(Obligatory Topic) Where is DDR going?

Moderator: Moderators

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

(Obligatory Topic) Where is DDR going?

Post by chocobojoe » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:23 pm

We certainly all love or used to love DDR, but what is in store for DDR's future? Since Konami has seemingly decided to stop production of DDR, there doesn't seem to be much hope for its future.
However, with the recent American development by Roxor Games called In The Groove, we may see a rekindling of the old flame. Though this game is more targeted toward expert players, it has a chance to spark new life into the 4-panel dancing game genre.
I am skeptical now, though. Maybe Konami will notice that people are still interested in the game and make a new version? Extreme did have the tagline "We are starting over." Maybe they were just waiting on a new DDR so they could focus on production of their other, more popular in Japan, bemani games like the new Beatmania IIDX Red, GF&DM V, and the new Pop'N Music.
I'm hoping for a new DDR, or at least for American arcades to find a better interest in other Bemani titles, because the music is so much better than the music from ITG.

Secef
Standard
Standard

Post by Secef » Wed Feb 02, 2005 2:58 pm

ITG certainly seems to be the future of arrow-smash as far as I can discern. And DDR seems pretty dead since it's dead in Japan. But, I will point you to this, kind sir!

(I'm borrowing a lot of this info from this thread on Bemanistyle, by the way. I'm just posting a lot of its info here since some of you may not have accounts there.)

God save the queen. Those crazy folks at Europe's Konami HQ made another arcade mix called Dancing Fusion, another one of those in the line of Dancing Stage games. This would probably be the... third Dancing Stage game? That sounds right. Anyway, since they went ahead and made another AC mix SOMEWHERE, there's obviously still some interest in making AC mixes, but this particular mix looks to be kinda bad if unlocks (if there ARE any) don't add anything really interesting. Here's the songlist.

321 Stars
A
A Stupid Barber
Across the Nightmare
AM-3P
Be Lovin'
Believe
Can't Stop Falling in Love (Speed Mix)
Candy *
Colors (for Extreme)
Destiny Lovers
Dive
Dynamite Rave (Down Bird SOTA mix)
Firefly
Familiar Feeling
Healing Vision Angelic Mix
Heaven And Earth
It's Raining Men
Kakumei
Keep On Movin'
Kids In America
Ladies Night
La Senorita
La Senorita Virtual
Make It Better
Make It Better (So-REAL mix)
Mickey
Orion .78 (civilization mix)
Paranoia Max (Dirty Mix)
Rapper's Delight
Still in my heart
Sync (for EXTREME)
Tomorrow Perfume
Tough Enough
Trip Machine
Trip Machine LuvMix
Try 2 luv U
Un deux trois
Waiting for tonight
You're Not Here
Your Rain (Rage Mix)

While there are some interesting songs in there, #1) its grading/aesthetics are just like PS2 DDREX US, #2) there's a significant lack in difficult songs, and #3) it's a really short songlist. Also, there're evidently no nonstops or oni courses available to play and no extra stage. Not really something I foresee as becoming a successor to DDREX AC.

But this just shows that there is some interest in AC mixes still. Just... you know... wonky European mixes...

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Wed Feb 02, 2005 3:33 pm

Wow, I'm appalled at that. Hopefully they included the option to turn off the corner buttons :P

From the looks of it and the song list that's just another iteration of the horrible US PS2 EX. It seems that Konami also used that assy engine in DDR Festival (for JP PS2). Why they've now, to my knowledge, released three games with such an interface that makes me want to cry is beyond me.

Konami should start asking for my approval before they release new DDR games.

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:14 pm

Sadly, DDR came straight out of Japanese pop culture, something that takes some really wierd ups and downs, and changes like crazy...since DDR is dead in Japan, we may never see it again. It's old news now, despite the fact that some people are still enjoying it over here. Konami will most likely be busy enough trying to keep up with their market in Japan, wherever their next fad decides to take them.
As for ITG, I havn't even played it. From what I've heard, the songs suck, but I won't pass judgement on that too harshly since I've only heard a few of them. Is there hope for ITG? Yeah, maybe. But only if they get some songs that people actually want to play. If they do that, then maybe.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:20 pm

Difference between Festival and US PS2 EX?
Paranoia Respect...
Really they are both pretty bad new games for DDR, and it seems that our beloved 4-panels of glory are going to the home version toting kids who think that Ultramix2 is the best DDR game ever(ugh, horrible game). Sadly, I think the future lies only in the gimmick of it being such a different, more physical game than others, and that gimmick being played out so much that Konami can use cheap graphics and cheap gimmicks like Eyetoy support.

I personally love ITG, and thank puttputt for getting it. If nothing else, people who don't like it should respect some people for trying to ressurect the arcade scene that seems to be rapidly plummeting.

I think that as bemani grows more and more popular in the states, games like iidx and drummania will be as common as ddr machines (despite significant price differences), but DDR's future looks slim.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Mei-Mei
Standard
Standard

Post by Mei-Mei » Wed Feb 02, 2005 6:44 pm

o_o I heard that there is also ITG in Mishawaka's Putt Putt. I am looking forward to an opportunity to play that.

(Off topic... LikeableRodent, You have TMR as your avvy!! =D rawk. And Brian, your avvy is uber cute. X3)

chew
Beginner
Beginner

Post by chew » Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:42 pm

I've played ITG at Rays in La Jolla, CA with MIND. Personally, I love the ITG songs -- they are more difficult, on average 30 secs longer than original songs, and the steps are much more innovative.

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Thu Feb 03, 2005 8:05 am

Mei-Mei wrote:(Off topic... LikeableRodent, You have TMR as your avvy!! =D rawk. And Brian, your avvy is uber cute. X3)
TMR is awesome. There's just no way around it.

And I'm jealous of that outfit of his. I want it.

Bionix
Standard
Standard

Post by Bionix » Thu Feb 03, 2005 1:16 pm

My two cents:

Granted DDR was great and fun and i still miss it but, I say it is time for ITG to take over and from what i have seen it just might.

On a side not when a lot of the people who complained about ITG came up to me i told them to at least try it and they liked it. Those who still didnt i said "You just cant except cange in the world and they gave the "you are right look" to me. So just try to open your minds a little bit and you will see it is a very fun game.
Warning incoming game!

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Thu Feb 03, 2005 3:03 pm

havent tried it... if i saw a machine i would defenately try it...

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:54 am

Bionix wrote:My two cents:

Granted DDR was great and fun and i still miss it but, I say it is time for ITG to take over and from what i have seen it just might.

On a side not when a lot of the people who complained about ITG came up to me i told them to at least try it and they liked it. Those who still didnt i said "You just cant except cange in the world and they gave the "you are right look" to me. So just try to open your minds a little bit and you will see it is a very fun game.
most likely be at puttputt all day saturday.

God Of Rock
Standard
Standard

Post by God Of Rock » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:54 am

Where is DDR going?

(Looks at pictures)

....in the crapper apparently.......

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Fri Feb 04, 2005 3:00 pm

God Of Rock wrote:Where is DDR going?

(Looks at pictures)

....in the crapper apparently.......
and you already begin your unwitty and unthought-out posts with something like this. Good start, for you.

It's pretty obvious DDR is dead, shoot, most of indyddr doesn't even play anymore. I hope some of the more popular indy locations switch to ITG for something more refreshing to do.

Spartan_117
Standard
Standard

Post by Spartan_117 » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:03 pm

DDR is basicly done for. Not alot of people play it anymore.
The popularity of this game is going down. Girls don't like it anymore. And I sure as heck don't play anymore (I'm either with my girlfriend or on xbox live hehe). But a comeback may be in store. I just hope I don't become one of the tech players.

Mei-Mei
Standard
Standard

Post by Mei-Mei » Fri Feb 04, 2005 4:37 pm

I don't think DDR is truly "dead". It's just that most of the people we know, don't play as often as in the past. Personally, I've started playing more and have a renewed interest because I've found a small group here at school who play. I'll probably always like the game. It just seems as though it's not as trendy anymore. ^^ yay.