Lady Banned Son of Switzerland
Lady Banned Son of Switzerland

Post by Merk » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:23 pm

Dancing games are finished... : (

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:32 pm

actually ITG3 is already being made as we speak they already have a bunch of ads out for it already...I think this will just be the last one my...but that is just my guess....

WhiteDragon
Heavy
Heavy

Post by WhiteDragon » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:32 pm

Fudge bunnies :cry:
Original Sin wrote:Besides, this is IndyDDR...honestly. What do you expect?

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:44 pm

lgolem wrote:actually ITG3 is already being made as we speak they already have a bunch of ads out for it already...I think this will just be the last one my...but that is just my guess....
Unless Konami decides to continue it, then no. The court puts all intellectual property of In The Groove into Konami's hands.

My question is though, does this include song rights (i.e. Kyle Ward's stuff) and stepfiles and such? Cause if it doesn't and Konami has to start from scratch, it'll just be Dance Dance Groovealution.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Oct 18, 2006 11:55 pm

Ok ok... r0x0r isn't dead. I'[m sure Konami left them with a great deal of cash from this little settlement. Maybe r0x0r will necro Neon FM or Dance TraXXxxX. Or maybe Tux Racer will take them too the promised land.

Secef
Standard
Standard

Post by Secef » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:21 am

Roxor just can't make a 4-panel dance game like DDR anymore. It WOULD be pretty cool if they resurrected the Neon FM concept though. I was always a fan of that since it was basically 5-key Beatmania on feet.

Dancing games aside, they have Tux Racer. What else could they really need?

Tux Racer dedicab with R21! CUSTOM USB PENGUINS GUYZ!

Ebdain
Light
Light

Post by Ebdain » Thu Oct 19, 2006 8:55 am

I'm curious about the details on this one. I wasn't aware that Konami was had filed suit against Roxor (I don't follow either company that close). What was Konami's complaint, and how on Earth did they win this one?

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Thu Oct 19, 2006 9:03 am

Many of Komani's complaints seemed to be trademark related. I specifically remember something about Roxor not including enough decals to remove all of Konami's trademarks when converting cabinets (the floor panels still said "Show me your moves", amongst other things), and of course many operators did not apply all the decals that were provided. Trademark law is pretty strong stuff, so it isn't entirely surprising that Roxor decided to settle. Note that Konami didn't "win" their court case: the two parties reached a settlement. Also, you have to defend a trademark actively or risk losing it, so Konami may have brought suit even though they may not have cared too much about it in the end.

I believe there may have been a couple patent claims as well, but that stuff is incredibly murky in the area of dance games. Andamiro (maker of Pump It Up, and the ITG2 dedicabs actually...) actually has or had (something expired recently, which is why we have DDR in the USA again, apparently) many critical patents in that area in the USA, while Konami held them in Japan. Andamiro and Konami got into a spat a while back when DDR was first taking off here and apparently reached an agreement with each other.

I've just been amazed at Roxor's ability to take stuff you can download off the internet for free (Tux Racer and Stepmania, both including SOURCE CODE no less), put it in an arcade cabinet (sometimes with the worst possible controls - who the hell plays Tux Racer with a steering wheel?), and somehow make money off of it. But hey, to each their own.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.

Riot
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Riot » Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:39 am

WACKY DUCKS

Ebdain
Light
Light

Post by Ebdain » Thu Oct 19, 2006 11:40 am

So it mostly revolved around the arcade cabinet conversion kits? That makes sense then. I wasn't thinking about those when I read the press release.

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Thu Oct 19, 2006 12:02 pm

Riot wrote:WACKY DUCKS

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Thu Oct 19, 2006 2:26 pm

MonMotha wrote:I've just been amazed at Roxor's ability to take stuff you can download off the internet for free (Tux Racer and Stepmania, both including SOURCE CODE no less), put it in an arcade cabinet
well see there objective there is to save nerds time...see look at all those people who are taking there time to get the song files off of DDR make stepmania stepcharts and stuff so they can play them a remember the patterns alot more...see Roxor is allowing all of those for download to save the nerds some time so maybe they will go out and do the reproductive act...make more nerds who again will spend time and money play Roxor games... ^_^ Smart idea if you ask me.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:16 pm

lgolem wrote:
MonMotha wrote:I've just been amazed at Roxor's ability to take stuff you can download off the internet for free (Tux Racer and Stepmania, both including SOURCE CODE no less), put it in an arcade cabinet
well seethere objective there is to save nerds time...see look at all those people who are taking there time to get the song files off of DDR make stepmania stepcharts and stuff so they can play them a remember the patterns alot more...see Roxor is allowing all of those for download to save the nerds some time so maybe they will go out and do the reproductive act...make more nerds who again will spend time and money play Roxor games... ^_^ Smart idea if you ask me.
They're.

Above post fails.

I loved ITG, despite it being a skinned stepmania. So what? Konami ditched us tech players. I honestly still believe Supernova was brought about in response to In The Groove's success. People saying "good riddance" or "happy day?" What is your issue with the game?
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.