Looking for arcade games for sale

Moderator: Moderators

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Re: Looking for arcade games for sale

Post by MonMotha » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:57 pm

Honestly, unless you need nearly a whole machine worth of parts, that PIU isn't worth the $500. No pictures of it running (though it's claimed working), no info on what version it is (marquee is laid down), marquee has a speaker torn off of it, one of the stage bars is missing, front plexi is very scratched, stage wiring is obviously hacked on and looks incomplete, coin doors are incomplete and not original, etc. I mean, yeah, it's a machine for $500, but it's frankly a pile of junk.

The DDR is in a bit better shape. Looks to be about everything I'd expect for a sub-$1000 DDR machine, which isn't much. A lot of normal wear and tear like faded decals, but it otherwise looks like a pretty complete Korean cabinet. The monitor may be sick. I can't tell if it's actually that dim or if it's just the picture due to very bright ambient lighting.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Sep 12, 2012 3:20 pm

The quality is certainly dubious, but the price is pretty low. Riot and Merk expressed some interest in a DDR cabinet, so I thought I'd share some coming up at low prices. Obviously cheaper machines will be more likely to be worse for wear, but a might not be too bad for someone who wants to play Stepmania and doesn't care about top condition.

Obviously you have a pretty good eye for what might be an issue with a machine, and I expect that anybody seriously considering a purchase apply the same amount of scrutiny.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Fri Nov 16, 2012 11:23 am

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:12 pm

Coin door is hacked to hell of course. You'd have to replace it if you wanted to take money since there's NO COIN SLOT LEFT. If you don't care, you could just put a plate behind the giant hole somebody cut in it.
Card readers appear to be non-functional, but it could be that they're just not plugged in.

Not bad if indeed it's legit. The marquee at least appears to be real from the picture.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Merk
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:45 pm

Riot, jump on it, we'll help you move it and make it functional.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Fri Nov 16, 2012 5:19 pm

It's too big of a purchase to "jump on." The main problem is Meg would get mad that I constantly buy expensive things while squelching her trips, so if I decide to go on some trip I really feel uncomfortable about and then try to get something like this I'd be out even more dollaz. The second issue is where would I put this thing... the only possible location would be either the guest room or the office room... I mean you could move the office stuff to the storage room upstairs I GUESS. Meg likely wouldn't really use the machine, so it'd just be me and maybe a few people if they ever come over. If it broke I wouldn't really know how to fix it since I know about software a little bit but not anything about arcade hardware... I am the anti-handyman. Plus it'll ruin the carpet!

But it is tempting. What's all this about it being a "real" machine... what's the difference? If I did get one I'd probably want some kind of custom firmware that lets me have every single song ever or something. And who cares about the marquee, is it just that it's an original one? Doesn't seem like those matter much at all but that just might be me. And again, why would I care about coin slot if I wouldn't ever have set to accept coins?

I also feel like $1500 is deceiving... seems like the majority of the cost will be in shipping/set up/additional parts if it needs any. How much would it cost to ship a DDR machine from that location? I'm honestly not even sure how I'd get it all in the house and through normal bedroom-sized doors.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Sat Nov 17, 2012 2:27 pm

I can at least tell you that moving it through doors is easy. Kevin and I (mostly Kevin) moved mine without difficulty. I know it looks big, but once you measure it out you'll find that it doesn't take as much space as you might think. It will roll right through a standard door frame.

Merk

Post by Merk » Mon Nov 19, 2012 4:57 pm

Shipping will probably be around 5 hundo

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:00 pm

Still a bit early. Still keeping my eye on them though! Keep posting cheapish, seemingly good quality ones if you see em'!

I'd ideally like to be able to buy something from a local Indiana arcade going out of business like Great Xscape or something but that probably won't happen.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Nov 20, 2012 3:44 pm

Riot wrote:Still a bit early. Still keeping my eye on them though! Keep posting cheapish, seemingly good quality ones if you see em'!

I'd ideally like to be able to buy something from a local Indiana arcade going out of business like Great Xscape or something but that probably won't happen.
What's the benefit in doing that?

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:00 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:
Riot wrote:Still a bit early. Still keeping my eye on them though! Keep posting cheapish, seemingly good quality ones if you see em'!

What's the benefit in doing that?
I dunno, I can test it, cheaper to ship probably, could pick it up easier if I borrow Meg's dad's truck (if it would fit anyways).

Merk

Post by Merk » Tue Nov 20, 2012 4:56 pm

It's harder to find a good deal in Indiana on a machine that an arcade owner is trying to sell. Chad of course is the exception and I'm not sure how much Brian paid for his (I think he got his from Michigan anyway) but I'm positive it was more than anything you'd find on eBay. GXS wouldn't sell their machine for anything less than $6,000 I would imagine and that's being generous - I believe Daniel is looking to sell to other arcades with more disposable income than a private collector which is why his prices for his machines are a little on the high end.

Any machine can be fixed with a little bit of elbow grease and the right parts; lights, speakers, and sensors are all easy to fix. The big thing you need to be concerned about is the state of the monitor since that is a huge pain in the ass to fix.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:13 pm

http://item.mobileweb.ebay.com/viewitem ... 3399869403

I bid on that for 800 but I'm sure it'll go up. It's pretty close and he'd deliver so that's col. Can you guys tell anything from pics/descriptions? I don't exactly know what the deal is with his other auction that looks seemingly the same except title says korean but its going for 2500+.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Nov 20, 2012 5:56 pm

Looks like he's selling the same thing in two different auctions. Not sure there. Maybe he's trying to see what goes higher, a traditional auction style or a Buy It Now/Best Offer. This isn't how it should be done...but, whatever.

At any rate, it definitely looks like a Korean cabinet. Personally, I wouldn't want a Korean cabinet. The build quality is much poorer overall.