Adopt a n00blet! <3

Moderator: Moderators

Mosh_Mosh_Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Adopt a n00blet! <3

Post by Mosh_Mosh_Revolution » Mon Feb 21, 2005 12:33 am

Alright, guys, I know I had this same thread on the old board, but I really want everybody to keep up their good work in just incorporating more of your friends into the game or just encouraging newer players.

Even new people know that not everybody is going to like them, and that all the more experienced players are going to look down on them. Break the stereotype and help them out. n_n

Share the love, kthx. n_n

Use this thread for whatever you want that flows in the vein of helping out a new person.

While I'm here, I may as well share. I just got Elizabeth (a really nice girl I work with) hooked on DDR. She wasn't quite so comfortable in the arcade (although she did a very, very good job on her first try!!!), so I let her borrow my squishy pad and my DDR games. n_n Am really excited that she wants to play so much as she does!!!
No more eggs! :D
An actual signature will come soon, I suppose.

aspen
Standard
Standard

Post by aspen » Mon Feb 21, 2005 8:48 am

Adopting a nooblet...is that like adopting a beanie baby? :roll:

Anyhoo, my little sister wants to try out this DDR thing, so I plan on bringing her to one of the Tuesday night Rascal things...or whatever it's called. I think she's played once before with me in Anderson.

8)

Yume_Taira
Standard
Standard

Post by Yume_Taira » Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:49 am

I seem to adopt the entire B&A's newbie group. ^_^ They're so nice about it, and they seem to have a fun time. Especially the younger ones.

As for my former adoptions, they're a lot more than newbies now. ^_^ Ah, the success stories...

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Mon Feb 21, 2005 10:19 am

Good attitude! This kind of thing goes right to the heart and spirit of what IndyDDR is all about in the first place.

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:08 am

Heh Wisconsn is my n00blet... I lent out DDRMAX 1 and 2 and DDRULTRAMIX1... each with a pad to people... so ive been playing with my step brothers pad (the konami pad that comes with extreme) and i was playing DDR EXTREME... untill i found my old DDR USA and DDR KONAMIX :D DDR USA > DDR EXTREME

anyways.... i havent been able to really "train" them... but i do what i can to get people into the game... i just feel bad that i am getting them into it after they stopped making arcade games :(

My successful n00blet is named Dylan, whom i trained for a week straight and he improved greatly.... then after that week i couldnt see him anymore so i talked/played with him on Xbox Live and watched his steps and what he had troubles with... and tried to help him out... He is now on Heavy in the 8-9 foot range (i couldnt see him anymore because we met on a cruise and after the cruise was over i dont see him :P)

Mosh_Mosh_Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Mosh_Mosh_Revolution » Mon Feb 21, 2005 1:08 pm

Aiyaa, guys I'm so proud of you!!! n____n

So many times I watch a more experienced player step off and watch a new person fail then get back on like it was nothing. Why would we do this? We've been talking along these lines in the "Where is DDR really going?" topic. It was mentioned that the older, experienced players don't play anymore, and the new players are annoying and yuppy. My thought is that, if we're more experienced players, we should help them out. When they see how easygoing their more experienced instructors are, they'll surely emulate that as they strive to fit in.

Aspen: XD Yeah, adopting a n00blet is just like adopting a Beanie Baby. LoL. Anyway, back on topic. n_n;; One thing that I think a lot of us don't realize is that the newest people to the game can be right beneath our own noses. Our own siblings, as much as they annoy us sometimes, are some of the best new people you can come by. If you live with them, you can ride together, practice together, and give tips to most readily. I've been playing with my little brother lately, and he loves it. He likes being able to play and practice without losing his tokens because he messes up on a song. He shows off for his friends and (I can't believe this, but) brags about me to them. It's so cute! <3 So never discount the people close to you. Great job, Aspen, and welcome home!!!

Yume: You sound like the Central Indiana version of myself. See, once you help people out, doesn't it make you want to help more people? There are so many potential players out there there, and you're helping them develop the their talent. I haven't been playing long, but I hope to have success stories at some point along the line. Keep up the good work and your dedication!!! n_n

Ho: Thank YOU for the board where Indiana players can gather and talk about their accomplishments, problems, and everything in between. Truly an ingenious work to bring everyone together in such a fashion. The two main sites I visit when I log on are IndyDDR and LiveJournal. Thank you for your dedication to the unification of the Indiana DDR players, Ho!!

Tea: I wish that I could have a whole state as my n00blet. LoL. You don't live very close to an arcade, so it's understandable that you can't just call somebody up and be like "meet me there in a half hour." As for getting people into the game in the dusk of DDR's era, it's not your fault. When I got playing in July and found out that Extreme was the last mix we'd gotten, I knew it was the end. Oddly enough, I remember when I was about thirteen (so around six years ago) and having a friend from California tell me about how he was really good at DDR. And I had to ask, "What is DDR?" I'd seen the game a couple times, in the following years, but it just didn't seem to to hit home until they got it at the arcade that I frequent. But the thing about DDR is that it sent such a shockwave through arcades that other games can't help but follow along behind it. Even when DDR faces its final curtain, there will always be something else there to fall back on, even if it's not DDR. :( You're doing what you can, Tea, given your circumstances of a distant arcade and cheese all around, and I applaud you for getting the people around you into it. n_n Maybe it'll be like the pay it forward thing. You tell people around you, they tell people around them, and so on!!!

Mei-Mei
Standard
Standard

Post by Mei-Mei » Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:50 pm

^_^ wee, I've been trying to help out some Butler DDR people lately in just general encouragement. "You'll get it, don't get frustrated. It takes practice!" Once in a while I try to give pointers and such, but a few people are learning so fast on their own. It impresses me. Soon they'll all be past the heavy level that I'm on! My little goal is to organize a trip with them to a near by arcade. I think they're afraid of an arcade machine.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Mon Feb 21, 2005 4:12 pm

The Nu chapter of Kappa Delta Rho. I think we have more DDR playing fratties than anyone else.

thewrathoffluffy
Standard
Standard

Post by thewrathoffluffy » Mon Feb 21, 2005 5:41 pm

I've adopted a few noobs from Huntington College both of whom are doing are doing very well. My Girlfriend has just stared played, maybe for about 4 months or so, and she can already pass 8's and some 9's... I'm pretty proud of her... Another one of our friends named becky is also getting pretty good... moving up to about the 7 foot range.... DDR is kinda catching on here, and these are the two people that I know of who are really enjoying it.... It's really exciting to see new people get involved... it makes it more exciting for me to keep playing too....

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Mon Feb 21, 2005 7:48 pm

I can't stand helping ppl with ddr, simple patterns that you point out get ingored so much.

I lack patience in the teaching of the Didder category. I even hate it when somebody plays standard or lower on the machine, it feels like such a big waste of time.

Mosh_Mosh_Revolution
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Mosh_Mosh_Revolution » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:09 pm

CaseyDidder wrote:I can't stand helping ppl with ddr, simple patterns that you point out get ingored so much.

I lack patience in the teaching of the Didder category. I even hate it when somebody plays standard or lower on the machine, it feels like such a big waste of time.
...which makes me wonder why you're posting in the Adopt a N00blet thread.

Grubb
Standard
Standard

Post by Grubb » Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:38 pm

CaseyDidder wrote:I can't stand helping ppl with ddr, simple patterns that you point out get ingored so much.

Duuuuuuuuh, I hate the Noobs! I think we should all drop our pants and pee on anyone besides Casey who tried to play DDR, after all, Nobody could ever match his greatness.

*Beats chest like a retard*

----------

Either way, I don't mind playing with newbies. I suppose I've adobted several of my friends who I've brought into the DDR fold.

letshavetea
Standard
Standard

Post by letshavetea » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:04 am

alright... back on topic....

anyways this adopt a n00blet thing is workin out for me... i have been trying to get soo many people to play the game that it is starting to catch on a little here :D... My friend Joe said he will give me rides to the arcade and such :P and Grace says she wants to see me play in the arcade and that she might take me :)

Being nice pays off XD

God Of Rock
Standard
Standard

Post by God Of Rock » Tue Feb 22, 2005 1:27 am

Well, its using my word, so I guess I better adopt one.

um.....Shaun.

Yeah, thats an wasy one. Shaun.

BeatmaniacIIDX
Standard
Standard

Post by BeatmaniacIIDX » Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:15 pm

I tried teaching my gf how to play but it quickly became using the bar as a post for me to grind her against.