Seriously...Where is DDR going?

Moderator: Moderators

Fuzakeru
Standard
Standard

Post by Fuzakeru » Tue Feb 22, 2005 6:44 pm

Yeah! Stupid 'trendy' wannabes totally hackin' up teh DDR scene! >=O -cough- Sorry. Anyhow . . .

Yeah, I'm one of those newbs who just got started playing a little while ago after almost a year and a half of watching all my friends play. Until just recently I just played Light to play but never attempted to get better because I was afraid of looking like a dumbass messing up. =/
Anyhow, for someone like me who is just coming in to the DDR scene as a real fan and not just an observing poser it's a bit discouraging to find that there's something better out there now. It kinda gives you that always-a-step-behind feeling. That's just from my perspective though.

Anyhow, I'm extremely happy those who have played DDR to the point of boredom now have something new to occupy their dancing needs regardless.

I haven't seen an ITG anywhere here in Michigan but I'll start lookin'. I'm sure when I come down to visit Erin will introduce me to this coridnated death trap. I'll start praying now I don't fall on my ass and look to stupid. xD!

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:28 pm

Dont worry Fuzakeru, half the ppl bitching about it being trendy now are the ones who are playing for that exact reason.

Spazz
Standard
Standard

Post by Spazz » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:02 pm

The X wrote:DDR is turning into too much of a "trend", if you ask me.

All the people I see only play because all there friends are playing it, and they never move off of beginner mode. They just play it because everyone they know is.

ITG is only getting popular because of all the high-staminated Tech players who got bored with the steps on DDR.

I say Give DDR another year. It'll be gone by then.

As for ITG, dunno don't care. Time'll tell, and I more than likely.....will still not care.

You trying to tell me that you didn't start playing didder because you saw someone else and thought it was neat? I started playing because all of my friends pestered me. DDR is the gayest (sorry for those of the gay community out there, but too bad :p) game over here in the US. Period. I don't even see why we all play it so much and look like idiots to all of these people standing around and gawking. Oh, wait... we're just trying to have fun. Like all of these new people. *GASP*

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Sat Feb 26, 2005 2:26 pm

it is 'gay,' so to speak, and yeah, we do look like idiots. When I first saw my friends playing it, I wanted nothing to do with it. I watched, but I didn't play, because there were always big groups of people standing around staring, and I'd feel like a complete idiot.
However, after a few months of pestering, Chris and Sam got me to play on a night when no one else was there, so I could at least get up to light mode, and feel completely lame.
As for it being trendy, I dunno. There were generally only certain people that would play it when I started, but more recently, there's been a lot of people I've never seen before playing it, and a lot more 'noobs,' I guess you'd call them. Perhaps it's trendy, but I still think it's falling out of style. If it does, that'll make it a little easier for me to start playing again. I don't like playing with ten million people standing around the machine. I'm decent, but I don't like crowds around me when I play.

Pheadra
Standard
Standard

Post by Pheadra » Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:01 pm

Original Sin wrote:it is 'gay,' so to speak, and yeah, we do look like idiots. When I first saw my friends playing it, I wanted nothing to do with it. I watched, but I didn't play, because there were always big groups of people standing around staring, and I'd feel like a complete idiot.
However, after a few months of pestering, Chris and Sam got me to play on a night when no one else was there, so I could at least get up to light mode, and feel completely lame.
As for it being trendy, I dunno. There were generally only certain people that would play it when I started, but more recently, there's been a lot of people I've never seen before playing it, and a lot more 'noobs,' I guess you'd call them. Perhaps it's trendy, but I still think it's falling out of style. If it does, that'll make it a little easier for me to start playing again. I don't like playing with ten million people standing around the machine. I'm decent, but I don't like crowds around me when I play.
Im the same way. I dont like playing in front of crowds if I can help it.

I only started to play because Craig begged me to play, and I went for a whole year without playing. Finally I got bored and played with Matt (so I wouldn't fail) and thats how I went from light to Standard in one hour! ^_^. And I still do that now. If there is a heavy song that I want to try and not fail, I always have someone who is better then me play with me!

As far as DDR as a trend or a style, I could really give a crap. Im having fun, sweating, and killing my feet....Its much more fun then sitting on my ass doing nothing...or studying for that matter. :P
ImageThe secret to life is, oh look! Something Shiny!Image

Ebola Gay
Standard
Standard
Location: Outside your bedroom window, cleverly hidden by shrubs.

Post by Ebola Gay » Sat Feb 26, 2005 7:30 pm

I've never understood why people always get so upset about things being "trendy". Maybe new people arn't doing it to be trendy, maybe they just didn't know about it before? Maybe they're doing it because it's fun?
Signatures sure are awesome.

sonykid753
Standard
Standard

Post by sonykid753 » Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:59 am

i dont mind playing with big crowds of people if they are just so whoaed that they arent talking and none of them are gonna jump in front of me in line
AAA's - 1
1. kind lady

SDG's - 17
17. sexy planet oni - 5
16. its raining men - 8
15. butterfly - 5

Original Sin
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Original Sin » Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:32 am

Ebola Gay wrote:I've never understood why people always get so upset about things being "trendy". Maybe new people arn't doing it to be trendy, maybe they just didn't know about it before? Maybe they're doing it because it's fun?
There's nothing wrong with doing something because it's fun. However, in general, people that do things only because they're trendy irritate me subconsciously. Like the people that buy all new clothes when a new fashion trend rolls around, and refuse to wear the 'old' trendy clothes.

pkmnx
Standard
Standard

Post by pkmnx » Sun Feb 27, 2005 11:34 pm

Two topics are covered here, it seems.

1) DDR's future.

DDR is dead - it's as simple as that. Its future doesn't exist, because it has no present. Konami of Japan hasn't put out a game since Festival, I believe, and that's the last one. Unless there's more sales than I'm aware of, Fusion (European release) is going to be the last game branded with the DDR name ever. Ultramix 3 is a possibility, but if it's released, its sales will be poor. I doubt it'll happen.

2) ITG is better than DDR.

See my topic on this for all the details, but to sum it up as it relates to THIS topic:

ITG is DDR as the hardcore DDR fans want it, with enough newbie-friendly options to be good. ITG is just starting, whereas DDR is just ending. It's a passing of the torch; if you don't like ITG, you will soon. If it's still going strong in a year or so (as I hope it will), most Extreme machines will be "upgraded" to ITG, and most places with 2 machines will have one be ITG.

Does this mean I hate DDR? No. I'm just sick of Extreme, really. My optimal situation? An arcade that flips mixes of both DDR and ITG every few weeks, or on popularity. How much do burned copies of 4th+ through MAX2 cost? Think about it.
Last edited by pkmnx on Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rusty Shackleford
Standard
Standard

Post by Rusty Shackleford » Mon Feb 28, 2005 2:57 am

I dont play ddr very much at all at the arcade anymore. I just got tired of people staring at me and making fun of me so I just play at home. Where I know I always have plenty of A/C and water.

I really think ddr is fading out too, it just isnt as popular as it use to be

Spazz
Standard
Standard

Post by Spazz » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:42 am

Rusty Shackleford wrote:I really think ddr is fading out too, it just isnt as popular as it use to be
DDR is one of those things in pop culture that we call a "fad". It slowly creeped up for a bit, then hit everyone in the face, simply to flop over dead a few months later when something else cool came over from across the pond. DDR is always going to be there, weither or not people know it. There's always going to be a Brian Ho with his didder machine in his supar sekrit hideout, dancin his little yellow heart away.

ITG is a jump in the right direction for keeping dancing/rythm games alive in the U.S. .... we've just gotta give it a chance.

And enough with the dumbass crap about being trendy. We're all trendy... especially when you're trying NOT to be trendy. Everyone's got their style, everyone's got thier thing. If it's thier style/thing to jump onto trends and fads, then let them. :roll:

pkmnx
Standard
Standard

Post by pkmnx » Mon Feb 28, 2005 4:48 pm

About the trendiness.

It really only pisses me off when it relates to SONGS, because you'll get those goddamned people who play R3, Captain Jack, and Daikenkai EVERY SINGLE SET. Oh, Sakura Light/Beginner, too. And don't forget Crash. I could go on.

CaseyDidder
Administrative Discipline

Post by CaseyDidder » Mon Feb 28, 2005 6:16 pm

pkmnx wrote:About the trendiness.

It really only pisses me off when it relates to SONGS, because you'll get those goddamned people who play R3, Captain Jack, and Daikenkai EVERY SINGLE SET. Oh, Sakura Light/Beginner, too. And don't forget Crash. I could go on.

those are called whores.

mexican ninja
Heavy
Heavy

Post by mexican ninja » Mon Feb 28, 2005 7:24 pm

Original Sin wrote:
There's nothing wrong with doing something because it's fun. However, in general, people that do things only because they're trendy irritate me subconsciously. Like the people that buy all new clothes when a new fashion trend rolls around, and refuse to wear the 'old' trendy clothes.
I hate to burst your bubble, but thats just called "Not wearing winter clothes in summer".

God Of Rock
Standard
Standard

Post by God Of Rock » Mon Feb 28, 2005 9:08 pm

I agree completely with the points Casey and Pkmx have made.

DDR became trendy, and the trend died. ITG is just here
to pick up the pieces. In time it may become trendy and
die off too. Who knows?

I blame MTV. After I saw DDR on MTV it seemed every
little skater goth poser fag got up on the pads and yelled
'IM 4 D4NC3R!!!ONEONE!!!!'

Fuck you MTV. And all that you stand for.