DDR in MAME!

Moderator: Moderators

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

DDR in MAME!

Post by Amp Divorax » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:04 pm

The following comes from the what's new readme for MAME 0.110u2 from http://www.mamedev.org

New games added or promoted from NOT_WORKING status
---------------------------------------------------
Fisherman's Bait * A Bass Challenge / Bass Angler [smf]
Fisherman's Bait 2 * A Bass Challenge [smf]
Fisherman's Bait * Marlin Challenge [smf]
Dancing Stage / Dance Dance Revolution [smf]
Guitar Freaks [smf]
Dance Dance Revolution 2nd Mix [smf]
Dance Dance Revolution 2nd Mix Link [smf]

Now this is a hell of a development. Hopefully they'll get System 573 Digital working so that they can emulate everything from 3rd Mix to Extreme.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Tue Nov 28, 2006 8:52 pm

That's actually quite old news. The analog IO board was pretty damned simple. It didn't do much of anything aside from providing a bunch of extra IO lines. I know I saw screenshots of Guitar Freaks and DDR 2nd Mix running in MAME many months (possibly even a year) ago.

The digital IO board will be quite a bit harder to emulate because how it works is still quite a mystery to most as the main chip on it is an FPGA, not an off the shelf dedicated functionality part (in other words, no functional documentation). The board actually does quite a bit (MP3 decoding, MJPEG decoding, UART for GF/DM link, and even some security functions). I'd expect incomplete emulation without movie decoding eventually, but the MJPEG decoder is an undocumented target on a niche platform, so I don't expect to see that emulated any time soon.

Certainly don't get your hopes up. 573 emulation in MAME is still pretty new as MAME has only recently supported Playstation based systems in general. There's still a number of bugs to work out.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Amp Divorax
Heavy
Heavy
Location: Near some arcade place that has the same initials as Drum and Bass

Post by Amp Divorax » Tue Nov 28, 2006 9:37 pm

MonMotha wrote:That's actually quite old news. The analog IO board was pretty damned simple. It didn't do much of anything aside from providing a bunch of extra IO lines. I know I saw screenshots of Guitar Freaks and DDR 2nd Mix running in MAME many months (possibly even a year) ago.

The digital IO board will be quite a bit harder to emulate because how it works is still quite a mystery to most as the main chip on it is an FPGA, not an off the shelf dedicated functionality part (in other words, no functional documentation). The board actually does quite a bit (MP3 decoding, MJPEG decoding, UART for GF/DM link, and even some security functions). I'd expect incomplete emulation without movie decoding eventually, but the MJPEG decoder is an undocumented target on a niche platform, so I don't expect to see that emulated any time soon.

Certainly don't get your hopes up. 573 emulation in MAME is still pretty new as MAME has only recently supported Playstation based systems in general. There's still a number of bugs to work out.
True on all counts as I know they have somewhat held off on making 573 emulation public for a while since alot of the games were still in the arcades until recently. I'm guessing that it will take a year or two to get Digital IO board emulation somewhat working. I am confident that MAME has been pretty successful when it comes to emulating technology that doesn't have much emulation.

Personally, I wish to god that Sega Naomi emulation would happen soon, but since it's still being used in arcade games today it won't happen anytime soon.
Memorable 2016 quotes:
Ho wrote:You can break arcade games and I will fix YOU!