BLAH...DDR has always sucked.
9%

Total votes: 11

The X
Standard
Standard

X's rant: Why DDR sucks now...

Post by The X » Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:10 pm

Ok, so everywhere I go now, I see people talking about DDR. I mean., every single place I've been, I hear a random group of preppy trendish-looking folks talk about DDR, even using the abbreviation of DDR like us undergrounders used to do...They all talk about it as if they know everything there is to know about it. "Like DDR is soooo fun. I do really good at that game." Of course, "really good" to them is the same as beating the song while attempting not to yawn because it's too easy to a good number of us.

Now, I've heard people talk about why DDR sucks now. All of the complaints about things like"The timing is off now." or "It's just too easy." or "I don't like the CS versions" or...Disney Channel Edition......Yeah...fun...

But You know what, I don't really think DDR is that bad...I STILL don't think it's that bad. But let's face it...It's lost it's flare amongst many people...It even lost the grip it once had on me...

Why?

Well, to tell the truth, despite SN2's flaws, I don't necessaraly hate DDR SN2...

What I hate is the people who obsess over it...

Before Extreme, it was all pretty much gamers only, but soon before SN came out, DDR suddenly became something else...a TREND, something that, if you know me well, I have a major gripe against.

Within the blink of an eye, a simple video game suddenly put otherwise respectable fun-loving gamers on the same post as a bunch of people who, for some reason have to dress themselves in the lastest fashions that only last for like...5 minutes at a time and thought that the show 7th heaven had acceptable Christian values throughout the series run...

My guess is that as soon as every valley girl/boy caught on to this, Konami decided to port pop-star crap on all of their mixes because, let's face it, big companies only cater to the idiots of society...

So there. To me, it's not the game that got worse, it's the people who made it that way...

DDR's still awesome.

Trend whores are useless.

I apologize to anyone who might be a valley girl/boy who is frequent on this board.

Have a nice day. :D
This post is brought to you by BET...Because it's never too late to desecrate an ethnicity.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:30 am

Bloomington has it a bit better than some other places, being a college town and all.

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:15 am

Fluffyumpkins wrote:Bloomington has it a bit better than some other places, being a college town and all.
WRONG! (not really mad just wanted to make that point clear)

In Bloomington the DDR machine is popular amungst the middle and high school girls, you just don't really notice it cause normally you come in at 7 or after and they are normally gone or home by then. But being as I work there all the time around 3 or 4 to about 6 or so, there is horde of girls who come in and play DDR and they think they are insanely good, even though they play the same 4 songs in a row on beginner: Honey Punch, Moon, Doll, and Centerfold. If you were to work there for a week you realize that what Matt is saying actually goes on in B-town, not amungst college students as much (even though I do see some of those come in who are part of the trend) but it is mostly Middle and High Schoolers.

My one complaint about DDR is the fact that I work at the arcade, therefore, I see this girl who is like a 8th grader who strolls in plays 5$ of DDR, 20 songs......ALL HONEY PUNCH. I CAN'T STAND THAT SONG NOW. Then there are the emo kids who come in and play the Jpop songs like Doll over and over and over again. Then there are the girls who come in and play Paranoia over and over and over again because it is HARD SONG. Then there is the other emo kids who say speed mods and touching the bar isn't part of DDR or Pump, and will get mad and lecture people who do use speed mods. Then there are the emo girls who come in, take turns playing DDR and while the others aren't playing they write emo poetry and are always carrying a Hot Topic bag. Sadly that is no the end of the list either >_>.

Although it is not my prefered dance game, I do enjoy DDR, most of my enjoyment though comes from when I play doubles though. ^_^

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:04 am

DDR sucks because people suck.

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Mon Mar 24, 2008 7:25 am

DDR sucks because I can no longer play it :(
Damn this knee...

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Mon Mar 24, 2008 8:39 am

You know why the Wii sucks?

Because it's popular, gaming used to be about games, now my grandma plays it.

I hate how something good can be appreciated by everyone.

And in closing, I still lub my Wii.

.... see your failed logic?

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:30 am

my mom used to be pretty good at Dr. Mario on the NES

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:38 am

What you're talking about is the same thing that people feel when bands "sell out" and go mainstream, or underground/cult movies become really popular (like Fight Club) and all of the sudden it becomes "overrated." People just don't like seeing stuff that they really enjoy blown up so that everybody likes it because then the thing is not just yours anymore. It's annoying to hear people talk like they know everything, same way I feel about Counter-Strike, but then ya gotta remember we were all kind of that way before.

I still like DDR, but I'm not obsessed with it like I used to be. I'm not sure it's so much that it exploded in popularity, although that is a bit annoying sometimes. It's more just not having as much time or money, but usually I have a bit of playing spree when a new mix comes out or something, or it's summer time. I need to get back into shape though....

BigBadOrc
Standard
Standard

Post by BigBadOrc » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:44 am

so... basically... DDR isn't nerdy enough anymore? there's too many ahem.. girls? with.. cooties? playing? LOL jk i know what you're talking about... i was at pinheads the other day and like sum noobs come up and want to play and shit.. like.. grandmas and some army guy and his girlfriend and some woman put her 5 yr old kid on the pad next to blackcat while she's playing.. and they all play on beginner and fail almost immediately... but yeah.. sux having to share.. MY PAD!! MINE!!! PRECIOUS!!!

Sux cuz of songlists ftw. need 11s and 12s and mini, and definitely some constant speed mods because having to memorize songs where they change speed is ridiculous
groovestats
<3 blackcat

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:20 pm

What the fuck are you talking about?

Simple, more kids are playing DDR. Yes, their perception of what's good and not good is all out of whack, but the only thing that's pissed me off about DDR in the recent years is the "omgmahprofits" lawsuit between Konami and Roxor and SN's shitty timing problems.

MORE KIDS = MORE MONEY FOR THE MACHINE.

Matt, you know you're good. We know you're good. Kids who think Jerk It Out is a hard song will know you're good if you play. Let's not make this an ego thing. I know I get annoyed when people say they're good and they really aren't in comparison but you have to think if they genuinely don't understand the level that you have to play at the be considered "good" these days.

The X
Standard
Standard

Post by The X » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:20 pm

I, apparently, haven't said this enough. I only play for fun, regardless of how "good" I am. It's just when you have things like a group of trend whores crowding the machine, hogging it so no one else can play because they don't get things like proper arcade manners, it ruins the game for me.

And it's not just that either. It's MANY different things. Ego has nothing to do with it. It's a game, and I think people tend to forget that when they do it because "everyone else does".
Last edited by The X on Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This post is brought to you by BET...Because it's never too late to desecrate an ethnicity.

hermione
Warning

Post by hermione » Mon Mar 24, 2008 1:32 pm

lgolem wrote:
Fluffyumpkins wrote:Bloomington has it a bit better than some other places, being a college town and all.

In Bloomington the DDR machine is popular amungst the middle and high school girls, you just don't really notice it cause normally you come in at 7 or after and they are normally gone or home by then. But being as I work there all the time around 3 or 4 to about 6 or so, there is horde of girls who come in and play DDR and they think they are insanely good, even though they play the same 4 songs in a row on beginner: Honey Punch, Moon, Doll, and Centerfold. If you were to work there for a week you realize that what Matt is saying actually goes on in B-town, not amungst college students as much (even though I do see some of those come in who are part of the trend) but it is mostly Middle and High Schoolers.

My one complaint about DDR is the fact that I work at the arcade, therefore, I see this girl who is like a 8th grader who strolls in plays 5$ of DDR, 20 songs......ALL HONEY PUNCH. I CAN'T STAND THAT SONG NOW. Then there are the emo kids who come in and play the Jpop songs like Doll over and over and over again. Then there are the girls who come in and play Paranoia over and over and over again because it is HARD SONG. Then there is the other emo kids who say speed mods and touching the bar isn't part of DDR or Pump, and will get mad and lecture people who do use speed mods. Then there are the emo girls who come in, take turns playing DDR and while the others aren't playing they write emo poetry and are always carrying a Hot Topic bag. Sadly that is no the end of the list either >_>.

Although it is not my prefered dance game, I do enjoy DDR, most of my enjoyment though comes from when I play doubles though. ^_^
Girls scare you huh? I knew you liked dick.
I'm prettier than you :)

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Mon Mar 24, 2008 3:33 pm

hermione wrote:
lgolem wrote:

Seriously do you just read what you want to see >_>. No where in there did I say I was scared of girls.

hermione
Warning

Post by hermione » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:27 pm

lgolem wrote:
hermione wrote:
lgolem wrote: WRONG! (not really mad just wanted to make that point clear)

Seriously do you just read what you want to see >_>. No where in there did I say I was scared of girls.
go pull your pants down and have fun.
I'm prettier than you :)

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:42 pm