ignition 3.0 pad

Moderator: Moderators

Math
Standard
Standard

ignition 3.0 pad

Post by Math » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:12 pm

I just bought one today and I keep getting misses. Are these pads notoriously horrible or is it just mine?

I mean I'm getting like 12 misses(maybe more) on a song I would normally FC.

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:54 pm

They're notoriously variable, at any rate.* A few months back I dealt with one which seemed to have the sensors and some support structure placed incorrectly for two of the arrows - they had a weird feel and triggered unreliably when you stepped square on the arrow, though if you stepped a few inches away from the center they worked pretty well. Eventually it just had to be returned and replaced.

I mourn for the 2.0 occasionally. Still, the 3.0 is probably the best soft pad available right now, so you may be best off taking it back (or sending it to RO) and seeing if you can get another one which works better.

*Limited experience and anecdotal evidence warning.

Dyme
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Dyme » Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:54 pm

i had a 2.0 and i had the same problem. oh well.
Team KIMO represent!

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:47 am

Lil Dyme changed his name, too? Anyways, on topic, check out this thread I started where I first asked for advice on a pad, then, after I bought it, posted all my complaints with the piece of shit Ignition, and RO's horrible customer service.
http://www.indyddr.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1484
I'm on my 3rd Ignition within ~4 months, and I still have no go on the computer and pad misses galore.

Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Pheonixguy » Sat Jul 22, 2006 10:36 pm

Well if you read the 22839517503 other reviews from various places they all say they fall apart. I didnt even try buying one... i found an 2.5 ^_^
You will be baked
Jeff wrote:Try playing in your room where your father enters to see you making crotch gestures with your hands.

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:43 pm

So if there's no hope for the Ignition 3.0s, what is the best soft pad out there now? Or do we all get to run out and buy a pair of $300 Cobalt Fluxes? :?
Last edited by Arka on Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Sun Jul 23, 2006 1:49 pm

Well, okay, here's how I look at it:
If you're determined to play at home (and don't want to shell out $300 for the CF), your soft pad is going to break. With any reasonable amount of play, in a year or less, it will somehow stop functioning (from my experience, it's actually about 1-2 months, but I digress). So, the way to resolve this is to buy something that won't hurt your wallet to buy multiple times, and gives you decent performance. Although it pains me to say this, if you can find a way to effectively keep it from moving, the Konami home pad (or something similar like the standard RO soft pad) is your best bet. Actually, I'm not sure if they sell Konami pads by themselves...but they sell ROs for sure. I don't know if they still have this deal, but they were selling 2 of their standard pads AND ITG 1 for $30, which, in case you didn't notice is an AMAZING deal. But you should be able to buy one by itself for $20 (too lazy to check). BTW their site is http://www.redoctane.com .

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Sun Jul 23, 2006 2:25 pm

Well, I'm not so determined to play at home anymore... :P

I don't mind my pads going after nine months to a year. I guess I consider that the standard renewal time for soft pads. I do mind the probability that they'll implode in a month or two. One of the reasons I'm looking at soft pads is because they ARE a temporary solution; at present I seem to relocate frequently, and transporting hard pads or an arcade platform would be prohibitively difficult.

Has anyone tried the mymybox pads (soft, hard, arcade style, whatever)? I seem to recall this coming up in Dan's thread, and no one spoke up, but that was specifically in reference to the arcade pads. They frame themselves as Red Octane's competition, and I'd love to know whether that's the current Red Octane or the good Red Octane...

Frankly, if I'm going to go with an arcade-style platform I'm probably going to build it myself. While this has the advantage of being better for freestyle practice (and is probably cheaper than buying a set of hard pads), it has the disadvantage of requiring me to do actual work. And even this is assuming I don't make some horrible oversight and wind up with something that functions badly or not at all, at least until I figure out what's wrong. (Yeah, you, my first Theremin project - I'm talking to you. :wink:)

Apart from all this, I may wind up in charge (again... sigh) of obtaining pads for a group, and hard pads really aren't an option there since it's not my call. Though perhaps they will be, if I can bludgeon some sense into the right people.

Math
Standard
Standard

Post by Math » Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:45 am

dance1005 wrote:Lil Dyme changed his name, too? Anyways, on topic, check out this thread I started where I first asked for advice on a pad, then, after I bought it, posted all my complaints with the piece of shit Ignition, and RO's horrible customer service.
I'm on my 3rd Ignition within ~4 months, and I still have no go on the computer and pad misses galore.
Alright. I exchanged my pad for a new one, and I'm not having any problems with it on my x-box. However, I am experiencing the same problem as you when I hook it up to the computer.

Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Pheonixguy » Tue Jul 25, 2006 5:47 pm

Math wrote:
dance1005 wrote:Lil Dyme changed his name, too? Anyways, on topic, check out this thread I started where I first asked for advice on a pad, then, after I bought it, posted all my complaints with the piece of shit Ignition, and RO's horrible customer service.
Alright. I exchanged my pad for a new one, and I'm not having any problems with it on my x-box. However, I am experiencing the same problem as you when I hook it up to the computer.
That reminds me of one of my ignitions... it has a cord for xbox and ps2, and it only works on ps2 :cry: luckly i have a ps2 :D (and ive had it for almost a year and it still hasnt broken :P )
You will be baked
Jeff wrote:Try playing in your room where your father enters to see you making crotch gestures with your hands.