Obligitory.. DDR etiquette

Moderator: Moderators

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:37 am

Fuzakeru wrote:I don't know if it's annoying for other players but I know when I seem someone really trying to do good on a level lower than mine I always encourage them. When I see someone who is doing better than I could I always applaud them. I just feel the need to give props to anyone who will step up on the pad and give it a shot.
In the early days, the majority of players here in Indy were like that. It was that inviting friendliness and acceptance that really spurred me on to help grow this community. This attitude has fallen by the wayside a bit in recent years, but I'm glad to see that some people still get it.

Pheadra
Standard
Standard

Post by Pheadra » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:48 am

Ho wrote:
Fuzakeru wrote:I don't know if it's annoying for other players but I know when I seem someone really trying to do good on a level lower than mine I always encourage them. When I see someone who is doing better than I could I always applaud them. I just feel the need to give props to anyone who will step up on the pad and give it a shot.
In the early days, the majority of players here in Indy were like that. It was that inviting friendliness and acceptance that really spurred me on to help grow this community. This attitude has fallen by the wayside a bit in recent years, but I'm glad to see that some people still get it.
Thats how it is at Gameworks still. And if we do make fun of eachother it is all in good fun. The location where GWs is located it gets a lot of noobs just passing through. Many times I have seen the known 'assholes' here on IndyDDR be quite nice and helpful and even congragulating players that did pretty well...Ho you should come to GWs more often!
ImageThe secret to life is, oh look! Something Shiny!Image

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:54 am

That's very good to hear. GW was, afterall, where I 'grew up' as a DDR player. I'll see if I can stop by sometime...it has been quite awhile.

Fujiwara Bunta
Standard
Standard

Post by Fujiwara Bunta » Tue Mar 29, 2005 11:43 am

DDR etiquette is ridiculous and very much dead; it's one of the reasons I quit. Seldom have I seen a line/token system that worked, and people just cut and took peoples' turns in line anyway. I've been known for going twice; but only if it was okay with everyone else around.

tang
Standard
Standard

Post by tang » Tue Mar 29, 2005 7:29 pm

Before Time Out closed fdown we had a coin line and such. But then the DDR community got too big so it dsidn't work. I brought in an erase board and dry erase marker put it on the wall right next to the DDr machine and everything worked after that. But a couple months later they closed down...but not cause of that heh.

Fuzakeru
Standard
Standard

Post by Fuzakeru » Tue Mar 29, 2005 9:23 pm

Ho wrote: In the early days, the majority of players here in Indy were like that. It was that inviting friendliness and acceptance that really spurred me on to help grow this community. This attitude has fallen by the wayside a bit in recent years, but I'm glad to see that some people still get it.
Sadly enough, while in the beginning stages of trying to handle Standard ( Oh my, what a terror that was and the fun I await attempting Heavy soon ) I was at an arcade here in Waterford and after seeing my boyfriend and I play ( and suck, kthnx, heart! ) this guy got up instantly, asked if he could play, and then did some crazy shit that I still can't figure out. I don't mind him showing off ( I love watching people go nuts! ) but it was the smug and rude way he did it that bothered me. If a courteous manner isn't used in helping newer people in to the DDR realm then the very most we are accomplishing by 'pwning teh newbs' is simply scaring them off. THAT is how DDR is dying in my eyes. I sometimes tire of trying to advance myself strictly due to others actions that are similar to this or at least that's what made me buy a pad and an awful home version of the game for a while.

For the most part though I'd have to say my experiences in DDR are more good than bad. Perhaps that's simply because I have someone who is on the same level as me and improving at the same rate as I am. If I didn't have that then I doubt I'd have the courage to do this on my own.

The people here that I've had the pleasure to talk to have restored my faith in the general population, thankfully. Hell, we are all nerds here . . . if we aren't there for each other than who will be? :D

Mosh_Mosh_Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Mosh_Mosh_Revolution » Wed Mar 30, 2005 4:29 pm

The X wrote: If you don't play, don't be a dip and start insulting players after they play by getting on the pad and stomping around like you're going into a seizure.
It's uncalled for, it's stupid, and it shows that you're an absolute ass, making fun of people that are just trying to enjoy themselves.
Troll over the Fort Wayne Gettin' Together thread and find LikeableRodent's "Fuck Gay" video.

Oh my god.

Please. It will be worth your time.

Even if it is just to see him nance across the parking lot singing "fuck gay! fuck gay! fuck gay!" in a very giddy manner.
No more eggs! :D
An actual signature will come soon, I suppose.

TylerHHS
Standard
Standard

Post by TylerHHS » Wed Mar 30, 2005 5:19 pm

I pretty much agree with X's and Fluffy's posts about courtesy. Parent's who let their kids just do whatever(cough TnT cough) get really annoying.
Yeah, no shit, one time I was there and I was playing doubles when out of nowhere this 4-year-old black girl got on the pad and I didn't see her since I was on the other pad, then I ran into her. She kept getting on too, which really pissed me off.

dancing queen iu
Standard
Standard

Post by dancing queen iu » Sat Apr 09, 2005 5:48 am

^

I'm sure it mattered that she was black.

Anyway, don't flail your arms completely outstretched if people will be walking close by. At the Union I saw this girl stick her arm out and knock the fuck out of a guy's face.

Common social sense doesn't really apply to DDR because most DDR players are socially awkward geeks anyway, everyone knows that...
I'm IndyDDR's Favourite #1 Bitch