Obligitory.. DDR etiquette

Moderator: Moderators

BeatmaniacIIDX
Standard
Standard

Obligitory.. DDR etiquette

Post by BeatmaniacIIDX » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:32 pm

DDR Etiquette... We covered this like 20k times in the old forums, but it's something some newbies need.

1. Token Line, Card Line, Lego Stack, etc.- Wait your turn! No one likes it when people randomly run in front of them and take their spot. Also, don't play for 3 or 4 games if people are waiting to play.

2. Dont Get The Pads Dirty- If your shoes are encrusted with dirt, go outside and beat the dirt off. Dirt makes the pads slippery, makes appearance worse, and can mess up the machine.

Add more people...

Gatekeeper
Standard
Standard

Post by Gatekeeper » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:39 pm

If you aren't sure what kind of line is happening at the machine, don't be shy! Say in a loud, clear voice "Who's got next?". It's easy, and can save a lot of hurt feelings.

A lot of players are to the point in the game right now where they aren't in any particular hurry or care about playing the game, and just sit around the machine, taking turns without any kind of organized system, or any system at all! They just know each other well enough and have played the game long enough that it's just not a big deal if somebody goes out of turn.

It can be a little annoying when somebody comes up and starts putting coins in when there are already people waiting, especially if the person playing is trying to PA a song. So please, start with a nice friendly "Hey guys, who's got next?" and go from there.

Gumby
Standard
Standard

Post by Gumby » Mon Mar 14, 2005 3:28 pm

whenever you are choosing a song, it is nice to assume the person will want to change some of the mods, so hold down the start button even if you don't ever mod anything. It's not like it's a big pain to just hit the start on all the mod selections to stay on the default, but it really sucks if someone wants to turn their speed mod on or off.
I don't fear death; I fear not living.

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:40 pm

don't play doubles when there is a line and you aren't playing heavy.

I fucking hate watching some noob kid jump up do LIGHT DOUBLES and waste everybody's time.

Also, don't ask to go alone. I'll say no because there are two pads, accept it or leave.

God Of Rock
Standard
Standard

Post by God Of Rock » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:50 pm

Most of my rules are for people who dont play ddr/itg:

Like:
1. Keep your fucking todlers off the pad while Im playing.
2. Keep your fucking skee balls off the pad while Im playing.
3. Dont come up and yell 'Damn he's servin that!' while Im playing.

You know what? If you're not my friend just leave me alone
while Im playing....

djfooboo
Standard
Standard

Post by djfooboo » Mon Mar 14, 2005 5:51 pm

My number one rule is to not play Time Crisis at Eastside Rascals when others are playing DDR.

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Mon Mar 14, 2005 7:36 pm

-Back up from the stage when not playing. I'm tired of kids coming up and just grabbing onto the bar and putting their feet on the back of the stage.
-Keep all kids away while someone is playing. People shadowing is okay, but random kids jumping up and stoming and getting on your side is too much.
-Keep all clothing items you take off away from the sides of the stage. They will be stepped on.
indyddr.com - "THE DUMBEST forum on the Web."

Mosh_Mosh_Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Mosh_Mosh_Revolution » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:22 pm

God Of Rock wrote:Most of my rules are for people who dont play ddr/itg:

Like:
1. Keep your fucking todlers off the pad while Im playing.
2. Keep your fucking skee balls off the pad while Im playing.
3. Dont come up and yell 'Damn he's servin that!' while Im playing.
Damn straight. -.-

And nothing quite like having somebody walk up and yell at you while you're in the middle of your game...? Yeah, that blows, too. And then having to try to calm the raging beast while you should be choosing another song? Yep, same.

But that's just one of my own experiences. Let's see...

If you're playing with somebody else, for heavens sakes, ask if they would like to pick. If they pick two of the three songs, phenomenal. If you play with them again, you should get to pick two of the songs. But don't be a jerk and pick all three. I tend to like it when people pick songs when I'm playing, because then I get around to playing songs I probably wouldn't have if I hadn't have played a round with them. But if you play with a person often and they expect to pick every song regardless of whether you want to play that song or not, and regardless of whether you were using your own tokens or not, it gets really annoying.

And unless you have talent and you're just screwing around, please don't do the robot while you're dancing. >_< I saw a guy do this at Putt-Putt one day a couple months ago. He appeared to have stepped clean out of the '80s, doing the robot on DDR. o_o

Otherwise, I think my only complaint is people playing the same song over and over again. I used to know of one guy that played nothing but Captain Jack. So I told him he needed a new song. And he picked Dam Dariram. -.- And another kid that plays Butterfly continuously. And a guy I play with semi-often over at Lazer X used to play Seniorita all the time (thankfully he's graduated from that stage, though).

Yaaaaaay..... [/rant]
No more eggs! :D
An actual signature will come soon, I suppose.

Hoody2006
Standard
Standard

Post by Hoody2006 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 8:39 pm

dont laugh at people, when i first started i wasnt awesome, and know one at the arcades at first is great, its a different experience, but when some jerk tries to laugh and make fun of a bad routine it sucks. Just give advice dont say they are horrible DDR. People need to realize its a game. Its not like D&D or anything
if it doesnt matter who wins or loses then why do they keep score
-Vince Lombardi-

BladeFist87
Standard
Standard

Post by BladeFist87 » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:04 pm

Hoody2006 wrote:dont laugh at people, when i first started i wasnt awesome, and know one at the arcades at first is great, its a different experience, but when some jerk tries to laugh and make fun of a bad routine it sucks. Just give advice dont say they are horrible DDR. People need to realize its a game. Its not like D&D or anything
BECAUSE D&D IS A SERIOUS, LIFE AND DEATH ORDEAL! YOU DONT WANT TO GET YOUR ASS BURNT BY A LARGE TROGDOR STEPPING OUT OF YOUR LEVEL 15 DUNGEON RIGHT?!?!?

sorry just had to take a stab at that one...but yea its not cool to poke fun at noobs, we were all there once.

And the answer is: Yes, I did in fact, jack this idea from OrangeLounger. Booya.

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:07 pm

Hoody2006 wrote:dont laugh at people, when i first started i wasnt awesome, and know one at the arcades at first is great, its a different experience, but when some jerk tries to laugh and make fun of a bad routine it sucks. Just give advice dont say they are horrible DDR. People need to realize its a game. Its not like D&D or anything
ill laugh at anybody who opens themselve up for it.

aka bad freestyle.

Pheadra
Standard
Standard

Post by Pheadra » Tue Mar 15, 2005 5:15 pm

OH boy, I have a few.

As if some people dont already do this, but I have come across it everynow and then.

Always ask if the song you want is alright with them. For example...I HATE Frozen Ray, nor can I pass it, I would much rather spend my engery and money on a song I can barely pass and enjoy then not passing at all.

I also hate it when you aren't exactly doing your best and someone wants to 'help' you and tries to speak the beat to you. Like that help thingy on home versions. Knock it off, unless they ask for help, let them fail or whatnot. The beat thing just makes me loose my concentration and fail the song Im already failing.

I also dont like how if someone fails a certain song that people will make comments like "Oh could they fail that song its sooo easy?" I understand if you are joking and the person isn't upset about failing, but just eh, respect eachother and their feelings!
ImageThe secret to life is, oh look! Something Shiny!Image

Hoody2006
Standard
Standard

Post by Hoody2006 » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:00 pm

BECAUSE D&D IS A SERIOUS, LIFE AND DEATH ORDEAL! YOU DONT WANT TO GET YOUR ASS BURNT BY A LARGE TROGDOR STEPPING OUT OF YOUR LEVEL 15 DUNGEON RIGHT?!?!?
it was a joke you know just for laughs
if it doesnt matter who wins or loses then why do they keep score
-Vince Lombardi-

Yume_Taira
Standard
Standard

Post by Yume_Taira » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:18 pm

I think it's just a matter of common sense and common courtesy. ^_^

I mean, if you just follow the basic rules of being nice and tolerant, there wouldn't be much problem.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Tue Mar 15, 2005 6:50 pm

Yume_Taira wrote:I think it's just a matter of common sense and common courtesy. ^_^
Perhaps you haven't noticed that in the real world many people seem to lack such knowledge...or at least choose not to exercise it? Driving anywhere in town ought to be proof enough of that. ;)