sensors

Moderator: Moderators

built-to-spill
Standard
Standard

sensors

Post by built-to-spill » Wed Mar 09, 2005 10:55 am

I asked this a while ago in a different topic and no one answered. Does anyone know where replacement sensors can be purchased? Our machine has two out and it'd be nice to get the pads real nice before the tournament.
Steve Fletcher

RyogAkari
Standard
Standard

Post by RyogAkari » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:21 am

It's almost impossible for sensors to go out completely Their shape can deteriorate a fair amount, but they should still register somewhat.

If you are judging this from only stepping on the arrow panel and not looking under the arrow, something may have happened like the bracket that was on that sensor falling off. I would check that out as soon as possible.

Channelbeat.com sells sensors for 9 bucks a pop I believe. They have a 200 dollar minimum purchase last time I talked to them.

Betson.com sells sensors at 30 dollars I believe. I don't think they have a minimum.

In both cases though, I do not believe they are the "real ddr sensor". It might be a PIU sensor or something just like it. Either way, from what I remember it requires modification before they will connect onto the sensor. I'm pulling this from other information read in other threads in the arcade section of ddrfreak.com and do not remember the reference. Either way, I know it's possible to put the sensor on the machine, but I don't know what it takes to do so.

If you are on a limited time frame, Betson.com would be the person to go with. I would imagine that they would ship out before Channelbeat.com. Plus with channelbeat.com you have to send a bank wire transfer and all sorts of other garbage that's hard to deal with. It takes them about a month after that for it to get to you.

If you don't have enough time before hand, I would suggest the business card trick. Take business cards, fold them length wise and stick them above each sensor and under each bracket.

Doing a general clean out of the pad before the tournament would also be a good idea. The dirt trapped between the sensor and the panel can affect it's performance as well.

O 16581 72452 5
Standard
Standard

Post by O 16581 72452 5 » Wed Mar 09, 2005 11:32 am

Yo,

When i worked for Time-Out i believe it was PIU sensors we used in the DDR machine. They were green and required splicing of the clip from the old sensors onto the new ones.

The "Business Card Trick" caused alot of problems on our machine, the sensors would stick and alot of times completely fail (stick closed), we removed the cards and the arrows that were sticking become fine. We of course had to throw away the sensors that failed, after removing the business cards, there have been no problems.

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Wed Mar 09, 2005 1:55 pm

PIU sensors don't respond nearly as well to the business card trick as real DDR sensors do. Unfortunatley, acquiring real DDR sensors is damned well impossible these days since Konami has effectively killed the game in most markets (you may be able to find some from Europe though).

PIU sensors do work. You'll have to splice the plug from your old DDR sensor onto the PIU sensor though since they use different connectors. This isn't tough (you don't even have to solder it if you don't want to). In my experience, they play a little differently than DDR sensors (they're not quite as touchy in a DDR cabinet, though they work better in a PIU cabinet) and they fail quicker. However, they're cheaper than I ever saw real DDR sensors for and you can actually find them.

Normally, sensors don't actually die (I've seen one that was completely dead, and it was a PIU sensor), though sometimes they start to stick. Go into test mode and do an IO check. See which sensors (if any) are not triggering. Take those arrows apart (though I'd recommend just cleaning the whole thing while you're at it; it really makes a difference) and verify that the angle bracket is still attached. If not, reattach and retest. If things are sticking, try pushing on that one sensor by itself. See if it sticks or releases immediately when it's not installed. I've found that it can actually be more useful to start a game and use the stage lights for this since the IO check screen is slow to update. If the sensor itself is sticking, it must be replaced, but usually the cause is dirt and grime causing the angle bracket to stick. Clean things up and ensure that all the screws are straight (and are actually stock parts or correct dimensioned replacements) if this is the case.

If you're having trouble with sensors not triggering (rather than sticking), the business card trick can help, especially with holding freezes. Don't use more than one thickness though, or you may cause additional wear on the sensors.

It can also help to be sure that the panel itself is not worn. They tend to wear on the corners where they hit the stops (and the stops can also wear). You could replace them if they're excessively worn (and traveling down too far, causing sticking), but real Konami panels are not cheap (about $70 each) and this isn't likely a primary cause.

Basically, cleaning things up can do wonders. Try that and see if it fixes anything.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Mosh_Mosh_Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Re: sensors

Post by Mosh_Mosh_Revolution » Sat Mar 12, 2005 12:53 pm

built-to-spill wrote:Does anyone know where replacement sensors can be purchased?
Why purchase them when you can just steal them from TnT's machine? <3
No more eggs! :D
An actual signature will come soon, I suppose.

XeRo
Standard
Standard

Post by XeRo » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:40 pm

Because I vow to kill the mo-fo who steals the great working pads at TnT!

Besides, that is the only good working Extreme machine we have left in the Fort Erin! :cry:

Mosh_Mosh_Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Mosh_Mosh_Revolution » Sat Mar 12, 2005 2:56 pm

Too bad it's the only good Extreme machine in the crappiest location evar.

My dislike toward the atmosphere at TnT would be the same way toward Chuckie Cheese if they got Pump it Up. Even though it's something I like and miss (or, in the case of PIU, something I want to play), there's no way I'm going to go to said locations without a fight, simply because the atmospheres are so askew and hard for me to play in. -.-

I suppose you could steal them from other places with Extreme around the Fort, but they don't ever look like they give a shit at TnT.

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Sat Mar 12, 2005 3:04 pm

And some of us bright happy people rather enjoy TnT's atmosphere over Laser X's. Black lights + DDR's flashing lights & screen = seizure :P

XeRo
Standard
Standard

Post by XeRo » Sat Mar 12, 2005 4:02 pm

Point made and noted Joe, thanks for the back up from one fellow TnT player to another! =D[/quote]

Mosh_Mosh_Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Mosh_Mosh_Revolution » Sun Mar 13, 2005 12:30 am

OrangeLounger wrote:And some of us bright happy people rather enjoy TnT's atmosphere over Laser X's. Black lights + DDR's flashing lights & screen = seizure :P
Because I'm not one of the happiest people you know. n___n

Honestly, though, when I was saything this stuff, I wasn't even thinking of Lazer X. I was leaning more toward Putt-Putt. But whatev.

And seizures... Not even going to get into that. Don't want to get in trouble. =D n_n;;