need some advice

Moderator: Moderators

blackcat
Heavy
Heavy

need some advice

Post by blackcat » Sun Mar 19, 2006 9:52 pm

I'm like trying to pass Rhythm and Police for the first time in the arcade...I passed it with like a C at home, but I can't seem to get a score higher than that because I keep messing up in the same spots. I know there's like a ton of crossovers and stuff...but like, if anyone can like give me tips or advice or anything, I would LOVE that :D

The parts I mess up on are like at the beginning and then near the end.

http://www.ddrfreak.com/stepcharts/step ... mit=Submit

that's the step chart...I'm going to consider the line right above the first arrow as being the first line.

I have trouble starting at around line 20...kinda near the beginning of the third column. The next problem I have starts at about line 42 in column 5. I have a feeling for that one I have to start on the right foot or I get screwed over.
Last edited by blackcat on Sun Jun 18, 2006 8:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:16 pm

ooh I remember the first time I be RnP at the Arcade. Ok here is what you do.

For the part at line 20, it's all crossovers (like you saw). Start on your left foot at line 20 and alternate feet on every arrow, you never have to doublestep.

Around line 42 (I think I know the section you're talking about. You can start on either your right or left foot. your body will be tilted sideways completely for that whole duration. if you start on your right foot you will face to the left, if you start on your left foot you will face to the right.

Most important thing to mastering RnP is allowing your body to turn. That is what will let you use crossovers effectively. Your body will move on that song.

A good technique (I actually used) was going into the practice mode on the PS2 version and there's an option to slow it down. If you slow it down to .5 speed, you can concentrate more on the crossovers.

It's a little difficult at first, but really you never have to doublestep the entire song (unless they are the same arrow in a row). Good luck!
dance1005 wrote:Fucking retarded bots, bumping threads with dildos.

blackcat
Heavy
Heavy

Post by blackcat » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:23 pm

Thank you so much. Yeah, I'm not completely sure if the things you mentioned about line 42 are accurate, I put the link to the step chart in my message.

I've been practicing it on the Training Mode a lot, I've slowed it down, and that helped a lot considering when I first started doing it I failed in like the first 10 seconds of it. I just get tripped up in those two areas, and the rest of the song is like a piece of cake.

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:59 am

ok more in depth explanation coming up :D

so we start out with a wonderful stream
First step is with the right foot and it alternates feet through the entire section. the LDRDL pattern is going to turn your body so you face the right. for the UDR you will somewhat be facing to the left. The LDUR is a standard pattern facing right. When followed by DUL that is facing to the left then moved to the right to do a RDLDU pattern. LDRD is similar to the beginning and is body facing right when it goes to URLUD, it is a little awkward because you are facing the middle at that point but then you just do the exact opposite of an earlier step as RUDL and that is once again facing to the right. RDUL is centered. LDRD is right facing. URD is center. URUL is facing left then pivots into a right facing DRDL and then another pivot to URUL and another pivot to DRDL and a finishing center movement of RUD that will if anything make you face slightly to the left.

Ok then the fun Gallop part.
I will not go into much detail as the opening as the opening has all the basic pivots needed in it. But this is a fun part, be careful because these are inverted gallops, the first step is not actually on the beat, getting perfects on these can be hard at first. It ends with you facing forwards.

Then the semi big stream part:
now you've seen these pivots. Start with the left foot LDURLDL is all semi facing right. UDR is centered. LDRDL URU should be familiar already it's a right facing pivot to left face. then you have the same little LDUR as the beginning then a permutation of the beginning where you actually pivot facing left to do DLD and then will be facing right for RUDUR and then left again for DLDU and the right for LDRDL and an immediate shift to the left with a similar pattern RDLDR. and then the running backwards RUDL, aniother RULUR thingy that pivots into a DLD and then the finish of that segment.
NOTE: ALL ABOVE STEPS ALTERNATE AND DO NOT REQUIRE DOUBLE STEPPING

The next part is annoying guy singing in the background
This is very simple... I'm not even going to explain any of it. If you can't do this, you might want to consider going back to standard :P.

Then you get to the fun easy steps that look hard.
You can start on either foot. If you start on your left you will be facing left. if you start on your right you will be facing right. the foot on the down arrow will remain on the down arrow the whole time in this section. (I prefer doing left in this section).

Then the second fun part that looks hard but is easy
similar idea as before but if you start on your left, you will face to the right and if you start on your right you will face to the left. You can start on either foot whatever feels most comfortable, but the foot on the up arrow remains on the up arrow.

and then the brief break before the main stream section
On the last two steps you have to say cut the drugs UHH! with the singer... otherwise you aren't cool. (am I the only one who does that?)

Then you have the main stream!
This is probably the hardest section of the song, there are alot of pivots and they can be tricky. START ON YOUR LEFT FOOT otherwise you'll have to spin.. which is still fun. Ok I'll quickly just say the patterns and which direction you will face with them. RUDURULUR is right then pivots to left for DLD and then right again for RUDL and switch to left for URU now here is a kinda tricky section that requires familiarity with the dance pad. LDULUR is all facing right, hitting that backwards L can be tough when starting out, it requires a more full pivot to hit it accurately. DLD is to the left RUR is centered DLD is to the left RUR is centered (see a pattern?) DU is actually partially to the left. Then you have LDRDL which is to the right and RUD which is facing center but turning to the right for RDL and the to the left for URUL and then you are at the end of the main stream! you're almost home free

second gallops (not chaotic gallops but require crossovers nonetheless
Beginning with the right foot, you will be turning directions similar to before but in a gallop form. This might take a little practice to do efficiently, but once you have it down, you'll bet AAAing it in no time.

then the ending

Which is pretty self explainatory.... and that is all you need to know about RnP

I may have made some errors with right and left in there..... I'm really tired.. but I don't have the patience or energy to check it.

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Tue Mar 21, 2006 6:29 pm

If you can, try to play it on Stepmania or a ddr home mix slowed down. The crosses aren't hard when they aren't at 180 bpm.

blackcat
Heavy
Heavy

Post by blackcat » Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:22 pm

Thank you so much for all of your guys help! I appreciate it...I'm tryin to pass more 9 footers. I can pretty much do most of the 8 footers...I want to try to beat Waka Laka on Heavy sometime soon.

I'm not great at DDR yet, but I'm really not that bad considering I've only been doing DDR for maybe a little more than a year. :D

Fluffyumpkins

Post by Fluffyumpkins » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:15 pm

Start with some simple 9s (catas). Matsuri Japan tends to be the way to go.

Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Pheonixguy » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:07 pm

Fluffyumpkins wrote:Start with some simple 9s (catas). Matsuri Japan tends to be the way to go.
Not in my opinion, i mean its not one of the hardest 9s by far but neither is it the easiest...

mexican ninja
Heavy
Heavy

Post by mexican ninja » Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:21 pm

Pheonixguy wrote:
Fluffyumpkins wrote:Start with some simple 9s (catas). Matsuri Japan tends to be the way to go.
Not in my opinion, i mean its not one of the hardest 9s by far but neither is it the easiest...
It's the best for learning to do turns similar to Rythm and Police.

UnLiMiTeDmAxX
Standard
Standard

Post by UnLiMiTeDmAxX » Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:01 pm

mexican ninja wrote:
Pheonixguy wrote:
umm...no it's not. it's probably the best for learning gallops to RnP. there's pretty much only one crossover, or turn if you will in Matsuri Japan.
ImageImage
ImageImage

SoDeepPolaris
Heavy
Heavy

Post by SoDeepPolaris » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:15 am

mexican ninja wrote:
Pheonixguy wrote:
Not in my opinion, i mean Mexy is not one of the hardest 9s by far but neither is it the easiest...
It's the best for learning to do turns similar to YO MAMA!

Fixed.
I really love CS:GO's 64 tick servers.

Green Tea
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Green Tea » Thu Mar 23, 2006 1:47 pm

cutie chaser....

mexican ninja
Heavy
Heavy

Post by mexican ninja » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:05 pm

UnLiMiTeDmAxX wrote:
mexican ninja wrote:
Pheonixguy wrote: Not in my opinion, i mean its not one of the hardest 9s by far but neither is it the easiest...
umm...no it's not. it's probably the best for learning gallops to RnP. there's pretty much only one crossover, or turn if you will in Matsuri Japan.
Oh, same damn thing. You know what I mean.

BLARRRRGH!

The X
Standard
Standard

Post by The X » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:31 pm

If you want to get better, this is all fine and good, but you actually need to just keep doing the song itself. Then, move on to other stuff. Playing other songs just to pass a different one isn't really the best thing to try out.

Studying the stepcharts, which has already been mentioned, is another good tip as well.
This post is brought to you by BET...Because it's never too late to desecrate an ethnicity.

Pheonixguy
Heavy
Heavy

Post by Pheonixguy » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:50 pm

playing other songs actually helped me play certain songs...