Arcade Machine Maintenance

Moderator: Moderators

V
Standard
Standard

Arcade Machine Maintenance

Post by V » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:53 pm

Ok, so I hope you all know by now that I work at Great X-Scape Arcade [if you didn't, you know now]. So, every time I open the arcade I clean the dancing pads on both machines [Pump and SuperNova].

This may seem pointless and/or picky or whatever, but I was wondering if anyone [preferrably someone who owns a machine themselves or has to clean them regularly] has any simple maintenance tips on keeping the machines in their best condition?

I feel like Windex just isn't enough sometimes :wink:

P.S. It seems as though the left speaker problem we've been having with SuperNova is a result of the upgrade we received, not wiring issues. :?

lgolem
Heavy
Heavy

Post by lgolem » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:58 pm

V...I don't see it pointless at all....if you don't do regular cleaning on it the dirt will get in and F with the sensors....just my little opinion on it. And also when I open I would use the vacumm cleaner on the edges of the buttons for the purpose of the dirt that has already fallen in the cracks
Last edited by lgolem on Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:59 pm

I wrote an article on stage maintenance a few years ago. You can find it here:

http://www.indyddr.com/features/stage.htm

However, I wouldn't think you'd need to as much as all that any more often than 6-8 months or so unless GXS is a lot dirtier than I think it is. ;)

MonMotha
Site Code Monkey
Site Code Monkey

Post by MonMotha » Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:48 pm

That stuff pretty much all applies to Pump as well, since the stages are built almost exactly the same way. For casual cleaning, just vacuuming it out is probably sufficient, since removing all the hardware and putting it back on takes a LONG time.

In addition, for Pump (and possibly DDR:SN as well), there's a lot more airflow in the back of that cabinet due to the fans. You'll probably want to yank the back every few months and clean out the dust to make sure everything is still ventilated. Check for proper fan operation while you're in there, as well (there's the two big ones on the back of the cabinet, one on the side of the system unit, one inside the system unit on the processor, and one on the side of the amp on the shelf below the system unit). Most of the problems I've heard of with flakey Pump machines turn out to be related to fan troubles, so some PM is probably worth it.

Also, I've found out that you shouldn't use 409 on dance panels. It leaves a residue that gets sticky over time. Windex is much better. Just for reference since I know you're currently using Windex.
A normality test:
+++ATH
If you are no longer connected to the internet, you need to apply more wax to your modem: it'll make it go faster.
If you find this funny, you're a nerd.
If neither of the above apply, you are normal. Congratulations.