Who here prefers the older mixes?

Moderator: Moderators

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Who here prefers the older mixes?

Post by Amp Divorax » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:27 pm

Alright, I know that we have Extreme and Supernova now which offer a shitload of songs, but there are alot of songs 3rd-5th mix that I miss playing. Is there anybody else who prefers the older releases?
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

blackcat
Heavy
Heavy

Post by blackcat » Sun Apr 01, 2007 10:44 pm

I am not a big fan of SuperNova right now....and I actually liked Extreme, but then again, that was the machine that I started playing on, so maybe I'm a little biased...but I have heard some songs from the previous mixes, and I do wish that I could play them on a machine other than Ho's house :-P I mean, as much as I love Ho's house and free games, I want to play it in an actual arcade as well...

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:15 am

There are a few songs that I would like them to bring back (Flash In The Night, Kick The Can, etc.), but overall I think I like Extreme the best.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:18 am

How many games do I need to be considered an "actual arcade"? ;)

Anyway, yes, I do prefer older mixes for all the songs that I've loved through the years that are absent from more recent mixes. Afterall, I've been playing since US 1.5 Mix, so there's a lot of nostalgic history there for me.

Extreme is pretty worn out as far as I'm concerned. It debuted Christmas 2002, and we lived with it until Spring/Summer 2006. That's a good 3.5 years of the same old, same old. It was a really long time--the longest time between two mixes EVER! Fortunately, it has a large selection of music, but it was still plenty of time to crave something new--or something old.

I tend to keep anything OTHER than Extreme loaded at my house for the rare occasions when I actually play. The exception would be when people are coming over since it's one of the most familiar mixes and probably also one of the most beginner-friendly.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:25 am

Hmm...I personally wouldn't consider Extreme that beginner-friendly...I remember when I was making the switch from 5th to Extreme thinking "Why are all the songs on this machine so damn hard?" Then again, I was mostly playing stuff like Dream a Dream and Kick The Can on 5th.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:38 am

Extreme has Beginner Mode.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:12 am

Ho wrote:Extreme has Beginner Mode.
Oh right. I was thinking less beginner than you were.

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:15 am

The older mixes were far better IMO. I've been in the scene for about.... 6 years and started out on the PSX with DDR USA and then Konamix. DDRMAX2 was just an amazing mix and the home version of DDRMAX was just as good to me.

In the arcade I'd have to say either DDR 5th or DDRMAX2 would have to be my favorite mix.

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:24 am

4th+ and on were pretty much all really good. 5th had a bad interface, IMO, that's about all I can say about it negatively. 4th+'s song wheel was annoying as all get out too.
Overall, Extreme is probably my favorite mix, though. I haven't played SuperNOVA enough to get a feel for it yet, so I'm not sure how much I like it yet, so I can't judge. Extreme just had the best song list and a lot of fun songs to play.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:55 am

Well I started with DDRMAX for PS2, so I guess I like the newer stuff more. Same holds with Beatmania.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:30 am

Riot wrote:Well I started with DDRMAX for PS2, so I guess I like the newer stuff more. Same holds with Beatmania.
Ditto.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:00 pm

OrangeLounger wrote:5th had a bad interface, IMO, that's about all I can say about it negatively.
???

The interface hasn't changed all that much since 5th Mix. 5th Mix really introduced the familiar song wheel that we've been using ever since. Or were you talking about some other part of the interface?

chocobojoe
Heavy
Heavy

Post by chocobojoe » Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:28 pm

Oh, the song wheel is fine the way it functions and all, I just think the color scheme sucks, and the rest of the layout is kinda meh...

I tend to prefer lighter/cooler colors

Jeff Jeff Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Jeff Jeff Revolution » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:10 pm

Ho wrote:How many games do I need to be considered an "actual arcade"? ;)
Eight, but for it to be a credible DDR arcade, it needs people to walk by and say "omgz how does he do dat?" or get on the other pad and mock you while you play.

I like some of the stuff on older mixes.

I started on Konamix. >_< Ugh...what a terrible title to start on. But anyways, this means some of my favorite songs are B4U, the Paranoia series, and other assorted stuff. I'd be more enthusiastic about playing an older machine if it had speed mods, though.
ShammerS wrote:Nice cookies, Jeff.
BigBadOrc wrote:boop
Fun fact: only 3 posts at IndyDDR.com contain the word "boop."

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:16 pm

Jeff Jeff Revolution wrote:
Ho wrote:How many games do I need to be considered an "actual arcade"? ;)
Eight, but for it to be a credible DDR arcade, it needs people to walk by and say "omgz how does he do dat?" or get on the other pad and mock you while you play.
Eight? How do you figure that? Not that I'm disputing it, it just seems like a number you pulled out of your butt. ;)

Let's see...DDR, PIU, DMX, DMX, PPP, and Daytona. Daytona is two seats...does that count as one or two? Do I need one more or two more?