294738e but I would have to double-check. I tried to install Extreme on my system using this CD-ROM and it did not work however I can't confirm if it's because the CD of Extreme that I had was fucked up or if the CD-ROM was bad. Most likely the CD was bad.

If I can confirm that the CD-Drive that I have installed on the system that I'd be willing to sell I'll include it with the system for more or less the selling price of the drive on eBay.

Anyway the arcade system for DDR machines is called a "573" system so if you're browsing forums for info on DDR arcade systems you'll find the info you need searching "573 JAMMA" or something similar.

Diamondback1996
Standard
Standard

Post by Diamondback1996 » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:24 pm

Keep in mind that past EXTREME, the system used is Python, which is PS2-based rather than PS1-based. It is only compatible with SN1 and SN2. Starting with X a PC-based system is used.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:40 pm

God DAMN IT Hooky the only mix you need is Extreme!

Extreme!!!!!!

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Oct 15, 2013 12:31 am

The 32MB flash card is required for DDR 3rd Mix and later. The game will not run without it since most of the graphics are on it. Any working "DDR" System 573 will come with one since, well, it's required for DDR.

If you do want newer stuff, you can try to find a Python 2. They're a bit finicky (not that 573s aren't), and you'll basically be stuck with whatever comes on it. You (probably) will not find a real DDRX/X2/X3 PC in the USA, and if you do find one, it's probably from a gutted Betson DDRX/X2 cabinet and running the US build with broken-ish timing.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Oct 15, 2013 7:15 am

Yeah God damn it I shouldn't try to work and read/posts threads because I am really bad at it :(

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Oct 21, 2013 2:49 pm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251362656651?ss ... K:MEWAX:IT

Who knows if it works, but from the (awful) picture, it looks like its probably complete, and that's a reasonable price.
A normality test:
+++ATH