Does anyone here actually have a Cobalt Flux pad?

Moderator: Moderators

PrototypePacifist
Standard
Standard

Does anyone here actually have a Cobalt Flux pad?

Post by PrototypePacifist » Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:50 pm

I'm going to be getting about $266 or so in about 3 weeks. That's almost enough to get a CF pad! :D I've read a lot of bad reports about Red Octane metal pads breaking and crap like that, and RO and CF are the only two pads I'd get. Unless, of course, someone can strongly recommend something else.

Anyone have a CF? I'd like to know if they're as good as they're made out to be. Still dunno if I'll actually get one, but I'm thinking about it.

I'm also wanting to try out one of those TX-5000 pads, or whatever they are. They look really nice, but I haven't read anything about them anywhere.

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:33 am

I have a Cobalt Flux and they're really not all they're cracked up to be. They are great home pads, don't get me wrong, but I hardly ever play at home. It still slides around on me, the buttons are kinda hard to press...
But if you like to play at home a lot it's certainly worth the investment.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Mar 14, 2005 2:04 am

I don't own a Flux, but I've played on both a RO Metal (albeit a very torn up one) and a Flux.

I liked the Flux better. The RO Metal's buttons traveled waaay too much and actually bulged up in the center, though some of that may have been due to the wear (it was that traveling van thing for milk that came to X-Site). The Flux feels a bit more like an arcade pad, and, if anything, is actually "firmer". They don't play like an arcade though. You don't have to hit them nearly as hard, which can make bouncing on them kinda tough. They also act a bit more "dead" when you hit them, absorbing the force of the impact rather than springing it back at you. It kinda feels like Lazerlite's 4th+ pad actually. Oh, and they're flat (unlike an arcade stage), so it's possible to gradually lose your place and not know it.

All in all, I'd still say the Flux is the best home pad you're going to find, at least amongst the metal pads I'm aware of, but an arcade stage it isn't. It plays fine, but if you're used to an arcade, it'll be a big change.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

PrototypePacifist
Standard
Standard

Post by PrototypePacifist » Mon Mar 14, 2005 10:10 am

That's the only thing I'm really afraid of is the flatness. I don't watch the arrows at all when I play, even when I'm choosing songs. I need to be able to feel where I am so I don't fall off the side. :P

I think I might just go with a cheap metal pad that has the poly arrows instead of the acrylic. I'm thinking either BNS or TX-1000/2000. I think I'd like the TX-2000 better because its thicker and stuff. Then I'll do the sheet metal mod with it, and hope it lasts a while. :P

I ordered one of those $37 Ignition-style pads with the "High Density Insert" from Harts Unlimited last night. I wanted a Level Six one, but they've been in backorder since December or so. I'll let everyone know how it works when I get it. Shouldn't be but a week or two, I would think. :D

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:00 am

One thing to watch out for with "ebay special" metal pads is that they generally use foil based capacitive sensors. These are pretty easy to kill, especially if you manage to spill anything (even water) into them. They're not built at all like an arcade stage; in fact, they're more similar to a cheap soft pad just with hard-plastic on top.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Mon Mar 14, 2005 11:58 am

MonMotha wrote:One thing to watch out for with "ebay special" metal pads is that they generally use foil based capacitive sensors. These are pretty easy to kill, especially if you manage to spill anything (even water) into them. They're not built at all like an arcade stage; in fact, they're more similar to a cheap soft pad just with hard-plastic on top.
quoted for truth,

I had some ebay pads (MyMyBox) they lasted a good 9 months... but now they are entirely dead not receiving anything.

i tried the sheet metal mod with it... (my dads friend has a sheet metal shop) and the mod worked GREAT for the first 20 songs... but then after that it worked worse than the orriginal pads that i had on there. although i tried that about 6 months into having the pad...

what i did after that is i took some sand paper and scrubbed the copper recievers down so that the stuff that came off of the metal (on the bottom of the button) and then after that the pad worked perfectly untill one day when it just died... just mid song it stopped working all together and so i was like "uhh... wtf" so i hooked up my other pad and that one worked for about 3 songs and same thing happened.. it just died

they still lay like that... dead

i cant say anything about a used RO metal, but i know when it is new it is awesome :)

BeatmaniacIIDX
Standard
Standard

Post by BeatmaniacIIDX » Mon Mar 14, 2005 1:11 pm

I have a CF and there's nothing wrong with it, but as stated, it's no ASC. After a while, you have to rebend the arrows though. Oh, and clean it with canned air.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Mon Jun 13, 2005 9:28 am

I own 2 CFs and can say that their quality is very good. As for the flatness issue, I know this might have been mentioned already but an arcade style modding kit is now available from the CF website.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Mon Jun 13, 2005 5:03 pm

I've seen a cf before and I'll say that I really was suprised how different it was than I thought it would be. On other forums people are like, "OH! This is as real as the arcade as it gets!" I couldn't agree with that. The buttons are not recessed, they are physically screwed into the pad so they don't move at all. They also have to be pressed more near the center, not like at the arcade where you can press anywhere on the pad and you should be okay. You have to pick up your feet a lot more as well, you can't do as much sliding at all.
This being said if you want one, that is fine by me. I don't mean to tear down anyone that has one or the pads themselves, I was just not satified with it myself. This is purely my opinion.
indyddr.com - "THE DUMBEST forum on the Web."

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:20 am

I have a CF myself, and while it's an amazing pad, it's definately meant to be a home pad. However, they released a recessed arrow mod a couple weeks ago that's supposed to make it feel pretty close to an arcade pad. I haven't gotten the mod myself, but probably will in the near future.

I've also noticed that a lot of people complain about how hard it is to press the bottons on a CF. This is actually because the screws are too tight and cause the panels to bow upwards. By loosening the screws so that panels are flat, the pad becomes a LOT more responsive and they can be pressed pretty much anywhere except the corners.

As far as the TX pads you can find on eBay... I have a friend who's parents bought her two of them for her birthday. I haven't used them myself, but I've heard they're not too great.
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:40 am

For all of you people talking about the RO metal pad are you referring to the older ones or the new Afterburner?

I didn't like their older metal pad too much, but I like the Afterburner. The panels are recessed and feel more like the arcade pad than any other home pad I've played on, and I've played on my fair share of home pads.

I've also never been a fan of the Flux because of the whole pad being completely flat. It feels like you're playing DDR on the floor.

So I'd personally recommend the Afterburner, and it's even $100 cheaper.

Blaze
Standard
Standard

Post by Blaze » Sun Jun 26, 2005 8:07 am

Mexican Ninja has a set of Cf's , I have played on them some and they are really good pads, but aren't worth 300 dollars.

elcuebee
Standard
Standard

Post by elcuebee » Sun Jun 26, 2005 2:33 pm

I don't own one, but i played on one at a party, and it's the best pad i've ever used; was able to get halfway through pulse on stepmania. (the long version.)

Ryan Dognaux
Standard
Standard

Post by Ryan Dognaux » Sun Jun 26, 2005 7:05 pm

LikeableRodent wrote:I've also never been a fan of the Flux because of the whole pad being completely flat. It feels like you're playing DDR on the floor.
Quoted for truth. If you want an arcade feeling pad, go for the Red Octane metal pads.
Ryan Dognaux
My Life

XeroCi
Standard
Standard

Post by XeroCi » Wed Jul 20, 2005 2:07 pm

I love my cobalt...
Its just flat and it throws you off... but it kills RedOctane in quality.
Arcade Feeling, RedOctane wins it..
but
RedOctanes last NO WHERE near what Cobalts.. and no where near as sensitive.
Owner/Operator/Leader of DDRKokomo. Assistant Leader of DDRKokomo: Arrow Stompers.