DDR The TV Show (O RLY?)

Moderator: Moderators

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

DDR The TV Show (O RLY?)

Post by Ho » Wed May 10, 2006 9:25 am

http://www.konami.com/gs/newsarticle.php?id=835

"Dance Revolution" premieres on CBS this September.

Discuss.

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Wed May 10, 2006 10:02 am

So...they're gonna have a bunch of "tweens" doing crappy freestyles, probably on home versions? SOUNDS SO COOL...
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Bionix
Standard
Standard

Post by Bionix » Wed May 10, 2006 10:38 am

Well i liked saying i was a DDR player. Now once this hits the air i will have to find a new game to enjoy.
Warning incoming game!

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Wed May 10, 2006 11:13 am

Well, the press release says the show is inspired by the game. It doesn't really say that it is about or includes the game...unless I missed that (I admit I really only skimmed the release).

I'm sure the game will get mentioned or even shown occasionally, but I didn't get the impression that it would be the central focus of the show.

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Wed May 10, 2006 3:35 pm

I just hope it won't be like SDP said...a bunch of weird little kids doing beginner songs and singing songs and teaching you Spanish at the same time.

-Dan

mexican ninja
Heavy
Heavy

Post by mexican ninja » Wed May 10, 2006 7:56 pm

Just as long as there isn't a PIU the TV show, or ITG the TV show.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Thu May 11, 2006 12:21 pm

I want to see some little kids play Daikenkai and talk about how much they get made fun of at school for being pseudo-gothy outcasts.

blackcat
Heavy
Heavy

Post by blackcat » Thu May 11, 2006 4:57 pm

ROFL @ Fluffy

It's kinda funny that the topic got brought up...I was just talking to Mike today about how cool it MIGHT be to have a DDR movie...like big screen movie, not TV show. Yeah yeah, the idea might be tacky...but I don't know, I think DDR deserves some onscreen attention. Buuuuut that's just my opinion.

:lol:

danc1005
Heavy
Heavy

Post by danc1005 » Thu May 11, 2006 7:17 pm

Lol they could make a you got served spin-off with DDR as the main dancing style. And without Omarion.

-Dan

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Thu May 11, 2006 7:26 pm

dance1005 wrote:Lol they could make a you got served spin-off with DDR as the main dancing style. And without Omarion.

-Dan
I would go postal on that set. Seriously.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

The X
Standard
Standard

Post by The X » Thu May 11, 2006 7:40 pm

Refering to this topic:

No.
This post is brought to you by BET...Because it's never too late to desecrate an ethnicity.

blackcat
Heavy
Heavy

Post by blackcat » Thu May 11, 2006 8:08 pm

Hahaha, yeah, and if there were a DDR movie....there's no way in hell we would hire n00b actors to do it...I think it would be cooler if it were actual players that were the actors/actresses. Then it at least seems more real. If you put actors in it, it just doesn't look right. Get actual players in on it. Teach em how to act and then say, "Here's a few billion dollars. Now go DDR for a motion picture." lol.

It's so funny how I've got this whole thing mapped out. Dude, the soundtrack would like kick ass.

Ho
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Ho » Thu May 11, 2006 8:45 pm

There actually was a DDR movie being planned several years ago. It was originally named DDR Freak and was later changed to Dance Machine. It had a pretty out-there plot and appeared on the site hollywoodmakemeastar.com. As I recall, the site would let you pay a fee for a chance to audition for various movies in planning or production. Seemed pretty sketchy to me.

It apparently went nowhere, and the site now appears to be dead. However, I took a visit the Internet Archive Wayback Machine.

http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://hol ... nopsis.htm

It looks like the synopsis showed up sometime prior to the first snapshot in 2002. It last appears in mid-2004 and the site appears to have died between then and the last archive in early 2005.

DDR has appeared in quite a few television shows and music videos over the years. It has probably shown up in some movies as well. I'd be curious about a feature movie centered around it, but I think it might be a difficult concept to actually pull off well. I didn't read through it again just now, but my memory of the Dance Machine plot synopsis doesn't lead me to believe that it would have able to accomplish such a feat. I don't think we're missing much by the fact that it never saw the light of day.

blackcat
Heavy
Heavy

Post by blackcat » Thu May 11, 2006 8:52 pm

I mean...obviously the movie would not be an Academy Award winning material....but I think just the concept of it and with the right plot could make a pretty good movie. I think that advertising DDR through a movie could attract more attention, and that more people would get interested in DDR or any other type of beat games. I mean, maybe it wouldn't attract attention, but there's a chance that it could, and I think that it couldn't hurt :-P

Heck...maybe it could make a damn good documentary. That would be more real. It could show an audience what competitions are like, and maybe the training, or just the personal points of views from actual PIU/ITG/DDR players.

Arka
Standard
Standard

Post by Arka » Thu May 11, 2006 11:11 pm

Ho wrote:There actually was a DDR movie being planned several years ago...

DDR has appeared in quite a few television shows and music videos over the years. It has probably shown up in some movies as well.
Which music videos has it appeared in?

As to a DDR movie: I suspect that if any such thing happens, it will be a documentary of one of the major dance events (though WPF seems more likely at this point). I remember thinking when they made Spellbound that it would never fly, because most "mainstream" audiences would pooh-pooh it as a bunch of nerds. Years later, when it was officially put out and nominated for an Award, I realized that every serious competition in any area whatsoever would now be a legitimate documentary target, nerds or no.

This is actually the only good trend I've seen in American filmmaking in the past decade or so. :wink:
Last edited by Arka on Thu May 11, 2006 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.