The Death of DDR

Moderator: Moderators

Hoody2006
Standard
Standard

The Death of DDR

Post by Hoody2006 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:32 pm

does anyone know why Konami is done and if not why do you think they stopped.
if it doesnt matter who wins or loses then why do they keep score
-Vince Lombardi-

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:40 pm

The fact that the US has all of the arcades that used to be in Japan may have something to do with it, but that's due to the fact that DDR isn't very popular in Japan anymore (so I'm told). Konami of America does not have an arcade division anymore, so they won't be releasing any new arcade versions, and Konami of Japan won't be making anymore since they can't legally sell theirs in the US due to licensing issues and we'd all just pirate it anyway.

Notice there are still home versions being made (Extreme US, whatever you think of it, isn't that old) in the US and some over in Japan too, mostly to cater to the people who just play it occasionally for fun I'm guessing. The European market will supposedly see a new Dancing Stage title soon, though it appears to be a port from CS to AC, rather than the other way around.

It's also very expensive to make an arcade version of DDR in the US. Licensing songs in the US is apparently much more expensive than in Japan due to the differences in copyright law, and most song owners will probably want more money for a big arcade project than to license a one time sale to a home market.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:09 pm

pshh Come on MonMotha, hes jus trying to be a post whore. This shit has been discussed in a few other topics, this should jus be locked.

Hoody, if your going to post whore at least be creative with it. You suck gal.

Juwi bean
Standard
Standard

Post by Juwi bean » Tue Mar 15, 2005 10:20 am

Hoody's a girl?! Holy crap. Go DDR girls!

Yeah, I totally didn't know that, but then again...who thought "DancingQueenIU" (or whatever) would be a guy...wtf?
i am cute. my panda's bigger than your panda.
Avon Otaku

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:50 pm

I just gotta say that Juli's current avatar is friggin cute. Fat rat!

I'm imagining a DDR revival sometime in the next couple years. Konami continues to churn out new mixes of IIDX, Pop'N, GF, and DM. Eventually, they'll notice the popularity of ITG, and they'll realize that Andamiro is still having success with Pump it Up, and they'll think "Hey, we should make a new mix of DDR!" I bet Take and Yasu are sad pandas right now.

Dyme
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Dyme » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:37 pm

OrangeLounger wrote:I bet Take and Yasu are sad pandas right now.
lmao. but yeah. i think ddr is really going downhill. there are too many noobs playing. up where i play, its infested with noobs
Team KIMO represent!

TaQa
Standard
Standard

Post by TaQa » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:42 pm

Hobo wrote:i think ddr is really going downhill. there are too many noobs playing. up where i play, its infested with noobs
Wait...wait...

More new people are joining so its going downhill?

I think its great that more new people are joining. I remember being new, it was awesome.

CgSquall
Standard
Standard

Post by CgSquall » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:25 pm

I actually agree with TaQa, more new people is a good thing, the only negative is within every so many people you're bound to get an asshole in there, but oh well. And yeah, Konami of Japan just can't really afford to make new Arcade mixes when they just get pirated to America. It'd be too costly for Konami of America to get an Arcade team together to make any. And Dancing Stage will probably be pirated over here once their mixes get better than Extreme.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:52 pm

CgSquall wrote:And Dancing Stage will probably be pirated over here once their mixes get better than Extreme.
For whatever reason, the European mixes do not seem to make their way to America the way the Japanese ones do. I think this most likely because the Japanese were willing to give their machines up to anyone who would buy since popularity was declining whereas I understand Dancing Stage is still quite popular in Europe (must be if they're getting a new mix).

Although this doesn't explain why we don't see an occasional bootleg EuroMIX installed in a cabinet here. I'd say the demand for it would be relatively low due to the higher recognition of the Japanese mixes and the fact that the EuroMIXes generally duplicate much what's in the Japanese ones anyway. As a result, the bootleggers perhaps haven't bothered to expend much effort to bootleg them. However, there are some exclusive licenses in there I'd be curious to try.

Another roadblock to the new Dancing Stage (Fusion) being pirated here is the fact that it runs on different hardware. It's one thing to break copy protection and pirate software...quite another to produce hardware to run it on.

Hoody2006
Standard
Standard

Post by Hoody2006 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:59 pm

pshh Come on MonMotha, hes jus trying to be a post whore. This shit has been discussed in a few other topics, this should jus be locked.

Hoody, if your going to post whore at least be creative with it. You suck gal. Hoody's a girl?! Holy crap. Go DDR girls!

Yeah, I totally didn't know that, but then again...who thought "DancingQueenIU" (or whatever) would be a guy...wtf
ok i am a guy just to clarify its hoody because hood is my last name, but i am not being a whore Casey their is no real topic about this and i dont know why you have a problem with me, but fankly i really dont care because it seems no on really likes you on the forum
if it doesnt matter who wins or loses then why do they keep score
-Vince Lombardi-