DDR 24 hours a day?

Moderator: Moderators

yamcha61
Standard
Standard

DDR 24 hours a day?

Post by yamcha61 » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:01 am

Ok I don't know about the rest of you but i get sick of all the arcades closing early. So I think we should find a way to convince a manager of a Wal-Mart of Mejier or somthing open 24/7 to get a DDR machine. If you have any ideas please post them here.
What happens when you get scared half to death twice?

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:08 am

I know I have thought about that before too... but I wonder how the management would feel about a bunch of people hanging out at 5AM on a Tuesday morning in front of the store?? We're kind of lucky to have to 2 locations here in Bloomington (the Union with DDR and Classic Bowling Lanes with PIU) which stay open pretty late, and Lazerlite stays open until midnight on weekends. The worst is those of you that have to play at a mall which closes at 9. Yikes!

Ray_Clark
Standard
Standard

yea

Post by Ray_Clark » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:11 am

Nice idea and perhaps there could be tournaments held everyday or create a league for DDR to keep up with Wins and Losses or my personal favorite, Rankings. Have up-to-date rankings on the players which could various ranking systems that could factor the determination of ranking the players such as strength of opponent(in terms of skills),wins/loss record, and many other ways imaginable. Its a long shot of making it happen, but there's always chance. :wink:

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Re: yea

Post by CaseyDidder » Mon Feb 28, 2005 11:57 am

Ray_Clark wrote:Nice idea and perhaps there could be tournaments held everyday or create a league for DDR to keep up with Wins and Losses or my personal favorite, Rankings. Have up-to-date rankings on the players which could various ranking systems that could factor the determination of ranking the players such as strength of opponent(in terms of skills),wins/loss record, and many other ways imaginable. Its a long shot of making it happen, but there's always chance. :wink:
for the ranking portion, it was called NNR. As for who is the best, its jus kinda known from tournaments etc. Indiana has way to much variations of skill levels, none of which are near each other.

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:01 pm

malictus wrote:I know I have thought about that before too... but I wonder how the management would feel about a bunch of people hanging out at 5AM on a Tuesday morning in front of the store?? We're kind of lucky to have to 2 locations here in Bloomington (the Union with DDR and Classic Bowling Lanes with PIU) which stay open pretty late, and Lazerlite stays open until midnight on weekends. The worst is those of you that have to play at a mall which closes at 9. Yikes!
I thought the machine at the union was broken???
indyddr.com - "THE DUMBEST forum on the Web."

malictus
Heavy
Heavy

Post by malictus » Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:26 am

hascoolnickname wrote:I thought the machine at the union was broken???
It may be. I haven't been there in ages. It tends to go up and down a lot...

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Mar 01, 2005 4:47 pm

Merk told me it's down now.

H E R O
Standard
Standard

Post by H E R O » Fri Mar 11, 2005 5:01 pm

That is a meritable idea. Too bad it probably won't happen because Wal-Mart is the evil empire of supermarkets, without Darth Vader.
"Being a hero isn't a choice, it's a destiny."

I invented the powder to make instant water, but I couldn't think of what to mix with it...

RyogAkari
Standard
Standard

Post by RyogAkari » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:21 pm

It would also be hard for a DDR machine to run 24/7.

It would be more likely to break down because of the amount of heat it produces endlessly and the simple fact that the monitor will wear out a lot quicker.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Sat Mar 12, 2005 5:26 pm

RyogAkari wrote:It would also be hard for a DDR machine to run 24/7.

It would be more likely to break down because of the amount of heat it produces endlessly and the simple fact that the monitor will wear out a lot quicker.
Actually, some would aruge that the monitor would do better to run continuously and stay at a constant temperature rather than heat up and cool down often.

I don't think that DDR hardware is any more or less durable for long term operation than any more typical arcade game. I'd say that the big heat generator (over other games) would be the sound amplifier it contains, but that's not really the huge issue you make it out to be. The most fragile part is probably the CD-ROM drive since it contains motors that will eventually wear out. Everything else isn't really going to be any more or less affected by running continuously vs. running only 8-12 hours per day.

The only reason why 24 hour operation might kill DDR any faster is if were actually getting played 24 hours a day. That kind of mechanical wear-and-tear on the stage would be more likely to cause a failure than anything inside the cabinet including the monitor.

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:30 am

i know this is an "old" thread.. but well i thought this was an interesting thread...

anyways ive heard about the whole "leave the screen on" thing saying that it will last longer... but with arcade games usually the image gets burned onto the screen if something is continuisly shown on the screen... look at old arcade games for example... most of em have "GAME OVER" burned onto the screen... im thinking that might happen with the headers/footers of the demo screen if the machine wasnt being used much... because it would repeat the demonstration sequence over and over again....

although... when i was on a cruise the arcade was always open... and i actually was playing Techno Motion at 3:00 AM one day... i didnt notice anything odd there with the screen...

either way the machine wouldnt be used at all times and they need a time to clean the arcade too.. (it was annoying at 3:00 AM playing with the vaccume behind me)

Mosh_Mosh_Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Mosh_Mosh_Revolution » Mon Mar 21, 2005 11:57 am

Whether it would be open 24 hours or not, Tea, cleaning it wouldn't be too big a deal. Especially if we're talking about Wal-Mart. LoL.

Either way, in any 24 hour establishment, there's a lull. Whether that means nobody is there, or only a few people are there, they would take the opportunity to clean during the lull.

You were just lucky to be playing during the lull on the cruise. n_x Or something.

I know when I worked at an arcade, we could always clean around people. I could go clean the screens and cabinents and other random shit attatched to them if nobody was on the game, or I could clean up the lobby with a broom and dustpan if people were around. Everything could get done but the vaccuuming. And we ended up doing that during a lull.

I just realized that this has gone on far too long for a simple explaination. n_x;; Go back to your lives, citizens.
No more eggs! :D
An actual signature will come soon, I suppose.

hascoolnickname
Heavy
Heavy

Post by hascoolnickname » Mon Mar 21, 2005 4:48 pm

The most notorious for getting images burned onto it is Star Wars Trilogy. If you ever see one that doesn't have the logo burned on, it has to be a fake!
indyddr.com - "THE DUMBEST forum on the Web."

Mosh_Mosh_Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Mosh_Mosh_Revolution » Mon Mar 21, 2005 5:35 pm

Yeah, the Star Wars Trilogy games are horrible about the burn. That's the one game I could think of off the top of my head that has the burned screen.
No more eggs! :D
An actual signature will come soon, I suppose.

LikeableRodent

Post by LikeableRodent » Mon Mar 21, 2005 10:21 pm

You can't forget Putt Putt's IIDX Royal Rumble! There's some awesome burn-in on that projector.