Just got my cabinet aswell! problems though =[

Moderator: Moderators

JzN
Standard
Standard

Just got my cabinet aswell! problems though =[

Post by JzN » Mon Apr 15, 2013 10:50 pm

So DDR arcade owners, i've joined the ranks!

From my next to nothing knowledge and a few google searches and forum readings later i have learned my cab is:

Korean Cabinet
DDR 3rd mix upgraded to 7th Mix and is bootleg.

First of all, just to get it right, the orginal 573 Digital board has the extra mod on it, making a bootleg copy?

The security Cart (blue thingy) was DDR 3rd Mix then a replacedment sticker was put on top with DDR 7th Mix. (again assuming this is bootleg).

When i boot up the machine, the system checks itself and comes up with:

booting v 1.95 and the internal checks are all ok except for 31J which is displayed as:

31J - BAD

and then the next screen says:

Error 189. Unknown Cabinet, check operators manual.

I checked the operators manual and it said to contact a technitian, which in turn i have googled again and found that the 189 error could be related to the dance pads not being connect (in which they weren't). When i get home tonight, im going to connect the pads and see if it boots up.

My question is related to if my system doesnt bootup, how would i know what is wrong and whether or not it can be fixed?

I found an 8th MIX, game with CD, Securtiy cart, flash card and pcb, which was tested and worked on another machine. Would a straight swap of the whole PCB make my machine work?

**is the thing that houses the the game, security cart and flash called the pcb or is called "a pcb" because the other unit above it, seemes to house the audio cards (?) can you confirm this?

I'm going to take some picture and upload later tonight. Any thought or comments would be much appreciated.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Re: Just got my cabinet aswell! problems though =[

Post by MonMotha » Tue Apr 16, 2013 10:50 am

Yes, you have a bootleg. They're very common; in fact bootlegs of 4th-Extreme are far more common in the USA than legit systems. Depending on which bootleg you ended up with, there may be little quirks, but they usually work OK.

31J being bad is probably due to it being a bootleg. If it goes on and tries to boot anyway, it's clearly being ignored (which a legit one won't do), and you can probably pay it no mind.

Error 189 is indeed "I can't talk to the stage IO board". Hook up the stage, and it should continue booting.

As for upgrading, how you do so depends on your kit. Legit kits (which you probably don't have) are different than bootlegs, and there are several styles of bootleg. If you did somehow end up with a legit copy of Extreme, it's useless to you as they are keyed to the system they were installed on. Bootlegs can normally be coaxed into re-installing themselves just fine. Typically, open 'er up (requires temporarily removing the flash card to open the case), swap out the "mod board", power on, put in the new CD, and watch it install. If you're unlucky, it's a two-disc bootleg, and you probably don't have the installer, in which case you will not be running that copy of Extreme today. You shouldn't need the new flash card, though you can swap it out if you like (note: it goes in slot 2, not 1). The installation process will put the appropriate data on the flash card.

If by "pcb" you mean you have an entire System 573 running Extreme, then yeah, you can just swap the whole box out. It should be about 6 connections (JAMMA, 4 connectors for lights and such, and stereo RCA audio). Note that some of the connectors can physically be plugged into the wrong place. It won't break anything, but it won't work right, either. They're color coded or labeled, so look carefully before you disassemble your existing setup.

The general agreed-upon term for the System 573 "box" seems to be "system unit". It's actually got several "PCBs" in it, some of which are field-replaceable, as well as a CD-ROM drive, also field replaceable, so it's handy to have a distinct term for the whole unit rather than the individual pieces.

There's also another box-of-boards that houses a couple of amps and an audio mixer board. Those rarely need anything done to them. I usually call it "the amp box" since again it actually contains several boards which can be usefully replaced individually. I guess a "PCB set" might also work and be more "old time arcade tech" friendly.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

JzN
Standard
Standard

Post by JzN » Tue Apr 16, 2013 7:13 pm

Thanks MonMotha for the hasty reply and detailed information.

I'll be gining a longer response since i'm trying to give you all the details i can.

I have since pulled apart most of the machine to test all the circuits and wires from the pads and can say there is much work to be done...

The pads are missing the some light inverters, which i can source myself online. The Player1 up arrow was replaced with an aftermarket piece of perspex which is thinner than the rest and it seems someones foot had smashed its way through breaking the lights and inverter. i'll be buying the pads, globes and inverters but im scared if the pads turn out to be the thinner ones. Are there any trusted sites for the better quality pads that post to Australia? I couldnt test the pads since i can't get the game to run yet. This is the easy stuff to fix although...

I checked each connection with the pads i/o board (GN845-pwb(b)) and it seems the player 1 up arrow (cn2) channel is not working and the player 2 left arrow channel is not working. I've searched the net for spare (GN845-pwb(b)) boards, but i can't find anything. Are you able to help source where these come from or if anything, is anyone hoarding a whole heap of these that i can buy?

I also noticed a problem with the loom/cable from the cabinet that powers the player1 and player 2 pads. When i plug in player1 with loom/cable (a), and player2 with loom/cable (b), player1 lights turn on but player 2 doesn't. Alternating, when player1 is using cable (b) and player 2 is using cable (a), only player2 lights turn on.

Could the cable be faulty or could this be a game system problem or power supply problem. It seems to me the wiring on the pads seem fine, its from the cabinet end.

The monitor is good and have no idea about the speakers yet, although i'm guessing if the speakers don't work, i'llbe able to hook up my 5.1 system myself.

Is it possible for myself to fix the 7th mix with it's current problems by re-installing? it seems when i pluged the pads back in, i now get a Error 132 Cassette error.

Having googled this, it apparently happens alot with bootleg versions although none gave a detailed fix. Also, i'm aware of forum rules and you can't directly post links or references to these copies. I have read you can obtain these from the usual places but i don't know where the usual places are or if there are guides to do so. if anyone was to drop me a pm *wink wink*...

I'm considering buying the whole game unit of extreme 8 to plug and play into my cab. if just afraid if i spend all this money and cant get my pads to work, from being unable to obtain the GN845 pwb(b) part, it may all be for nil...

Thanks

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:12 pm

JzN wrote: The pads are missing the some light inverters, which i can source myself online. The Player1 up arrow was replaced with an aftermarket piece of perspex which is thinner than the rest and it seems someones foot had smashed its way through breaking the lights and inverter. i'll be buying the pads, globes and inverters but im scared if the pads turn out to be the thinner ones. Are there any trusted sites for the better quality pads that post to Australia? I couldnt test the pads since i can't get the game to run yet. This is the easy stuff to fix although...
I have some from Uniarcade in China. They are about as thick as the originals, but the material is not quite the same. I suspect they're polycarbonate ("Plexiglass" aka "Perspex") while the originals appear to be Lexan (stronger but more easily scratched). They creak a bit but have held up fine for home use. The silkscreen printing on the bottom is easily scratched and much thinner than the OEM parts, so be careful when installing. This isn't a problem once installed.

Do not buy Uniarcade's sensors. They're crap.
JzN wrote: I checked each connection with the pads i/o board (GN845-pwb(b)) and it seems the player 1 up arrow (cn2) channel is not working and the player 2 left arrow channel is not working. I've searched the net for spare (GN845-pwb(b)) boards, but i can't find anything. Are you able to help source where these come from or if anything, is anyone hoarding a whole heap of these that i can buy?
If indeed the board is bad, you're kinda SOL. They're essentially impossible to get hold of at any reasonable cost. There are some hacked versions (bootlegs) of the games floating around that don't check for it at all, and it's possible to do some wire harness hackery to make them unnecessary from an input POV (test mode will just show all sensors on or off).
JzN wrote: I also noticed a problem with the loom/cable from the cabinet that powers the player1 and player 2 pads. When i plug in player1 with loom/cable (a), and player2 with loom/cable (b), player1 lights turn on but player 2 doesn't. Alternating, when player1 is using cable (b) and player 2 is using cable (a), only player2 lights turn on.

Could the cable be faulty or could this be a game system problem or power supply problem. It seems to me the wiring on the pads seem fine, its from the cabinet end.
I'd check the wiring end-to-end. Meter it out. There should be three cables going through the stage umbilical: two are signals (inputs/lights), one for each side, and one is power for both sides.
JzN wrote: Is it possible for myself to fix the 7th mix with it's current problems by re-installing? it seems when i pluged the pads back in, i now get a Error 132 Cassette error.
Your bootleg is apparently not sufficiently bootleg. Unfortunately, they're all different. Make sure the security cart ("cassette") is firmly installed. Even though it's a bootleg, it'll still often require a cart to be present; it can just be any old cart.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.

JzN
Standard
Standard

Post by JzN » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:32 am

You are king my friend!

although it's s***ting me up the wall that i can't find a GN845 pwb (b) board.

When you say any reasonable price... bah, if you find one keep me in mind. i'll want to pay for it.

Thanks so much, for the hasty replies. im going to pull it apart more and check the rest.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Wed Apr 17, 2013 12:34 am

Check the wiring and connectors very carefully. Also test the sensors individually. You can test them with a multimeter. They just act like switches.

The boards rarely go bad (but it's not unheard of - usually due to liquid entry). You may be able to repair the board if indeed it has been corroded or similar.
A normality test:
+++ATH

JzN
Standard
Standard

Post by JzN » Thu Apr 18, 2013 2:37 am

Well i just tested the sensors and a few are fried...

I heard uni arcade sensors are poo. where should i get sensors from?

I've seen them from :

$10 AUD - Black
http://www.arcadespareparts.com/arcade_ ... 12091.html

and

$15 - Green
http://www.highway.net.au/arcade-parts/ ... 690-1.html

and

$21AUD - Black
http://www.highway.net.au/arcade-parts/ ... 356-1.html

But i think they are the same conpamy group...

anyone have any other suggestions?

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:21 am

I don't know about international shipping, but here's what I got.

Yes, the deal is expired, but they were willing to give me the discount anyway as long as I bought a bunch (which was a full set for me.) You can try your luck.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Apr 18, 2013 12:53 pm

The Betson ones are the best option I've found. They work quite well. In the US, they ended up not being much more expensive than the ones from Uniarcade once you factored in shipping and the absurd payment processing fees, but I dunno about buying from .au.
A normality test:
+++ATH

JzN
Standard
Standard

Post by JzN » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:01 am

So i swapped out the 7th mix (which wasn't working) and put in the complete new 8th Mix in.
At onboard check ....
CDR .... BAD!!!

Peeved me off, but luckily i switched the cdRom drive from 7th mix to the 8th mix and it booted up.

It passed all the checks and booted the game up!
WOO HOO!

Better yet, the dance pad i/o boards work perfectly fine. I did find however it was the wiring loom from the dance pad to the cabinet that is a bit dodgy. When i touch it, the lights flicker on the pads. I played a game to check the sensors and then relizeds i can go to the test screen. All the sensors work but some are nearing it's life.

I'm going to give to them then a clean today and sproose up the cab. Funnily enough the neons on the bass all work too.

I just need to replace a few foot panels and maybe a few sensors (which i have ordered from uniarcade and the sensors from arcade spare parts) and she'll be in her prime again!

Will a new loom fix the wiring problem and it that loom connected to the jamma harness? i justordered in a new jamma harness hoping that it will replace the wires to the dance pad.

fyi all up now i've spent:

$600 on the cab (with broken 7th mix (apparently 100-350 dollars to fix)
$500 for DDR 8th Mix
$155 for 16 sensors
$10 for 2 blue foot panel lights
$10 for 2 pink foot panel lights
$10 for 2 light inverters
$150 for 4 pink and 4 blue foot panels.
$20 jamma harness
Total: $1455

Not too bad for for AUS i suppose...

Also do you know what size screws go to lock in the pads together. mine seem to be all missing.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:38 am

http://www.indyddr.com/forums/viewtopic ... lit=screws

There was some talk about this in another 'hey I bought a cab!' thread.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:02 pm

JzN wrote:Also do you know what size screws go to lock in the pads together. mine seem to be all missing.
I think they're M8, but they may be M10. Length is not particularly critical as it just needs to go through the tie bracket and get decent engagement on the stage structure. Probably 10-15mm is about right. Should be the same on Japanese and Korean designs as the stages are mechanically identical afaik.
A normality test:
+++ATH

asuka_izan
Beginner
Beginner

Post by asuka_izan » Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:38 pm

Hi i'm new in this community, i have a request, i own a cabinet of DDR but have 8th mix and i would like to have the other mixes, i'm from Mexico City (don't hate me >.<) so that's a problem because Konami doesn't have support here and i tried to bought them on eBay and amazon but they don't send to my country and i only find the 4th mix so i'm trying get the older versions because someone told me that the system reads copy so i'm asking if someone can help me to get the ISO's because i wanted to have this arcade for my use and now it0s really hard to find the games, thanks i hope don't bother (sorry if my english it's really bad)