Obligitory.. DDR etiquette

Moderator: Moderators

Yume_Taira
Standard
Standard

Post by Yume_Taira » Tue Mar 15, 2005 7:35 pm

Sadly, you are correct, Ho...that's why threads like this are made.

Mr. Worm
Standard
Standard

Post by Mr. Worm » Wed Mar 16, 2005 12:10 am

Don't alter the arcade's method of turn-taking.

Normally, we just take turns in order...no big fuss.

But, some guy will start coin-lining, and my friends and I are like "WTF?"

It's rude and impersonal.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:32 am

Well, there are times when the turn taking method changes depending on the number of people around. In Terre Haute, for example, it's common for people to just take turns if there's only a few people, and coin line if there's more than 5 or so. Also, newly arrived players frequently put a coin up to signify that they want to get "in the queue" for DDR since they need to slot themselves into the turn system.

That also brings up the subject of what seems to be commonly referred to as simply "courtesy". It's normal to let a newly arrived player play the next game without making them wait through the line. After their first game, they join whatever system is being used for turn taking. This isn't done everywhere, but it seems popular at many locations.

Oh, and in response to Ho's post: come drive in Terre Haute some time. I always enjoy driving in rush hour indy traffic on my way back from TH. There may be a lot of cars, but on the whole, people are much less stupid than they are in TH.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

O 16581 72452 5
Standard
Standard

Post by O 16581 72452 5 » Wed Mar 16, 2005 3:00 am

MonMotha wrote:Well, there are times when the turn taking method changes depending on the number of people around. In Terre Haute, for example, it's common for people to just take turns if there's only a few people, and coin line if there's more than 5 or so. Also, newly arrived players frequently put a coin up to signify that they want to get "in the queue" for DDR since they need to slot themselves into the turn system.

That also brings up the subject of what seems to be commonly referred to as simply "courtesy". It's normal to let a newly arrived player play the next game without making them wait through the line. After their first game, they join whatever system is being used for turn taking. This isn't done everywhere, but it seems popular at many locations.

Oh, and in response to Ho's post: come drive in Terre Haute some time. I always enjoy driving in rush hour indy traffic on my way back from TH. There may be a lot of cars, but on the whole, people are much less stupid than they are in TH.
Yo,

Nearly everyone in Terre Haute has now quit, give Time-Out another chance, it's not like it was. Then again, when you arrived late for the tournament, said "I'm going to get out of here away from the assholes" and after i said "There's really no assholes here" Casey walked in. :P

Check your PMs, insted of sending you another, i will tell you Lazer-X is looking to upgrade their machine to ITG. I'm meeting with the owner of the machine at noon on Thursday, i'd like you to meet us there at that time if you can.

Mosh_Mosh_Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Mosh_Mosh_Revolution » Wed Mar 16, 2005 2:17 pm

Hopefully this isn't my Fort Wayne Lazer X.

For if it is, there'll be a little slice of hell to pay for taking away the mix I started playing on. :x
No more eggs! :D
An actual signature will come soon, I suppose.

Gumby
Standard
Standard

Post by Gumby » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:09 am

CaseyDidder wrote: ill laugh at anybody who opens themselve up for it.

aka bad freestyle.
and this is why you are regarded as an asshole =P
I don't fear death; I fear not living.

O 16581 72452 5
Standard
Standard

Post by O 16581 72452 5 » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:13 am

Mosh_Mosh_Revolution wrote:Hopefully this isn't my Fort Wayne Lazer X.

For if it is, there'll be a little slice of hell to pay for taking away the mix I started playing on. :x
Yo,

No.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Mar 17, 2005 1:26 am

They'd still be getting rid of a 3rd Ver.KOREA2, which saddens me. That's the ONLY mix you can play Rose, Hogism, Starian, and a few other songs on. Too bad everyone in Terre Haute is too completely and utterly dependent on speed mods to bother even trying to play it :( Those are some REALLY good songs (especially Rose!).

I would like an ITG machine locally though. I played some of the ITG steps on StepMania this evening at club and had much fun. Any possibility of them having two machines, and maybe mix swapping on the one running DDR (though I'm not sure how easy it is to reload the korea mixes)?

BTW, what are the hours of Lazer-X? I'd love to go play some 3rd Korea, but they need to be open during the day for that to happen since I generally play around 1:00.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

The X
Standard
Standard

Post by The X » Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:25 am

I was playing DDR last week and someone threw a bottle at me before I played.

But then again, GW's filled with a bunch of haters during Spring break anyway.

My rule of DDR........wudeva the word is......:

Don't be a hater.

That, and don't insult people after they play for how "good".....or "bad" they are.

Some have played before you've even heard of it. If that's all they wanna do, so be it. Don't jump on about how you have a "life" and they don't. They do too.

And for people who don't hardly play or have hardly played, they haven't even been in it long enough to be a fanboy/girl at it. Don't hate.
This post is brought to you by BET...Because it's never too late to desecrate an ethnicity.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu Mar 24, 2005 3:38 pm

I got a bunch.

Don't ask me "How do you know when to hit the arrows?" when I'm playing. No one likes answering questions about what they're doing while they concentrate on doing it.

C'mon parents, keep your kids under control. Little guys running between the pad and the screen is annoying, but not their fault. Do your job mom and dad.

Don't lie about scores. People that lie and brag in combination with one another while picking songs can hurt themselves. "I can sdg that... I got 2 on that... Once I did bla bla bla."

If you really want to make fun of DDR players, be clever about it. Running up behind me and stomping around really fast isn't exactly witty.

If you're playing anything faster than 280 bpm, ask the other person if they mind. I know a fair amount of newbs that have trouble on faster songs.

If you are a newb and the person next to you gets the extra stage, don't just stand on the pad watching. Either try, or get off the pad and let someone else do it.

Don't play the same song over and over. Period.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Thu Mar 24, 2005 5:46 pm

Don't hold a conversation with my while I'm playing! :roll:
I have kids walk up beside me and just start asking questions.
It's really annoying.

Spazz
Standard
Standard

Post by Spazz » Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:43 pm

Original Sin wrote:Don't hold a conversation with my while I'm playing! :roll:
I have kids walk up beside me and just start asking questions.
It's really annoying.
That's why you give them the "Hand of Fate"... aka, a wild swing in the air in thier direction. :twisted:

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Mon Mar 28, 2005 12:33 pm

The X wrote:I was playing DDR last week and someone threw a bottle at me before I played.

But then again, GW's filled with a bunch of haters during Spring break anyway.
Was that the Friday I was there? If it was, musta been before I got there. I don't take kindly to objects thrown at me either.

I pretty much agree with X's and Fluffy's posts about courtesy. Parent's who let their kids just do whatever(cough TnT cough) get really annoying.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Fuzakeru
Standard
Standard

Post by Fuzakeru » Mon Mar 28, 2005 8:27 pm

I don't know if it's annoying for other players but I know when I seem someone really trying to do good on a level lower than mine I always encourage them. When I see someone who is doing better than I could I always applaud them. I just feel the need to give props to anyone who will step up on the pad and give it a shot.
Before I found the courage to step it up I would nearly piss myself worrying about how others perceived me. It wasn't until a few people told me I was doing good and progress was showing that I tried harder and stopped just playing around.
I suppose what I do is just a silly hope that I can give someone the encouragement to continue doing fantastic or to give it their all and try harder. That's not really a complaint but it's something I do that probably irritates the hell outta other people. I dunno.

As far as things that aggravate me. I can usually block everything out but when people talk about you while you are trying to play and staring at you in a I'm-better-than-you way it really makes me nervous and then I tend to screw up. I really despise people who will make nasty comments about you playing. ( Of course, I'm coming more from a I'm overweight and jumping around on a dance pad sorta way than I kinda suck at a lot of songs kinda way ).
How discouraging is it to be overweight and have to deal with that sort of torment of having people stare at you and make fun of you but when you attempt to lose the weight ( if that's what you use DDR for, although it's just a nice plus for me ) or if you are just simply trying to have a good time.

That's why I give props to ANYONE who plays DDR. I don't care if you are beginner or teh uber l337 heavy-xors R TEH ROX!, if you have the guts to get up and do something you enjoy then that automatically deserves respect in my eyes. ( This is aside from the asses that jump up there and try to break the pads . . . )

. . . damn that sounds corny. Sorry for the long rant. -.-;;

The X
Standard
Standard

Post by The X » Tue Mar 29, 2005 8:32 am

I concur. Rant on. :p

I've got another one.

If you don't play, don't be a dip and start insulting players after they play by getting on the pad and stomping around like you're going into a seizure.

It's uncalled for, it's stupid, and it shows that you're an absolute ass, making fun of people that are just trying to enjoy themselves.

And even though this has been said, time and time again, I can't stress it enough.

WATCH YOUR DAMN KIDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! kthx.
This post is brought to you by BET...Because it's never too late to desecrate an ethnicity.